Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the hydraulic fluid reservoir for the SSR? Talkin bout the fluid for the top controls....? Why is the fluid so difficult to find?

·
Jeff & Terri
1,120 Posts
Inside the black box in the roof storage compartment. This is where the roof stores when it is in the down postion.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
you can get from chevy or a saab dealer. gm # is89022748 and the saab # is 3032356. it comes in a saab can of about one pint. the tank is in the well for the roof behind the cover.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks you guys. I found out today that the fluid is on back order until April first. Not an april fools joke by the way! Priority Chevrolet Body shop and service department has done an awsome job for me this week. They replaced the blower motor that was bad, replaced the hinges for the toneau cover that were defective, and finally they replaced the bad horn switch. All of these under warranty. John Bowen in the body shop is a terrifc guy and really understands the SSr and how to work on it. If you live in my area, I recommend him highly. I should have my SSR back tomorrow. They were going to a SAAB dealer today to get the fluid. I am emabarassed to say, my fluid was completely dry!!!!! Freezer posted a very good bit of advice about this on the forum before. Check that fluid level often and keep a can on hand, because it will cause time outs and tons of other problems for you! Thank you PRIORITY CHEVROLET IN CHESAPEAKE, VIRGINIA. YOU ARE THE BEST!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Ed,

Is checking the fluid for the roof normal? I would never think of checking that fluid and do not remember seeing Freezer's post or any other post regarding this.

Rick

·
Premium Member
9,312 Posts
I can't find anything in the owners manual about checking fluid level - it looks like a brass plug at the top of the reservoir, but I can't tell if there is any fluid - it looks almost empty with the flipper up, and the top still up.

If it's so critical, I'm surprised there are no instructions in the manual on how to check it. It would seem the reservoir would fill up/drain down depending on top position.

Any answers?

Ray

·
Premium Member
9,312 Posts
I just put the top down to check it - fluid level comes up a bit with the top down, but nowhere near the maximum mark.

Do I fill it to that mark? I checked my service manual. All it says is fill to minimum - at what stage does the maximum line come into play?

Rau

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will ask John today when I pick my truck up and post an answer for you all. All I know is that when I can get some, I plan on keeping a can of that stuff on hand since mine went bone dry. Checking it often will certainly be on my agenda from now on. I just want to know where the heck it all went to! Seems weird that it would just disappear. There is no evidence of any kind of leak either....more later...Ed

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,595 Posts
Low from the start?

cruzned said:
Seems weird that it would just disappear. There is no evidence of any kind of leak either....more later...Ed
Hey Ed,

It is possible that it may have been installed at the assembly plant already low in fluid.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I stand corrected on the info. from Freezer. He gave me that information in a PM as to one of the possible probs. with roof cycle time outs. He stated that something in the box obstructing the roof or low hydraulic fluid can cause time outs. Was that correct Frezzer? I don't want to misquote you. YOU have been so helpful to us all man! :thumbs

·
Registered
76 Posts
Fluid level in hydraulic systems typically will rise with temperature. Repeated cycles generate heat fluid expands. Don’t over fill the low mark unless you want a messy over flow in hot weather after cycling the top.

thatrhinoguy

·
Registered
76 Posts
Also it may take several cycles to purge air from the system. Don’t know if the factory takes the time to do a complete job, hence the need to add fluid after top cycles several times.

thatrhinoguy

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
The hydraulics should be one of the items without issues. All the hydraulics come to the Craft Centre filled and tested. The Craft Centre does not make any hydraulic connections or add any fluid. Power Packer in Wisconsin makes this unit. The Craft Centre just hooks up the cylinders and routes the hydraulic hoses. The fluid reservoir sits on top of the pump and should not need service. If your fluid is low you probably have a leak. Almost everything is in the open so leaks should be visible with one exception. There are cylinders inside the quarter panels to lock the tonneau. These can leak and the fluid leaks outside to the ground without being visible. There is not much total fluid in the system so you might not notice these leaks. Ed should monitor his fluid level and if it goes down, then the tonneau lock cylinders need to be checked. Probably one of the lines is not fully seated and has a leak. These lines are very tough and do not typically get holes worn in them. The pump itself and its internal check valves can go bad. Having these issues can cause roof timeout signals because the roof does not move to the correct position.
The switch on the header latch is also a prime cause of roof timeout signals.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Freezer! Once again you come to the rescue in time. I am printing this out now and will share this information with John and inquire about the leaks. :seeya

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally back in my SSR. I printed this post and gave it to John at Priority Chevrolet in Chesapeake. They said to keep an eye on the fluid level. I found the area where it is and believe me, it is very difficult to see. It is on the bottom left side of that black box where the top is stored when down or when the tonneau is raised. It is pretty hard to see, let alone access. There is a small brass fitting on top that you can loosen and fill the container with fluid when needed. You definately need a portable light to see it. I am now praying that the fluid level stays ok and I don't have to access the quarter panels later to fix a leak in one of the lines. :skep

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
New Top Problem

freezer said:
The hydraulics should be one of the items without issues. All the hydraulics come to the Craft Centre filled and tested. The Craft Centre does not make any hydraulic connections or add any fluid. Power Packer in Wisconsin makes this unit. The Craft Centre just hooks up the cylinders and routes the hydraulic hoses. The fluid reservoir sits on top of the pump and should not need service. If your fluid is low you probably have a leak. Almost everything is in the open so leaks should be visible with one exception. There are cylinders inside the quarter panels to lock the tonneau. These can leak and the fluid leaks outside to the ground without being visible. There is not much total fluid in the system so you might not notice these leaks. Ed should monitor his fluid level and if it goes down, then the tonneau lock cylinders need to be checked. Probably one of the lines is not fully seated and has a leak. These lines are very tough and do not typically get holes worn in them. The pump itself and its internal check valves can go bad. Having these issues can cause roof timeout signals because the roof does not move to the correct position.
The switch on the header latch is also a prime cause of roof timeout signals.
I noticed a new sound last week as my top was raising and lowering, just a diffferent pitch halfway through the cycle. Today, the top won't go down or up , as I had it partailly open, I looked in the roof storage box and found a nice little puddle of hydraulic fluid. Anyone else had a leak ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts