Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at trading my full size for an SSR. Unfortunatly I am having a hard time finding a deal.

But I have just a couple questions.

What is the [main] difference between the model '03 '04 and '05

Obviously to me, it looks as if only minor changes between the years. And common sense would tell you that the older the truck, the less it will cost, right? Well thats what I am looking at. Im wanting an 04 because I cant afford and 05 and there are slim chances of finding an 03.

And I know this is a fanatic forum, so it will be hard to find bad things, but what are some good and bad things I should know about the SSR before I condider?

Thanks

C

·
0 Posts
Differences

jasontq said:
I am looking at trading my full size for an SSR. Unfortunatly I am having a hard time finding a deal.

Obviously to me, it looks as if only minor changes between the years. And common sense would tell you that the older the truck, the less it will cost, right? Well thats what I am looking at. Im wanting an 04 because I cant afford and 05 and there are slim chances of finding an 03.

And I know this is a fanatic forum, so it will be hard to find bad things, but what are some good and bad things I should know about the SSR before I condider?

Thanks
First of all, you will join excellent company once you own an SSR :ssr

The big difference in the MYs is the 05 has the LS2 motor (390 hp) vs 03/04 the Vortec 5.3L (300 hp) and the option for stick vs automatic.

The best advice I could offer is for you to do a search on this site for topics your interested in. When I bought mine, I came to this site and found out everything I wanted to know and more! We are an honest bunch and you'll find our trials and tribulations as well as kool and interesting information. Then test drive it.

If you do your homework, you'll find a deal you're happy with and ultimately that's what counts.

I hope you find a great one and keep us updated!!!!

:angel

·
Registered
277 Posts
jasontq said:

Thanks
Your question is loaded with want to know questions and I doubt I'll answer them all, but I know others will fill in the gaps. First, I don't know what area you are in? I know a dealer that has an 03 with 3000 miles. As for the 03 and 04, think I'm safe to say they are the same. As for 03 and 04 models, there are the 1SA and 1SB. The 1SB is the deluxe, all the bells and wistles, about six to eight thousand dollar differences. The 05 has a few big changes and some suttle changes. The 05 has a 390 HP engine as compared to the 03 and 04 300 HP, 6.0 liter in 05 and 5.3 liter in 03 and 04. Also 05 has optional automatic or 6 spd manual, no engine option. Some suttle side panel changes on the doors in 05 for easy access to the seat controls. The floor gages are differnent and that's about it, other than one color change. Price wise we see some really low prices, but I'm only noting suttle changes at my dealer. A new 05 is selling for $44,000, but since I'm not in the market I really didn't look at the options, but it was an 05. My friend at the customer counter told me a friend bought an 05 for $36,000, but I really question that, but some have posted on this site deals for as low as $39,000. As for quality and problems, you can search the posts. The only major problem I have read is the 05 stick has clutch issues, but GM says they have solved it. Other than that, it's a chevy and all vehicles have problems. I've met many SSR owners and not one was sorry they bought the SSR.

·
TROUBLE MAKER
568 Posts
Your Best Advice .....

Is to buy it you will love it !!! I have owned many of vehicles in my time, and this is the only one that I would not trade for any thing else!!!!
And if you want a chick magnet, this is it!!!! Believe me I am a chick !!!!!
And of course you will make lots of new friends on this site...
Once you have the pleasure of owning an SSR, you won't want to own anything else !!!! :) :) :) :) :)

R

·
0 Posts
Buy what you can afford and enjoy!

I can honestly sat that the most enjoyable vehicle I have ever had....68 to date...is my '04 SSR.

Now that being said....yes, the '05 is faster than the '04, BUT , try as we may, the SSR is not a hot rod. There are those that will argue but the fact is a 4700 lb vehicle is not a street racer. The 6 liter motor in the C6 Vette puts out 400 hp. In the SSR, 390. Now the Vette weighs in at about 3200 lbs. That is 8 lbs per hp and translates to 0-60 in the low 4 sec range. The 4700 lb SSR with 390 hp is 12.05 lbs per hp and that translates to the mid - high 5 sec range. The 300 hp 5.3 liter is about 15.6 and runs in the 7's. Sure they can be hopped up with gears, turbos, super chargers, exhausts, etc.....BUT...to get into the Vette performance range yo have to be putting out around in the area of 588 hp at the crank to get C6 performance.....that my friend, translates into a BUNCH of bucks for either the 5.3 or 6 liter.

Now a lot of us, me included, are never satisfied with the status quo.......we add mods for personalization, performance. and mileage. That is part of being a "gear head". Just don't expect rocket ship performance. BUT RATHER....enjoy having one of the most unique vehicles every produced. They never fail to turn heads, stimulate questions, and put a smile on the owners face. Sure, they have a few problems and most of them can be found on this site. None are intolerable and most can be dealt with without too much trouble.

As the past owner of a C5 Vette I can say that this vehicle is more unique, enjoyable, and functional. In my case, in my business (a SEARS Dealer Store) I periododically deliver garden tractors on a 6 X 12 trailer with it...now that gets attention!

Didn't mean to drone but....get the one you can afford and enjoy it. They are a trip.

Rickoshea
'04 # 12009

·
TROUBLE MAKER
568 Posts
When it Comes down To It....

It's really what the women think, and being one, I can tell you that I would look at the guy in the SSR before looking at the guy in anything else !!!!
No matter what it was !!!!!!

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,146 Posts
An SSR's Wife said:
It's really what the women think, and being one, I can tell you that I would look at the guy in the SSR before looking at the guy in anything else !!!!
No matter what it was !!!!!!

Even just a speedo?????

·
Registered
66 Posts
Opinion of '05

I own an '05 stick shift (6 speed) and haven't had any problems at all - I also only have 3300 miles on it so far. My day will come I'm sure but I love the truck and wouldn't trade it for anything. If you want an '05 you can always consider a lease. It's cheaper but you have to live by their rules and you don't own it. You can only put so many miles etc. but it can put you in the car and when the lease is up you can choose to buy it. If you can't live with a milage limitation and will do lots of modification don't lease. It's a big decision but I'm sure you will enjoy the SSR no matter what YM you get. I owned a vette at one time but the SSR is no comparison. I enjoy the SSR much more.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just do it....

but forget the speedo! (Urk, it IS too early in the morning for that visual...) There are several dealerships around here (upper left hand corner of the US) that have 03's still on their lots-they can't sell them because the prices are the same as the '04-05's (comparable) and if conventional wisdom holds true, why would you buy a MY (model year) that will soon be three years out with the resultant depreciation? Doesn't make any sense.
Pick your color, bring it home, spend hours looking at it, do some aftermarket fun stuff to make it yours and have fun! What else is there in life anyway? :cool

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
New Owners Opinion

:ssr
I am a new owner of an SSR. This is a fun to drive; easy to enter and leave vehicle. You can find good values by looking. I bought a fully loaded 2004 Ultra Violet with less than 3000 miles on it for $31,500 on EBay. The MSRP was over $46,000 new. The key is to be open minded and look at both traditional and non traditional sources.

Bill Ligon
2004 SSR
2002 Miata
1997 Dakota

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yaller Dog

jasontq said:

Thanks
I bought a 2005 automatic back in March of this year. A comment below says it is not a street rod....all I can say is it is hot enough to show more than a few Mustangs my tailgate. I'll admit that none appeared to be 2005's, but still blew their doors off. Only mod so far is a set of Dynatech SuperMaxx headers, but I'm getting there. Buy one and enjoy it!!!

·
West Coast Pit Crew
10,185 Posts
Jasontq

jasontq said:

Thanks
The main difference between the 03,04,and 05 is three years :glol :glol :glol
Sorry could'nt resist!
But with GM's new pricing as of June 1st if you can swing it the 05 is a better deal.
With the upgrades on the 05's and employee discount pricing what you will save on a 03 or 04 won't be that much more on payments. I would go for the 05 if you can :thumbs

1 - 14 of 14 Posts