Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the GM site:

Hydroforming reduces the stress and stretching of the steel during manufacturing so the frame retains more of its strength. Eight cross members, rather than the traditional four or six, are built into the frame, boosting the structural strength to deliver a better ride quality, handling control, and reduce noise and vibration. GM pioneered automotive hydroforming on the Chevrolet Corvette and used this process for the first time for a truck frame on the Silverado, Tahoe and Suburban. The Chevy TrailBlazer marked the first time hydroforming has been used for the entire length of a truck frame's side rails.

L

·
0 Posts
gonnagetanssr said:
Can someone explain hydroforming to me?
No. :confused

It sounds cool but I have no idea what it is or what it means to us.

B

·
0 Posts
Hydroforming is the process of using extremely high pressure liquid to form metal into the desired shape. In the case of the Corvette and SSR frame rails, this allows a complex shape to be created using a single, continuous piece of steel which is stronger and lighter than the traditional method of welding multiple segments together. Stronger and lighter are always welcome in my book :cheers

B

·
0 Posts
Check this out
It's a simple little animation but it gives you an idea of how hydroforming works. The frame rails start out as a big 14' long steel tube. They pressurize them with water, then form them into the desired shape using mechanical force.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts