Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'v owned my 2004 ssr with 20000 miles on her for a couple of weeks now and I have noticed ween in a curve and some times on a straight road if you hit a bump she whats to wallow around for lake of a beater word. How can I fix this, it just doesn't feel stable. Also does any body make a small wing to attach to the open window to divert some air in to the cockpit ? When the top is down some times I would like more air on me.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,398 Posts
Hi I'v owned my 2004 ssr with 20000 miles on her for a couple of weeks now and I have noticed ween in a curve and some times on a straight road if you hit a bump she whats to wallow around for lake of a beater word. How can I fix this, it just doesn't feel stable. Also does any body make a small wing to attach to the open window to divert some air in to the cockpit ? When the top is down some times I would like more air on me.
Welcome from one of the SoCal Nuts. From your name I would guess you are not in my neighborhood but you can help us all out by going to USER CP under TOOLS and then updating Your Profile in the left hand column of the page you end up on.

Sounds like you have some issues that could use some work. The wing you ask about does not exist to my knowledge. There are a number of items which can correct your stability but first you need to find the problem so you pick the correct items. Some of you neighboring Fanatics will be happy to help you figure that out as soon as they know where you are located. Generalities are good.

Reactions: JimBob

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
My 04 has a similar problem and I am wondering if it might be the lower control arm where the strut mounts to the lower control arm. This is a bushing in the mount that holds the strut to the lower control arm and it is hard to see the bushing unless you have the lower strut mount removed. I am going to rebuild my 05 first and see what I find on it. My 05 does seem tighter and less shake than my 04 has. I will take pictures and report back when I get it all done.

·
Have SSR...will travel!!
1,237 Posts
Welcome from Texas. I will be useless with any help with your question!

Just want to say hi and congrats. You will enjoy your R and belonging to this family.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
"Hay" oldfarmboy, mywife is an "old farm girl from Illinois, Rochester, actually New City (a Church, 5 Houses and a 4 Way Stop) !!!

Back to the subject at hand ... can't help you out, but I certainly can :00000732: you to the SSRfanatic Nation and Family. Let me assure you HELP is on the way in the form of written information on your initial post.

"Hay" since you're just up the road, let me invite you to our SSR HeartBeat of Tennessee Meet & Greet September 14, 15 & 16 here in Murfreesboro, Tennessee at the Holiday Inn Express (615 849 9000) ... that is if you're not "cuttin' Beans or "pickin" Corn (Google Tennessee State Rally for more info). If you can't come on Friday get up early and come on down Saturday morning. We're leavin' for Lynchburg around 9 am. If you need to call me, my cell is 615 605 4763.

Again :00000732: aboard ... keep the faith we'll get that "little red truck" smoothed out, so expect some great advice soon !!! Bob Alexander - tennesseecozydog :ssr 80,000 miles !!! :00000732: :00000732: :00000732:

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt #11150
44,562 Posts
Welcome From Western Pa !!!!!!! :00000732:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
THAT is why the SSr has the little buttons to turn the AC ON. Try it, you will like it.

bird

·
Premium Member
19,727 Posts
The bouncy feeling on the road is what some here call cowl shake it does improve with addition of a second bar under truck that goes from one side of frame to another . The threads are there to install it . Or you can get the beefier set up from simple engineering. Another item that helps would be the steel radiator support in the front of vehicle . The factory one is plastic . Does nothing but support radiator while the item from simple engineering stiffens front of frame and supports radiator. There is also a plate that you could install under engine. It replaces the x brace under engine , also from simple engineering. Hope that helps . You might also think about cooling fan replacement factory one is marginal at best . It’s going to break down I guarantee it .there are some more modifications that should be done if they weren’t done by first owner to make your driving more fun. All these I suggested can be done in your garage with hand tools , floor jack and jack stands by almost anyone.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
H When the top is down some times I would like more air on me.
Easy fix farmboy sit on a thick cushion or find an old phone book that should put your head over the windshield:grin2:
Just bustin your chops welcome to the Forum you will find a lot on information and help here try and make a rally or two and really enjoy your new ride.

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,013 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas.

IMO, after my experience with doing all of these, do them in the following order:
A) S/E Stiffening plate
A’) LeftCoast32 crossmember with stiffening plate, if budget allows... but don’t do this and forget B
B) Shocks
C) Swaybars
D) bushings to urethane (unless they are visibly shot, then do earlier)
E) Radiator support

Others will have other opinions, and will cite different priorities, which is totally fine. I’ve also done rear control arms and have the front bushings to do, I have no more ‘waller’ in turns or in bumps. Shocks were a total surprise for me, hence I move them up in the order from order I did them.

- Robert
:silver:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts