Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
DFW TX Crew
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I pulled the lower dash to replace the lights in the AC control knobs which turned out fine, then I put it all back together and everything works good except the far right knob which controls the different modes seems to only do defrost or defrost and floor mixed no matter what setting I have it on.

I tried to recalibrate it all by holding all 3 buttons, turning it to on, hold for 5 seconds, but let go and press the recycle button but it still doesn't work. However when it calibrates it does blow out of all the vents and even on your face and all the other functions, but just doesn't blow out on the face after it's calibrated. Seems to default to Defrost Mode.

Also pulled all the fused and disconnected the battery for a few minutes and tried again and no luck.

I've tried to do some research and most say possibly the Mode Actuator.

I was real careful not to bump the circuit board and everything went smoothly so not sure why it's acting up. It was perfect before.

Again the air will blow out of all the vents when calibrating, just goes to defrost mode after.

TIA Josh :yellow:

·
Tech Support/Research
1,683 Posts
Defrost Only on Heater Controls

There are a number of possible causes, detailed in the service manual. I would first check to ensure the electrical connector to the module and to the mode actuator are making good connection, then visually observe the actuator door behind and under the glove box to see if it moves when you change modes on the switch. If not, it could be a bad door mode actuator or a broken part on the door itself (one male plastic hinge post on the door is keyed to the female mode actuator) that is keeping the door closed and not allowing warm air to the floor.

You could also check for diagnostic codes by observing flashing LEDs on the three module switches based on a button push sequence in Section 1 (HVAC Systems- Displaying Diagnostic Trouble Codes) in the Service Manual. Depending on which LED flashes (if any), it will lead to the mode actuator, control module or air temp actuator as possible causes.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,269 Posts
Odd that it would work in self test but not normally. Does the air move from defrost to floor but skips the vents? So if you were to go from defrost to vents it stays in defrost mode? And from floor to vents it stays in floor mode?

The door behind the govebox is for blending the outside and inside air, there are two other motors that control temp and airflow. I think the actuator that is on the driver side of the large black suitcase is the one that controls the air mode, the one on top of the unit is the one for temp. I am pretty sure the part number is 1572794 but if it moves during cal then I don't think it is the issue.

Snomuncher has a good idea about checking lights.
So all you did was take out the bulbs by removing the white assy and replace them with similar ones or did you take the box apart maybe a little more than needed?
Do all the knobs still work properly, all detent positions stop in the proper place?

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,379 Posts
Are there any vacuum connections that you could have missed putting back on? Kathy's '03 Monte Carlo only blew on Defrost and a small vacuum hose wore/cracked under the hood by the washer jug. I know those locations are different, but is there a vacuum line going our heater-A/C box or controls?

Nick

·
DFW TX Crew
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are a number of possible causes, detailed in the service manual. I would first check to ensure the electrical connector to the module and to the mode actuator are making good connection, then visually observe the actuator door behind and under the glove box to see if it moves when you change modes on the switch. If not, it could be a bad door mode actuator or a broken part on the door itself (one male plastic hinge post on the door is keyed to the female mode actuator) that is keeping the door closed and not allowing warm air to the floor.

You could also check for diagnostic codes by observing flashing LEDs on the three module switches based on a button push sequence in Section 1 (HVAC Systems- Displaying Diagnostic Trouble Codes) in the Service Manual. Depending on which LED flashes (if any), it will lead to the mode actuator, control module or air temp actuator as possible causes.
I'll double check all that but when I calibrate it and it cycles through all the modes I can feel air coming out the main vents and I can feel air coming out to the floor as well and the windshield. They all seem to work when calibrating, just after that it goes to defrost mode.

The LED on the far right dial (mode or function dial) was flashing 8 times to be exact which was pretty obvious there was a problem. No codes on the DIC....

Where in the manual are you finding this info cause I checked it and on page (section) 3-18 was the HVAC info but it wasn't trouble shooting it was just basic info how to use the dials.

Thanks

·
DFW TX Crew
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Odd that it would work in self test but not normally. Does the air move from defrost to floor but skips the vents? So if you were to go from defrost to vents it stays in defrost mode? And from floor to vents it stays in floor mode?

The door behind the govebox is for blending the outside and inside air, there are two other motors that control temp and airflow. I think the actuator that is on the driver side of the large black suitcase is the one that controls the air mode, the one on top of the unit is the one for temp. I am pretty sure the part number is 1572794 but if it moves during cal then I don't think it is the issue.

Snomuncher has a good idea about checking lights.
So all you did was take out the bulbs by removing the white assy and replace them with similar ones or did you take the box apart maybe a little more than needed?
Do all the knobs still work properly, all detent positions stop in the proper place?
The defrost amber LED to the far right was blinking 8 times after calibration yes. I just can't find info to tell me what that means....

Yes all the knobs work as normal like before with start and stop positions.

In calibration the air moves starting at the main face vents and then moves to the floor vents and then ends at the windshield vents.

And yes I took it apart completely to replace the smaller dim amber lights (those little dim lights drive me crazy) as well as the main lights that light up the dials also replaced. I can now see the small dim lights without having to hold my hand up to create a shadow too see if they're on....:frown2:

Maybe I bumped something on the circuit board but I was being really careful, I'll double check that tomorrow.

·
DFW TX Crew
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are there any vacuum connections that you could have missed putting back on? Kathy's '03 Monte Carlo only blew on Defrost and a small vacuum hose wore/cracked under the hood by the washer jug. I know those locations are different, but is there a vacuum line going our heater-A/C box or controls?

Nick
Not sure about the vacuum lines to be honest. I only took about the lower dash and the HVAC control module.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,919 Posts
Not sure about the vacuum lines to be honest. I only took about the lower dash and the HVAC control module.
There's no vacuum. It's all electronic control.
Josh, I have a spare control module. I can send it to you so you can plug it in and calibrate it and see if it is your module or something external.
Greg
:yellow:

·
DFW TX Crew
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's no vacuum. It's all electronic control.
Josh, I have a spare control module. I can send it to you so you can plug it in and calibrate it and see if it is your module or something external.
Greg
:yellow:
That would be awesome thank you. Let me check all the connection and around where I had to solder first just to be sure. I know my soldering is clean and in the lines but I may have bumped another joint that I don't realize.... it's all so freaking small. :|

I'll let you know something tomorrow afternoon.

I also need to wire you some funds and get the console spring mod while I'm at it.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,683 Posts
"The defrost amber LED to the far right was blinking 8 times after calibration yes. I just can't find info to tell me what that means...."

According to the manual:

"There is only one DTC for each of the HVAC control module switch LEDs. If there is only one DTC that LED will flash 8 times slowly while the other LED will flash quickly to indicate no DTC. If multiple DTC are set they will flash 8 times slowly."

If your rear defrost LED is the one that flashes 8 times, the DTC is 001 and the manual describes that as "Mode Actuator Failure." There are voltage and test lamp checks in a table to follow up on this DTC. In the 2005 Service Manual start on page 1-73; in the 2003 Service Manual start on page 1-75.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,269 Posts
Well ...... if you tore it down to the knob level to replace the lamps and it was working fine before, then I would take it apart again and pay particular attention to the selector knob on the far right. I would think that something happened in that area. Either not reassembled correctly, cracked, overheated, etc....... I am pretty sure that the loaner control will work fine, it would be a good way to check and verify though.

·
SSR Overseas, Ireland,
386 Posts
"The defrost amber LED to the far right was blinking 8 times after calibration yes. I just can't find info to tell me what that means...."

According to the manual:

"There is only one DTC for each of the HVAC control module switch LEDs. If there is only one DTC that LED will flash 8 times slowly while the other LED will flash quickly to indicate no DTC. If multiple DTC are set they will flash 8 times slowly."

If your rear defrost LED is the one that flashes 8 times, the DTC is 001 and the manual describes that as "Mode Actuator Failure." There are voltage and test lamp checks in a table to follow up on this DTC. In the 2005 Service Manual start on page 1-73; in the 2003 Service Manual start on page 1-75.

Hi all

I just want to clarify the fault codes and the led that flash

I have 8 slow flashes on left led,
Middle & right flash rapidly non stop after calibration.

What is the error for left led flashing 8 slow flashes.

Richard
Ireland

·
Tech Support/Research
1,683 Posts
Hvac dtc

Hi all

I just want to clarify the fault codes and the led that flash

I have 8 slow flashes on left led,
Middle & right flash rapidly non stop after calibration.

What is the error for left led flashing 8 slow flashes.

Richard
Ireland
That DTC is 100, Air Temperature Actuator Failure. Could be:
Misaligned actuator
Broken or binding linkages
Broken or binding door
Obstruction which prevents the door from operating through its full range of motion
Missing door seals
Poor harness connections

You can see that this DTC sets and these causes are all position-related, since the it is the position of the door that is critical for operation.

·
SSR Overseas, Ireland,
386 Posts
That DTC is 100, Air Temperature Actuator Failure. Could be:
Misaligned actuator
Broken or binding linkages
Broken or binding door
Obstruction which prevents the door from operating through its full range of motion
Missing door seals
Poor harness connections

You can see that this DTC sets and these causes are all position-related, since the it is the position of the door that is critical for operation.
Snomuncher

To get at the air temperature actuator, do I have to take most of dash out ?
Not exactly a job on my wish to do list !
Any easy way of getting at it?

Ps Joshvett did not mean to jump in on your tread, but spotted this today, and this info is good?

Richard
Ireland SSR

·
Tech Support/Research
1,683 Posts
Snomuncher

To get at the air temperature actuator, do I have to take most of dash out ?
Not exactly a job on my wish to do list !
Any easy way of getting at it?

Ps Joshvett did not mean to jump in on your tread, but spotted this today, and this info is good?

Richard
Ireland SSR

Yes, on most of the repairs to the heater components at least one or more dash trim panels need to be removed for access. Looks like the upper trim panel (top) and one defroster duct need to be removed for access to that actuator.

·
DFW TX Crew
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

According to the manual:

Ahhhh service manual..... I don't have a service manual, just an owners manual.

Well ...... if you tore it down to the knob level to replace the lamps and it was working fine before, then I would take it apart again and pay particular attention to the selector knob on the far right. I would think that something happened in that area. Either not reassembled correctly, cracked, overheated, etc....... I am pretty sure that the loaner control will work fine, it would be a good way to check and verify though.
I'm about to do that. I had a real busy weekend and wasn't able to double check everything but I'm about to jump on it again.

Thanks

·
DFW TX Crew
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What? You're in Texas and don't have Dinerman's Ultimate Drive??
Hold on, is that the shiny key with a chevy symbol and SSR letters on it?

I was given this back in April when I got my SSR and drove it back.

OK City crew gave me a small packet with this key in it. Looks like it does have some manuals in it. I'll check it out.

Sorry, I have a 5 year old and 3 year old to keep up with and can't remember half of the things I need too....

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
That's it, it's got the service manuals for all four years, Dicktator's tutorials(up to the date the key was made) and a whole lot more. :thumbs

1 - 20 of 60 Posts