Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a mechanic to repair my 2004 Retractable top. Got two Lift cylinders leaking. Dealership wants 7000 to repair. Anyone in North Carolina that can repair.

·
Premium Member
6,473 Posts
Need a mechanic to repair my 2004 Retractable top. Got two Lift cylinders leaking. Dealership wants 7000 to repair. Anyone in North Carolina that can repair.
Was that cost for all new parts. If so how can they give you estimate on parts that are not available. See your new member. Welcome to the forum from middle Tn.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,633 Posts
1Bgreenfield, There are a lot of post about them if you use the search. also instructions in the "How to Library" someone will probably post links to info. Also--Welcome from Forney Texas!!! You will discover that you have found the BEST FORUM ever!---Consider going to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" something, it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

Nick & Kathy

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Look into the “How to” library here for some information. Rebuilders are available for the cylinders at $150 each X 8 which is recommended.

OLDxR

·
Daily Driver
8,958 Posts
I suspect the $7000 quote was to scare you away or settle for a low trade in value. :(

Do some reading, find some members close who can help, and you can probably get away for $1500. $1000 to rebuild the 8 cylinders and $500 for food & beer. :lol

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,569 Posts
I suspect the $7000 quote was to scare you away or settle for a low trade in value. :(

Do some reading, find some members close who can help, and you can probably get away for $1500. $1000 to rebuild the 8 cylinders and $500 for food & beer. :lol

Here is the link
to the DIY power Points from Dicktator. You will find a lot of very good information here so maybe you should bookmark the link since it is not easy to find in the FORUM listings.

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,018 Posts
$7000 to repair the 2 cylinders (or is that for all 8?) Either way that is outright THEFT! Get a local Fanatic to assist you in removing the cylinders and send them to Top Hydraulics in Oregon. Top Hydraulics will send you a full replacement set, when you trade-in your leaking set, for $1000.

Link to Top Hydraulics SSR page

Or, you can send the leaking cylinders to Cabriolet Hydraulics in Florida for a quick-turnaround repair of your set.

Link to Cabriolet Hydraulics in Florida

I am experienced in removing/replacing these cylinders having done about 8 sets for other SSR Fanatics in the past 2 years. I am willing to help in any way possible at no charge.

Cheers, Carl

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Carlbush....is it necessary to beat down the metal under the roof lift cylinders?
Have a Fanatic friend that's done several top cylinder changes and says he does not dimple the metal.
So apparently it's not absolutely necessary.
:ssr
Brian

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Top hydraulics video does not show dimpling the metal but I’ll admit it is easier to dimple it somewhat.

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,018 Posts
Carlbush....is it necessary to beat down the metal under the roof lift cylinders?
Short answer ... in my experience, YES.

I was taught by Dicktator to dimple the metal inboard of the lower retaining rod for each of the main lift cylinders. I have tried to remove the lower pin without dimpling the metal and, unless some SSR floorboards are shaped differently, have NOT been able to remove them without dimpling the floor. While assisting a Fanatic with his floor, I had him work one side of the removal while I did the other; he tried removing the pin without dimpling the floor quite enough and ended up damaging the plastic pin sleeve in the bottom of the actuator while twisting the actuator trying to get it past the pin. I have yet to even chip the paint on the floor while dimpling it. I do have to cut away and remove about 1 square inch of foam that is inboard of the cylinders and lays exactly where the dimpling is required. I use a long (36") metal rod with the end rounded off by a grinder. When I remove the clips that retain the lower pin, I slide the pin inboard as far as possible and note exactly where it binds on the floor. That is where I place the rounded end of the rod and whack it with a 3-pound maul a couple few times. Then slide the pin a bit more, mark the location, move the rod, and take a few more hits with the maul. Once the pin fully clears the actuator pin sleeve I'm done.

Cheers, Carl

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,018 Posts
Top hydraulics video does not show dimpling the metal but I’ll admit it is easier to dimple it somewhat.
Hate to disagree, but I just watched the Top Hydraulics video and they DO show dimpling the metal. They also state that the actuator can be removed by twisting it off the lower pin, but I have witnessed the lower pin sleeve get damaged by twisting it off the pin (the pin binds against and tears the plastic sleeve as the actuator is twisted).

video link below - start at 5 minute mark:

Top Hydraulics video - Ch-5 - Main Lift Cylinder Removal

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Hate to disagree, but I just watched the Top Hydraulics video and they DO show dimpling the metal. They also state that the actuator can be removed by twisting it off the lower pin, but I have witnessed the lower pin sleeve get damaged by twisting it off the pin (the pin binds against and tears the plastic sleeve as the actuator is twisted).

video link below - start at 5 minute mark:

Top Hydraulics video - Ch-5 - Main Lift Cylinder Removal
Every installation is unique due to the variability in body fit and placement in our trucks.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
If you can make it to Warner Robbins, Georgia for the rally next week, there will be a number of us that have done the swap out and willing to help. I'll bring the limited number of tools required and the steel rod to dimple the metal. It would be a great way to meet a lot of other SSR owners.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes the Dealership said that chevy did not make the individual parts. Had to purchase the complete system at 7000.00.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,014 Posts
Most dealers do not have any techs anymore that were trained on the operation and repair of the top system. They may do more damage than good.
You are much better waiting to get the help of a local Fanatic that has done this or travel to an upcoming tech day. If two cylinders are leaking then the others will be right behind them so you need to have all 8 removed and sent to one of the two companies that rebuild them. They rebuild them with better seals than OEM so it will be an upgrade. Its about $1200 to get all rebuilt/shipped. If you only do the two leaking then you will be doing this all over again when the others start to leak, life expectancy was 10 years and we are way past that.
You also need to suck out all the old hydraulic fluid and add fresh CFH 11S because the old fluid is 14 years old and contaminated. OReillys usually has it on the shelf or can have it in a few days.
Take up Carlbush on his offer or there may be someone close to NC that can help.
Greg

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
You also need to suck out all the old hydraulic fluid and add fresh CFH 11S because the old fluid is 14 years old and contaminated. OReillys usually has it on the shelf or can have it in a few days.

Greg

Are most folks replacing the CFH11S fluid as a preventative mesure, or only following failure of seals when the fluid is most likely to be contaminated ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts