Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I got the 30K mile service done and it calls for rotating the tires. When I picked up my SSR later and took off, I hit a speed bump and heard the rubber scraping the wheel well. Got out and noticed they had put my 20's on the front and the 19's on the back. It also wrecked havoc with the traction control too! It went on right away as "active". Spun around back to the dealership and they fixed it up, but what a hoot. They actually rotated my tires. I think that poor guy is gonna get teased for a long time on that one. :jester

I also saw the new HHR. They will certainly sell a lot of those things. Too "cute". I actually think it looks pretty cool. :thumbs

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
It's a Wonder They...

did'nt asked to rotate the spare tire too!!:leaving

RickSSR :cool

·
Registered
442 Posts
My dau had a similar situation and the worst part is she did not notice what happened. She had an LT4 Firehawk and I put bigger tires on the back for her. They gave better traction during strong launches and raised the rear of the car, giving her better forward visibility for a short person. One day she pulled into my drive with the rear down and front up after being at a dealer for some maintenance. It took too long for her to figure out what was wrong. I pointed out that she had something "different", but she could not figure out what without too many hints. What I find amazing is that so many people still feel there is a good reason to rotate tires. Many of the tire mfrs. have stopped recommending it. The ONLY good it does is allows you to justify buying four new tires at once instead of doing it the right way and getting two at a time, when they are truly needed. Front tires turn and wear round. Back tires do not and get better traction with the tread squared off to the road. When squared off rear tires go up front, they have extra resistance until worn round. The rounded off front tires do not do as well for traction on the rear as the squared off ones. I have had a lot of my relatives do the following on their FWD cars. FWD front tires wear out quickly. When that happens, I have them move the rear tires and wheels up front and put new, larger (one or two sizes bigger) tires on the front wheels which go to the rear. Eventually, I have them with 1 or 2 sizes bigger up front and 2 or 3 in back. For just a few extra dollars, handling and looks improve dramatically. Cars are req'd by the gov't to have extra room so that chains can be applied where needed. This always allows extra rubber to fit.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
speaking of tires

I have 25k on mine now. Today I took a close look at the rears. I've kept them inflated to 30psi, but looking at them today the centers are visibly worn more in the centers than the edges.

As far as tire wear goes I've always been told that was a sign of overinflation.

·
TROUBLE MAKER
568 Posts
cruzned said:
Today I got the 30K mile service done and it calls for rotating the tires. When I picked up my SSR later and took off, I hit a speed bump and heard the rubber scraping the wheel well. Got out and noticed they had put my 20's on the front and the 19's on the back. It also wrecked havoc with the traction control too! It went on right away as "active". Spun around back to the dealership and they fixed it up, but what a hoot. They actually rotated my tires. I think that poor guy is gonna get teased for a long time on that one. :jester

I also saw the new HHR. They will certainly sell a lot of those things. Too "cute". I actually think it looks pretty cool. :thumbs
Did you get to actually see the person who did it??? Maybe it wasn't a guy at all, maybe it was a blonde women!!! :lol Then you could understand why it happened!!!!

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
beer100....Bought 4 new RS-A's as I had 26K on the original ones. All of them were worn in the middle, and had appreciable tread on the rest of the tires. Have kept them at 32lbs and checked them regularly.

Didn't want to take my trip up the east coast as I wasn't sure how good the traction on wet roads would be. Satisfied now.

P/P

Peace :flag

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Tires

beer100 said:
I have 25k on mine now. Today I took a close look at the rears. I've kept them inflated to 30psi, but looking at them today the centers are visibly worn more in the centers than the edges.

As far as tire wear goes I've always been told that was a sign of overinflation.

Just replaced mine after 45k miles. The center was worn. I had mine at 30lbs.

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
9,315 Posts
cruzned said:

This is so funny I keep coming back to read it again, and again :lol :lol :lol

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually felt pretty stupid not noticing it right away. Imagine if it had been someone else that knew very little about cars and maintenance and just kept driving? Ouch! They would have had to have replaced the wheel well covers and the tires on the front for sure! :jester

1 - 11 of 11 Posts