Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends,

I'm installing a Bell RX 75 with the laser package into my SSR. I really don't want anything on the dash in my beautiful Chevy.

Anyway, I want to get the wires from my sensors in the grill work to the interior inside the dash. Has anyone a clue as to the best way to route the wires? I hope I don't have to drill the firewall as I worry about RUST!
:banghead

If anyone else has one of these types of units, where did you install the display???
The SSR cockpit is tight for any kind of accesories.

Thanks!

Michael
efxguy
2004 Slingshot

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
efxguy said:
Friends,

I'm installing a Bell RX 75 with the laser package into my SSR. I really don't want anything on the dash in my beautiful Chevy.

Anyway, I want to get the wires from my sensors in the grill work to the interior inside the dash. Has anyone a clue as to the best way to route the wires? I hope I don't have to drill the firewall as I worry about RUST!
:banghead

If anyone else has one of these types of units, where did you install the display???
The SSR cockpit is tight for any kind of accesories.

Thanks!

Michael
efxguy
2004 Slingshot

There are two ways to pass a wire through the firewall. To the left of the brake booster is were the engine harness passes through the firewall, you can take an awl and pierce the rubber boot and then run the wire through the hole or with a little effort you can work it through the harness conduit. either way you won't have to drill any holes. good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great!

Thanks Wingrider,

That should do just fine. I've got a bundle of three wires, but I think that it will fit just fine.....

Regards,

Michael
efxguy
2004 Slingshot

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi,

I just finished a Bell RX-75 radar detector/laser jammer. I ran the wires through the firewall through the rubber boot by the steering shaft. Just made a slice with a razoor knife. There are other wires running through that so be careful and not nick any.

I mounted the front laser units by dropping the lower grille (you need to remove the front wheel). I cut an opening in the black plastic honeycomb to let the blinder units poke through, and secured them with a generous bead of black silcone adhesive.

The rear unit is mounted below the bumper, using some mounts fabricated from thin aluminum flashing.

I changed my radio so the was plenty of room under the Kenwood Flipscreen radio to mount the display unit in the din cover plate. I threw the wiring hub behind dash.

There is plenty of room behind the dash if you're comfortable removing it.

I also got the speaker kit which I mounted behind the dash (toss the supplied bracket, mount with silicone.) I mounted the LED secondary warning lamp high up on the driver side pillar i case I have the radio pounding and dont hear the warning.

So far no problems with the unit, i picked up state troopers with Ka band, no laser blocks yet.

Only downside if you hit tap someone hard enough in the front, or get rear ended, kiss your laser blinders & radar sensor goodbye.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
This is where I put my head unit for my remote detector.

For those of you with laser detectors, does yours go off when you pass an airport (picks up the airport radar)? Mine does....it took me a while to fiugre out that was what was setting it off. Just wondering if other brands do this...I have a Whistler.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts