Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered before but bring me up to date. Members that have used the Hypertech for the 04 what pro's and con's have you had? Does the speedo remain ok or other trouble spots. Hypertech's chart give all the performance gains etc which is 11HP with 87 gas. I would think 11HP might be had to tell? Is it worth the money, would you do it again? :yesnod

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
NN9S: The increased power claims from the various microtuner companies vary. I could believe 11 hp from a low octane tune, if the microtuner optimizes both timing and air / fuel ratio more aggressively than the factory.

Would you feel it? Possilby. It depends on how sensitive you are to vehicle feel and speed. It's not huge enough to grab your attention.

The more aggressive tune for 91 or better octane can deliver notably more, some companies claiming up to 20 or 30 hp. I think 30 would be hard to believe based on what I know about the SSR LM4 engine. I think that "30" claim might be being used as an "as much as" claim rather than one specifically accurate for the SSR, or maybe for an SSR that has already had other physical work done (e.g. exhaust) and needs the altered timing and air/fuel ratio to realize the potential gains of that physical mod. I personally believe more like maybe 15 hp, 20 tops from any pure microtuner (no other PHYSICAL mods).

The more important question is whether this is the only mod you are planning. If so, it can make sense provided that 11 hp for $350 sounds good to you. If you are planning other PHYSICAL mods, be sure to research microtuners versus tuning software using one of two approaches:

1. Use the search button on this forum and key words "microtuner" and "tuning software", or

2. Get my book "The SSR Experience" which addresses this in Chapter 17, and answers many other questions that SSR owners typically ask.

One other thing: If you modify your powertrain control module using EITHER a microtuner or tuning software:

1. Expect a discussion with your Chevy service manager if there is a warranty issue whose cause COULD be the altered programming. Most folks restore factory programming before taking the vehicle in for service

2. If the microtuner program is in place while at the delaershoip, and the dealer re-flashes the PCM because of a rotuine upgrade from Chevy, your program will be overwirtten. If that happens, the microtuner MIGHT not allow re-installation of its altered programming, because of anti-software-theft provisions built into the tuner (see my book for full explanation).

Jim G

·
Registered
192 Posts
RFI with PCM or accessories

NN9S-

Have you installed any HF or VHF gear in your SSR? If so, have you found a good spot for your antenna?

I have only found a spot for a magmount with a short dualband 2m/440 behind the rear window on top of the metal top cover.

I have yet to install the main unit inside the waterfall as my Standard C1208 has a remote speaker/mike control and Im trying to find the best path for the RG58 into the cab from the top storage area.

Have you have had any RFI probs with any accessories like the cruise control, FM radio or PCM issues if you have installed any radio gear in your SSR?

Doug
N6ODF

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Amateur Radio Gear

Hi Doug N6ODF,

No I have not installed any amateur radio gear. I do have a FT 100 with the A.T.A.S. matching screwdriver type of antenna however, and have ran that setup with other late model GM units. I see no conflict at the 100 watt level or finding a spot for the Ft 100 with the remote head. I do have the SSR factory hitch and have thought perhaps that this would make a good spot for a HF antenna.

73's NN9S Doug
:thumbs

·
Registered
46 Posts
Cable path, top storage area to dash, help needed?

NN9S-

Have you installed any HF or VHF gear in your SSR? If so, have you found a good spot for your antenna?

I have only found a spot for a magmount with a short dualband 2m/440 behind the rear window on top of the metal top cover.

I have yet to install the main unit inside the waterfall as my Standard C1208 has a remote speaker/mike control and Im trying to find the best path for the RG58 into the cab from the top storage area.

Doug
N6ODF
Hi, I hope someone can comment on the best path from the top storage area into the cab & then to the dash for coax cable ( RG 58) ? I have WaterFall & console out now. Any input please? thanks ,Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts