Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started looking at getting an SSR. I want a truck to be able to haul bulkier items that won't fit into my sedan and to get things like mulch for yard work but I don't need to be able to tow anything really heavy etc. So I'm thinking an SSR might be able to do what I need it to while also giving me something that's unique.

I'm just curious from people that own them how well does it do at working as an actual truck. I know the tonneau cover can be removed but when it is taken off is the bed waterproof or would I have to worry about rain when I remove it? Are there tie down hooks in the bed so that I could strap down larger items? And can the carpet on the tailgate be removed so it wouldn't get damaged if I put mulch etc in the bed (Im looking to get one with the plastic bed but from what i can tell the tailgate is always capeted regardless, let me know if thats not the case)?

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
27 Posts
I've started looking at getting an SSR. I want a truck to be able to haul bulkier items that won't fit into my sedan and to get things like mulch for yard work but I don't need to be able to tow anything really heavy etc. So I'm thinking an SSR might be able to do what I need it to while also giving me something that's unique.

I'm just curious from people that own them how well does it do at working as an actual truck. I know the tonneau cover can be removed but when it is taken off is the bed waterproof or would I have to worry about rain when I remove it? Are there tie down hooks in the bed so that I could strap down larger items? And can the carpet on the tailgate be removed so it wouldn't get damaged if I put mulch etc in the bed (Im looking to get one with the plastic bed but from what i can tell the tailgate is always capeted regardless, let me know if thats not the case)?
From what you describe an S-10 or Sonoma would fit your needs much better.
They maybe very affordable and are easy to maintain.
Glen

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what you describe an S-10 or Sonoma would fit your needs much better.
They maybe very affordable and are easy to maintain.
Glen
Thanks, I agree those would be better as a truck, I've just always wanted an SSR and wanted to see if I could make it work for my needs since I don't really have room for 3 vehicles to keep my car and get this and a normal truck.

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
Premium Member 2004 Smokin' Asphalt
52,263 Posts
Many have used them as a work truck but not really what they were designed for. More of a two-seater with a really big trunk. Mine is allergic to any kind of work. 😂🤣😂🤣

·
Slingshot Rules!
89,831 Posts
Many have used them as a work truck but not really what they were designed for. More of a two-seater with a really big trunk. Mine is allergic to any kind of work. 😂🤣😂🤣

COMPLETELY AGREE, JD . . .

Your SSR and The Doophus are definitely related. If I were to load anything more than errand stuff like groceries, etc . . . I bet he would "Run Away From Home" in no time.

! :mad: ! :mad: ! :mad: ! :mad: ! :mad: !

·
Registered
2003 SSR redline red, "Tupperware" bedliner
393 Posts
I have used my rubberware bed to pick up salt BAGS for my water softener, haul BAGGED grass clippings, leaves, BAGGED yard waste, BAGGED mulch or sand.
I would NOT suggest loose mulch,sand or gravel.
Yes for some reason, the tailgate is carpeted.
I have filled the bed with "milk crates" of nuts from a huge black walnut tree in my front yard.
So, yes they can somewhat be a truck.
I do have the SSR embroided Lloyd's bed carpet over my 'rubberware liner' and keep both clean, so it's more like a trunk.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
5,976 Posts
There is a gentleman in my town that uses his SSR just as you are interested in doing. He also drives it all winter by changing to winter snow tires. With the cargo cover closed it does limit load height but by removing is easy enough to do but you need two people to do so. I just measured the bed and it is 50" long, 42" wide between the fender wells and a rather shallow at 17" .

Obviously, you would want to purchase a truck with the plastic liner which will likely be a bit less expensive for you. I have hauled bags of mulch, salt water softener bags and had some 4' long precut lumber in my truck quite a few times (Yes, Thunder has had to work a few times!) :eek:.

Its not typical to do such things but if it fits your needs and you want a PermaGrin at the same time then go for it!!!! :)

·
SSR Believer
4,136 Posts

Agree with others, it sounds like you're looking for more of a truck than a nice convertible with a large trunk. ;)

Although it's fairly easy to remove the carpet on the tailgate, there's really no option to remove a carpeted bed liner if it has one so you'd have to cover it with something to protect it. A bed with a "Tupperware" liner would work, but there's only a bout 4 ft. of useful storage. The tie-downs are good for light things, but not meant for heavy duty work. The cover is not easy to remove or store. I don't know of anyone that's left theirs outside without the bed cover so can't speak to it being "waterproof" but my instincts tell me that would be problematic for a number of reasons.

If you're happy with the size of an SSR an S-10/Colorado is probably more utilitarian. They can be made to "go fast" if that's what you're after as well. A used Toyota Tacoma would cost more but will last forever.

Your call, but if you're trying to shoehorn a real truck into an SSR, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed.

My $.02.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Agree with others, it sounds like you're looking for more of a truck than a nice convertible with a large trunk. ;)

Although it's fairly easy to remove the carpet on the tailgate, there's really no option to remove a carpeted bed liner if it has one so you'd have to cover it with something to protect it. A bed with a "Tupperware" liner would work, but there's only a bout 4 ft. of useful storage. The tie-downs are good for light things, but not meant for heavy duty work. The cover is not easy to remove or store. I don't know of anyone that's left theirs outside without the bed cover so can't speak to it being "waterproof" but my instincts tell me that would be problematic for a number of reasons.

If you're happy with the size of an SSR an S-10/Colorado is probably more utilitarian. They can be made to "go fast" if that's what you're after as well. A used Toyota Tacoma would cost more but will last forever.

Your call, but if you're trying to shoehorn a real truck into an SSR, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed.

My $.02.
Thanks, I assumed it would probably cause some problems if it got wet, one because of the carpet but also assumed there were some electronics that aren't sealed for the emergency release and the tonneau cover release. Not planning to leave it sitting outside or anything with it off just wasn't sure if I needed to worry about a sudden rain shower if I happened to have it off at the time to carry something. Sounds like I probably would need to avoid that. To be fair I guess most anything I would need to carry that would be too big to fit with the cover on I also wouldn't want to get wet either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

My $.02.
You're probably right, I've just always wanted an SSR so I'm trying to convince myself I can make it work haha.

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 S/C Pac Blue 6spd
1,771 Posts
Just to throw it out there…
It is a small bed, but I have slept curled up in the bed a couple nights using the kicked up tailgate as my pillow. I’ve hauled bagged mulch in both of ours Rs, 34 bags with the top open at one point, and they are both carpeted. You can see I created a liner with a double over tarp.

Hood Automotive tire Car Motor vehicle Vehicle

So it can be done.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur, top secret can't say anything about another one
7,298 Posts
I think a lot of the plastic liner trucks still had carpet on the tail gate. I know mine does on my 04. As for the bed being water proof no it is not. There are the holes where the tailgate hinges go through that are opened to the under side. So it would not hold water plus under the bed liner there are holes that would allow water to run through as well. The electronics are not a problem. They are under the truck and closed up good enough to not be a problem. If you had the bed cove off it will not allow water into the rest of the interior of the truck. I think this is what you are more asking about.
I use my trucks quite a bit for truck stuff also and when it comes to hauling much I have a 5x10 trailer I pull behind it. I have also rented trailers from uhaul to move stuff longer distances that I did not want wet.
The bed cover comes off easy enough with 2 people. It can be done with only one stubborn old man aggravated that his son did not show up to help but not recommended. (yes I did it by myself and my son showed up after I was done)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts