Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going through old photos and stumbled on this.
It seems I always liked the Styling cues of the SSR. I owned this beauty in 1964 it was a 1952 Cadillac Flower car, powered by a 331cu in OHV V8 with 3 on the tree and had a 5.14 rear end, it weighed 5600 lbs.
I bought it from Superior transportation co. on long Island NY for the enormous sum of $75.00! Oh yes, and there were 13,000 original miles on the odometer! DAMN I wish I still had it now. I named it "The Barbarian" and it was class champion in N/S at the local 1/8 mile track.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,744 Posts
And to think people were dying to get to cruise with that ride before you had it. Sorry couldn't pass that one up :)

·
MY05SSR
2005 Aqua Blur, 6 speed
684 Posts
I had a 62 Cadillac hearst, with casket back in 1972 and I thought it was sharp and a beast but yours is by far the best. (sorry no pictures! I was young and stupid and never kept my toys long, get tired of it. Trade or sell to get something else).
It does have same body style. I like it

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt
49,438 Posts
That is really cool would still be a head turner, I like it !!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: poppa

·
Slingshot Rules!
77,357 Posts
Sadly, Poppa . . .

Another one of those . . . Why did I part with this one?

By the way, have you ever done a VIN Search on a site like CarFax to see if it is alive and well?

! :surprise: ! :cry ! :surprise: ! :cry ! :surprise: !

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sadly, Poppa . . .

Another one of those . . . Why did I part with this one?

By the way, have you ever done a VIN Search on a site like CarFax to see if it is alive and well?

! :surprise: ! :cry ! :surprise: ! :cry ! :surprise: !
Sadly it is not. The guy I sold it to was stealing railroad ties from a pile that they were changing out on the LIRR tracks and it was hit by a train. You have to remember I was 18 years old. We would have parties on the beach called "Hairy buffalo parties" we would bring a new garbage can to the beach and every one who came poured something into the can we would mix it up and see who could "ride the buffalo" Basically be able to walk or drive home when it was empty. I got the Idea that if I hit a telephone pole at 60 with the Barbarian it would cut it off like a karate chop. I started to believe that and realized I had to sell it as it was only a matter of time before I tried it out. Sounds stupid but it's a true story.

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
A few years ago there was a company specializing in this style Caddie. Some models listed for sale were from this vintage to maybe late 80-90’s. I believe they were located in Indiana or Ohio.

I was Indy several years ago and a funeral procession past by with two flower cars. I must say it was an impressive procession.

·
Daily Driver
8,976 Posts
I got the Idea that if I hit a telephone pole at 60 with the Barbarian it would cut it off like a karate chop. I started to believe that and realized I had to sell it as it was only a matter of time before I tried it out. Sounds stupid but it's a true story.
I know what you mean. When I was 13 I had a '48 buick I drove through the fields and woodlot roads. I figured that monster could snap off a 3 or 4 inch diameter tree like a twig. I was very wrong. :redface:

·
Daily Driver
8,976 Posts
Gosh, and only $92.500. :shades: That would kill any desire to snap poles.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,638 Posts
In the old days every person that came to a funeral brought flowers or had them delivered and the funeral homes had to carry them all out to the cemetery. They had these flower cars special built by the same coach company that built the hearse for them. The coach company would only produce a very limited number of these vehicles A friend I work with had a 1940 ford flower car which was very rare back in the 60's. They only built a handful of them. Of course he was young and stupid and sold it for about $400 which he thought was a lot of money back then. Probably sell for $150,000 now.

Reactions: poppa

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,834 Posts
Young and foolish.
I had just finished my 57 Bel-Air the way I wanted it. It was liked by all car guys in town. The son of a big restaurant owner in town offered me a deal. A even trade for his dad’s 1957 Caddy, his dad was o.k. with the deal.
A 1957 Eldorado Brougham with a stainless steel roof and fold down tray in the back seat with two stainless steel goblets. It was in beautiful condition, deep black that made the stainless pop. His dad had a small collection of 12-14 cars. He was having problems with the factory airbags on this Caddy and was going to sell it anyway.
But silly me, I was so proud of my 57 Bel-Air creation, that I had back on the road for only a month.
I turned the deal down. (put a gun to head and pull the trigger)

Video on a similar Caddy https://youtu.be/jSQEsu_cBfE

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
YOU bought the flower car & I bought the [LIMO]. A 1956 with the pull down seats & electric window between the driver & passengers. 56,000 miles for all of $475. Sold it for $75 & they drove it away. I couldn't afford insurance or tags for it back then. One story my kids believe as they rode in it.

Bird

1 - 19 of 19 Posts