Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the SSR out, everything was fine. Pulled it back into the driveway and parked it. No problem. Went out to move it later and discovered it wouldn't. Started fine but when I went to shift, it felt like nothing was attached to the shifter. First problem I've had. I suspect it's the little linkage lever but I'm into anyone else's thoughts.
Thanks
fltsfshr

·
Registered
2004 UV
1,390 Posts
That's where I would start looking its either the one underneath the truck or the one under the cover under the shifter itself. Your number 3 the past week that have had this problem. Again anyone out there who hasn't replaced the connection with the bolt from Mike or Dicktator DO IT NOW why sit on the side of the road stuck and paying for a tow for a $15 part.
One more thing your mileage doesn't matter its the heat from the catalytic converters that makes the plastic grommet brittle and break.

·
Premium Member
7,893 Posts
That's where I would start looking its either the one underneath the truck or the one under the cover under the shifter itself. Your number 3 the past week that have had this problem. Again anyone out there who hasn't replaced the connection with the bolt from Mike or Dicktator DO IT NOW why sit on the side of the road stuck and paying for a tow for a $15 part.
One more thing your mileage doesn't matter its the heat from the catalytic converters that makes the plastic grommet brittle and break.
That makes 3 in the last week. JUST DO IT.
Had the SSR out, everything was fine. Pulled it back into the driveway and parked it. No problem. Went out to move it later and discovered it wouldn't. Started fine but when I went to shift, it felt like nothing was attached to the shifter. First problem I've had. I suspect it's the little linkage lever but I'm into anyone else's thoughts.
Thanks
fltsfshr
if you need to move it use zip ties for a temporary fix and order the metal bushing from Dictator or Simple Engineering.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
5,477 Posts
We tell y'all and we tell y'all-------BUT do y'all listen?!?!? Nooooooo, just let it go in one ear and out the other. :p:cool: Just yanken your chain. OH, don't tell anybody that I havn't changed my either of the Ignition switches but the'er in the bed bagso_O:confused:---with a spare shifter kit if we run across someone in need.

Nick

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's cool. I've broke lots of cars and fixed them. Been kind of waiting for something on this one. It's happily parked and I have other stuff to drive. When we were racing we figured if it didn't break we weren't driving it hard enough. I'm just glad didn't happen out on the road.

·
Daily Driver
9,255 Posts
I'm just glad didn't happen out on the road.
That's the thing, it usually does. Then it costs time and money to get it moved unless you're one of those skinny people who can get under it to make an emergency repair. So why go through that crap when you can do it at your leisure?

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally around to my SSR. Discovered that the shifter link had already been replaced by the previous owner, Car shifts but doesn't engage. The shift light on the dash doesn't change. Where I should I look next?

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 Silver SSR with Strips. Owned 16yrs. Start 9K, now 159K miles
13,703 Posts
Lower shift cable and UPPER shift cable. On my SSR How to Library: New folder - OneDrive (live.com)

I came out of Post Office, Shift lever moved fine but did not change gears. I knew a had a Lower shift cable kit!
Pulled shift cover off, UPPER shift cable had crumbled, cheap thing only 15yrs old!.

I used plyers to move transmission into gear and drove home. Went to O'Riley's and bought, yes, in stock shift cable grommet for upper shift cable.

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,235 Posts
Lower shift cable and UPPER shift cable. On my SSR How to Library: New folder - OneDrive (live.com)

I came out of Post Office, Shift lever moved fine but did not change gears. I knew a had a Lower shift cable kit!
Pulled shift cover off, UPPER shift cable had crumbled, cheap thing only 15yrs old!.

I used plyers to move transmission into gear and drove home. Went to O'Riley's and bought, yes, in stock shift cable grommet for upper shift cable.

Dicktator
Had the same thing happen to me in the driveway a while back, right after taking this picture.
Wheel Tire Car Cloud Land vehicle

Like you, I knew it wasn’t the lower bushing as I had already replaced it. I popped the shifter surround up, confirmed the issue and thought, well that was convenient my tools and the spare bushing are 15ft away. I now carry a spare in my emergency kit.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's the culprit. The upper trans cable bushing. Cheap Cheap Cheep.
For want of a nail the shoe was lost; for want of a shoe the horse was lost; and for want of a horse the man was lost.
Food Ingredient Plant Recipe Staple food

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I always ask why. Was it heat? Age? Material? So I did some research on thermal conductivity. Probably need help in interpretation but it appears that steel conducts heat transfer more than plastic. So did the addition of metal against metal on the lower arm contribute to the upper bushing failure? Wish I knew the type of plastic GM used. When I replace the upper bushing I'm going to leave a thermometer probe in there. We'll see what temps it hits over an hour drive.

Thermooxidative degradation

Thermooxidative is a combination of the words “thermal” and “oxidation”

Thermal refers to heat or temperature. Thermal energy is produced by heating up molecules and atoms until they move fast enough to collide into each other.

Oxidation is the loss of electrons. In terms of oxygen transfer, oxidation may be defined as the chemical process in which a substance gains oxygen or loses electrons and hydrogen.

The majority of polymers are susceptible to thermooxidation aging in the open environment and it’s considered the most serious mechanism to degrade plastics that has not been engineered to intentionally degrade. The influence of thermooxidative degradation on polymers is depending on their chemical structure.

Materials Thermal Properties Database
Search:

Material
Thermal Conductivity
(W/m*K)
Thermal Diffusivity
(mm2/s)
Specific Heat Capacity
(J/kg*K)
Thermal Effusivity
(Ws0.5/(m2K))
Material Density
(kg/m3)
Material
Thermal Conductivity
(W/m*K)
Thermal Diffusivity
(mm2/s)
Specific Heat Capacity
(J/kg*K)
Thermal Effusivity
(Ws0.5/(m2K))
Material Density
(kg/m3)
steel stainless 44622.9286.5646089557600
steel stainless cf (cast)16.1084.1450279177750
steel alloy 8620 (cast)46.02412.8460128787830
steel alloy and mild (4130 4340)41.8410.8502127607750

Search:

Material
Thermal Conductivity
(W/m*K)
Thermal Diffusivity
(mm2/s)
Specific Heat Capacity
(J/kg*K)
Thermal Effusivity
(Ws0.5/(m2K))
Material Density
(kg/m3)
Material
Thermal Conductivity
(W/m*K)
Thermal Diffusivity
(mm2/s)
Specific Heat Capacity
(J/kg*K)
Thermal Effusivity
(Ws0.5/(m2K))
Material Density
(kg/m3)
lithium fluoride (LiF 96) (plastic bnd)10.0422.5163263492460

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
5,075 Posts
I think it is age and the type of plastic used. It is probably considered a consumable in the big picture and not thought to be a life long part in the eyes of the engineer who designed the parts. If it lasts 10 years they are beyond the target of the project and if the shifter cable needs replaced so be it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts