Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused I am a bit confused about the hub cap centers that have the little wire that goes around the plastic tabs. Does the wire and spring go into the groove inside the plastic tabs or does it go outside. I currently put it on the inside, but when I took them off, they were on both ways. In other words, whoever took em off first did not know either so some were outsided the tabs and others were inside. It makes sense to me to have them in the groove in the inside of the tabs. They sure were bizarre to aligin properly! They definately fit one way only, but that spring wire seems to fit either way.

·
Registered
407 Posts
since there is no such thing as a stupid question.....

are the wheel locks worth putting on and do they use a standard lug wrench?

thanks,

rick

·
Registered
601 Posts
I don't care what type of vehicle that you have. I think they are worth it. To make a long story short. I had a Integra about 10 years ago. Someone stole it. The police caught them trying to still the wheels. The police said if it wasn't for the amount of time it took them to get the locks off then they would have never caught them. :)

They do take a regular log wrench. I live in the Washington, DC area. There are times when Kids steal cars just for the fun of it. So I am also upgrading the alarm system. :)

Love my SSR to much for some one to steal or damage it.:lol

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:agree Locks, worth every penney. Wires? Plastic ain't so bad for center caps. I have to remove them for autocross events so I discovered the malady with them at that time. I have always had custom wheels and used wheel locks. Cheap investment for long term sanity. In my humble opinion, whatever you can do to slow down crooks, do it.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Wheel Center Caps

The spring and wire go inside the the plastic tabs.

NOTE: The caps only go on one way.

There is a little valve stem molded into the inside of the cap. This is to be placed toward the valve stem on the wheel. When this is lined up the caps go on very easy. It also pays to number the cap and the wheel, as the are slight variations in each cap.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just exactly what is the reason for this spring/wire? What purpose does it serve and what would happen if you should put the center cap back on without this wire being in place?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Redtn.SSR,

The wire is what keeps the caps on the wheel. The wire hooks around the lug nuts when you put them on.

Thanks Jimfor the info you put out thereabout numbering the hubs. I am going to do that this weekend before taking it out.:cool

·
Registered
181 Posts
Brownhornet, Thanks for the explanation of what the wire is for. It's so apparent, now that I look it, that I should have figured it for myself. Oh well, another sign of ageing. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Hey, Jim what about Texarkana?

Wonder if we could get something going up around there? In a month or so, maybe........ I might be able to catch some owners in the Tyler area at cruises. Don

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:grouphug Thanks for the tip on the graphic that is on the back side of the center caps. It really does look like a valve stem, duh? I should have seen it right away! Thanks for the acute observation. Took em all off and put em back on. Will be taking them off for my second autocross this weekend at Fentress Airfield. Yes!!!!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Brownhornet,

What kind of alarm system are you looking at? I started a thread asking about Alarms but only got one response-for the Black Widow.

Appreciate any info or insight.

Rick

·
Premium Member
9,223 Posts
pretty stong opinion - care to back it up?

I've had alarms on every vehicle since 87 - the electronics get better every year. Can't keep scum from breaking a window, but it's saved two trucks from losing more than a couple of CD's in a grab and run. Most thieves will look for an easier hit - my ignition is out of commission once the alarm is tripped, and it pages me within 1/4 mile. It also closes my windows when the alarm is set - nothing more embarassing than locking your truck and not realizing the passenger window was open for someone to reach in and grab. Never done that?

How about the warning it gives when someone gets too close - might stop a punk from keying your SSR.

I don't always lock the tonneau on my truck - If someone gets it raised over 1", the alarm blasts.

It also beeps me when I set it, or turn it off. Have you ever wondered - did I lock my truck or not? - it's kind of nice to hit a button from 1/4 mile away and confirm you didn't have a brain fart.

The GM system really sucks - I'm perfectly happy to pay the price for my alarm. I was having fits when it took 2 months for the interface for the 03 Duramax to get here - useless? - not likely.

·
Registered
413 Posts
alarms will keep amatours honest but a pro will know a way around also people have become immune to alarms Set one off in a shopping center parking lot and watch the people walk by and ignore it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts