Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pardon me if I didn't research this fully on the site prior to posting...

As soon as I purchase an SSR I've got to put some decent wheels on the car, and I am fully familiar with the obstacles and limited choices this provides. I have at least found that out from this site.

I am wondering...isn't it possible to purchase 6-lug to 5-lug wheel adapters? Sure, they are expensive, but there are reputable companies that make quality adapters for this very purpose. I do realize that the adapters will add about 1.75" to the hub base, and require wheels with a different offset as to not compromise the suspension geometry. And, to keep the "deep dish" look, the wheels could possibly "stick out" a little more...all to personal taste. But, it seems like there are plenty of options to accomplish the goal.

I'm sure someone has done this, or at the very least, thought of doing this and/or researched it. I like good old fashoned American Racing Torq Thrust II's, or the Weld version of the Cragar S/S, or even some Billet Vintigues aluminum Smoothies (which may be available in the correct bolt pattern...haven't heard back from them yet). I don't mind going with a slightly smaller diameter wheel to have that classic 'fat tire" look.

Any ideas on this? Thanks again!

Jeff

:jester

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I have seen that...but that's apparently an exact science that I didn't want to chance. I was looking for infomation on the bolt-on hub adapters that bolt to your studs and then you bolt your new wheels to your new hub adapters.

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

I have seen the adapters on E-bay about 8 months ago. They are machine from a solid billit. I will have to see if I saved any info from them.

The link I saved will not work at this time... It was www.ezaccessories.com

I guess it is working now

·
Premium Member
9,312 Posts
ggoat,

Most adapters are designed for different diameters of the same bolt pattern - very difficult to make a 5 to 6 adapter, because of stud positions.

You'd be a lot better off finding a set of billet wheels made to your specs. Some companies only do 18s and 20s, requiring replacing the front tires (usually means replacing rears as well) others have 19s and 20s available, but not necessarily the look that pushes your buttons.

I had Colorado Customs build me a set of one-offs, close in design to a prototype wheel then showed at SEMA 05, but never put into production. Check Colorado's website to see what designs are available that appeal to you. Bolt patterns and offsets are built to your requirements - the only difficult area is adapting a 5 spoke wheel to a 6 bolt patters. With a bit of compromising, we were able to make them work.

I purchased them through Newstalgiawheels.com - great service, good pricing, even better if you purchase tires from them at the same time.

PM me if you need more info.

Ray

Attachments

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ray...

I've read through most of your posts and am familiar with your process you went through for having your wheels made. I love your wheels...I'm just looking for a more vintage look and a little more closed in as I don't want to keep my calipers and the inside of my wheels clean all the time LOL. I'm just not really ready to go the custom route just yet as I have terrible luck having cars painted, let alone having one-off rims made ha ha. But thanks for turning me on to those companies in your posts...that's how I stumbled across some of the wheels I'm gravitating to.

I realize the difficulty with the proximity of the studs of the 5 bolt vs. the 6 bolt. I'm awaiting further research responses from companies to see if it is even an option for this truck. I have time, but I was just wondering if someone has looked into this before or successfully done it. I would love to be able to bolt up some Torq Thrust's even sticking out an extra inch with some gigantically wide tires...for that good old 60's ridiculous look. :) I don't mind changing rim sizes at all.

Thanks again,
Jeff

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

What I had seen 8 moths ago was an adapter for us 6 to 5 bolt patter cut in 2” thick billet.
Stud where screwed in from the back and peened.
They are out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts