Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not even tried lowering my top yet. (new England weather you know) but I have oil absorbent mats that I can lay down. Is it feasible to even find empty floor space to lay them down and is it necessary?

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,669 Posts
I have not even tried lowering my top yet. (new England weather you know) but I have oil absorbent mats that I can lay down. Is it feasible to even find empty floor space to lay them down and is it necessary?
NOT! How do you know you have a roof leak??

Oil will normally stay in roof compartment.

Don't try roof until July 4th, FIRST day of summer in New England.

Dicktator

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
Oh for crying out loud, it's gets above 40 degrees F long before July, and that's warm enough to put the top down for around town. Don't be such a wuss. :bwekk:

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,398 Posts
Oh for crying out loud, it's gets above 40 degrees F long before July, and that's warm enough to put the top down for around town. Don't be such a wuss. :bwekk:
I agree, that is why there is a heater and windows. Same is true when it gets hot - windows and A/C. However, if you do have leaking cylinders the cold weather should be a good time to get them fixed so you have a working top for the summer.

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
On the 2004 model I looked over in Ft Myers it had a roof lift cylinder leaking on the drivers side. The hydraulic fluid from that leak went thru a weep hole. Had fluid on the garage floor which is what indicated the leaking cylinder.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
If a Roof Storage Cover "Latch/Unlatch" hydraulic cylinder leaks the fluid will wind up on the floor.

The other 6 hydraulic cylinders will leak into the storage compartment.

Usually the first cylinders that leak are the large cylinders the raise & lower the roof.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Dictator's comment in jest does cause me to ask as serious question it brings to mind. I doubt there is any difinitive evidence either way but just wondering what fanatics think............. My greatest concern in owning a SSR is those roof cylinders, so have read most of what is posted regarding members problems with them. I am wondering if weather extremes effect the longevity of them. In summer the top compartment obviously gets way over 100 degrees if your vehicle happens to be sitting out in the sun. In winter the temp. in the compartment can be below zero. For example here the temp. here is to be 6 degrees tonight and wind chill at -20. My truck is inside an unheated shop but some in Mo. are sitting outside I would bet. I am wondering if these extremes effect the life of the cylinders. I have tractors that are used in the cold and heat all year long and the hydraulics are not effected on them that I can tell. What is your opinion?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts