Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not thinking about it, doing it!!! TODAY!

Once again I am thinking about replacing the radio with aftermarket. I want backup camera input, GPS, wheel switches to work, and GM-Sirus remote plug in. Plug and play.
Thank you for any input suggestions for mfg/model. Picture of installed would be great.

Jack

·
Registered
445 Posts
I had Kenwood DNS893S installed with a Taddy Brothers Backup Camera.
Great!
I have an extra Radio Wiring Harness with Bose for sale also.
Bought two because I forgot that I had one.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank yo

Thank you for your input.

Jack

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just pulled the trigger.

I ordered the Kenwood DNX893s with the steering wheel switch interface, install kit, sirus 300v1 receiver, premade install harness, and a Boyo backup camera with the lines that curve as you turn backing(It has a gyro inside that detects turning, WOW! My SRX has this feature and I really like it.). I wanted the Kenwood because of the Garmin NAV. With shipping, $1030.
There is a $70 rebate on the sirus receiver which makes it free.
I ordered from Crutchfield for their expertise and available tech support 7 days a week.

·
Slingshot Rules!
71,250 Posts
Big Ole Bummer, Jack . . .

Does that mean you're not coming out here to have Dave do the installation?

I was even gonna buy lunch.

! :surprise: ! :cry ! :surprise: ! :cry ! :surprise: !

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
I must be too particular about my radio :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:. 9 years ago when we bought the SSR, the first Saturday we had it, I went down to a Radio Shop and told the Salesperson I want a Sirius/XM radio put in that Red truck out there. He pointed to 4 or 5 and said which one. I told him I only care about Channel 5 (50's), 19 (Elvis), 59 (Willie's Roadhouse), 62 (Bluegrass), 70 (Love)(was Channel 17 then), and 90 (NASCAR Talk). He pointed to one and said that one will do the job. "Git er done then" I'll be back at 5 o'clock to pick her up !!! He said "I'm on it like Bluebonnet" "10 Four Commodore see ya' at 5" an that "el cheapo"is still doin' the job !!! Jan likes the NASCAR talk, I prefer (when I'm driving alone) the 50's on 5 or vintage country on Willie's Roadhouse as Moe Bandy sings "I've done Everything Hank Williams Did But Die" and Bill Anderson's "Walk out Backward's so I'll Think You're Walkin' In" (Jan say's you can can drunk listening to that beer drinkin' "stuff" on Willies Roadhouse) tennesseecozydog :smile2: :smile2: :smile2:

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
I ordered the Kenwood DNX893s with the steering wheel switch interface, install kit, sirus 300v1 receiver, premade install harness, and a Boyo backup camera with the lines that curve as you turn backing(It has a gyro inside that detects turning, WOW! My SRX has this feature and I really like it.). I wanted the Kenwood because of the Garmin NAV. With shipping, $1030.
There is a $70 rebate on the sirus receiver which makes it free.
I ordered from Crutchfield for their expertise and available tech support 7 days a week.

Can you post what camera you went with? link?
Thanks
Looking at kenwood DNX994s

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
If you have the option of a front camera input, you might install one while doing the upgrade. When I did my upgrade the front camera & apple play were available. Get all the bells you can get.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Radio

Here is the link to the radio.crutchfield.com. . It has a lot of stuff on it that I will never use. I have no desire to hook up my phone to play music, etc or look at pictures or video from my phone, Pandora Hojo or whatever. All I will really ever use is the xm/sirus, the NAV and the back up camera. But it is nice if I every want it it's there.
Yes the unit has front and rear camera ports. So I am going to move my present Camera to the front.
I presently have my BU camera and a camera aimed at the rt rear wheel (curb camera). The monitor is in the ashtray. I will add another camera aimed at the front wheel.When I lower the ashtray the system comes on and now I will be able to toggle to front or rear wheel. With all those outlets I think I will explore and see it there is unit the will broadcast to my hearing aids like the one for the tv. I keep hearing people saying they are plugged in and/or hooked up, so I guess the would qualify me. How about that 81 and going modern.

Jonnyques I ordered the Boyo VTL17ltj $59. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_707VT17LTJ/Boyo-VTL17LTJ.html

Jack

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Jack

I just replaced mine a couple of months ago and put the JVC KW-V830BT in and love it so far. I really like the apple car play functionality because I use the navigation on my phone now.

Rope
Steering wheel controls work? What else did you use for the install? Hard wire on the Apple Play?

Larry

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
991 Posts
Steering wheel controls work? What else did you use for the install?

Larry
Interesting... two stereo threads going at once...

Copied from my post on the other thread...

FWIW...
I installed my Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX
and used:
Metra Axxess ASWC1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface
and
Axxess GMOS04 Class II OnStar® Interface for Amplified Systems

It looks like there are newer single unit setups, but this worked for me.

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Steering wheel controls work? What else did you use for the install? Hard wire on the Apple Play?

Larry
Larry

Yes, steering wheel controls work. I would need to get with the shop that did the installation to find out everything he used which I would be glad to if you would like me to. As far as the Apple Car Play there’s a usb outlet in the center console that I just plug the phone into then all the control is done on the deck. The great part is you never have to worry about updating the navigation maps because the phone is alway updated and I always have my music also.

Rope

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Thanks Rope for the info. Think I have it figured out.

Crux interface, trim kit and antenna adapter.

Was looking for a nice replacement unit without navigation and cameras.

I have Apple Play on my new truck and I really like it. I would rather use it than the navigation on the truck.

How's that C/10 coming along?

Larry

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good news and bad news.

Good news, my new Kenwood order came in last night.

Bad news, the Boyo backup camera will only work on an SUV or something with the tag high enough for the camera to be mounted at a 30-40 deg. angle.

Good news, Crutchfield took it back and paid the shipping.

Good news, Crutchfield told me that the radio had been reduced $100 and the Sirius XM had been reduced $25 and are issuing refund back to my credit card.

Good news, their tech support guy explained where to find the connection to hook the parking brake green wire to the blue at the 2 pin switch above the parking brake.

Good news, I ordered a Rydeen CM-APL back up camera with the active lines that should work for $63.34 instead of $112 list.

Good news, took a day of rest after working on a friend's Corvette all week.

Good news, tomorrow I start on the truck installation.

Good news, I ordered the 2 extra cameras , one for front forward facing and one for the right front wheel when parking.

Jack

1 - 16 of 16 Posts