Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After hours of reading and going over the library I can't find this issue. I think it started on my 2004 when I opening the passenger door and it didn't index and the same with the driver door.. I rolled the window down and up on both doors and after that they indexed fine.. A couple days later I tried to lower the top, brake depressed and it Didn't Move and flasher a HDR Latch Switch Fault.. I pushed the down switch a couple more time and nothing moved and then got a Manually Open Tonneau.. I opened and closed the Bed Cover a couple times to make sure it was closed and the top wouldn't move and the same message.. I took the transmission out of park to natural and the top went down and up no problem.. I ran the top up and down a couple times, and it worked fine.. Transmission back in park and the tonneau cover [flap] started to open and stopped and I got a Time Out.. Transmission back to natural and the top continued to open and close no problem..
My door locks are programed to lock when the transmission comes out of park, on the way home driving the R I unlocked the doors by switch and I got the bell chime and a Roof Ajar message, locking the doors the message cleared and evrything went back to normal.. Back in the garage transmission in Park the top opened and closed a couple time no problem.. I've checked for frayed wires and see none.....
Help.........

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
The windows and top could be related, but I'd start working one problem at a time.

The window indexing can be caused by the door latches not working properly. The switches in the latches corrode and can be rebuilt. @Dragon2U and @Dicktator rebuild them. Having experienced this myself, it can progress from an occasional occurrence to all the time and one can just start to have issues indexing. I've experienced both ways. Sometimes spraying in the door latch with silicone can help,

The other common suggestion will be to start making sure you've got good grounds. There is a whole document on that, ELECTRIC GROUND LOCATIONS. The first place to look is from the battery to the frame, behind the right rear wheel.

With the roof issue, I'd review the "ROOF SWITCH FAILURE SYMPTOMS" on Dicktator's OneDrive and see if it aligns with your symptoms. If I follow your description, and the document, I'd look at page 6&7.

Others will be along shortly. The common progression will be:
With the engine running, or the ignition in the run position, put your foot on the brake, hold the button down and what happens and what do you hear?

We're pulling for you. Let us know.

·
Spirited driver!
1,009 Posts
We are off to a good start here. One variable you can remove from your concern is what gear you are in. I have opened and closed the top in Park and Drive. It works regardless of gear. Just have to have the brake pressed.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EXNSSR
I checked the alignment of the top and everything slips right in to place and all the latches pull the top to tight closure . I hadn't done this before so I don't know if it makes a difference, but with the top closed and no read out , when I push the switch to close the motor will run for a second but the top doesn't move.. Also all the hinges in the tonneau cover are clear and aligned.. When I'm moving and unlock the doors and get Roof Ajar message, that's the one that's baffling.. I've been spraying the door latches with silicone as advised by Dictator.. I'll check the grounds next.......
Your right I can now as before opening and closing the top in any gear.. Right now everything seems to be working except the Roof Ajar with the doors unlocked......

·
BLU SSR
1,353 Posts
Not a guru by any stretch, but sounds like you have an intermittent connection - either poor ground or chaffed wire at the hinges that you can't see unless you open up the wires would be my first guesses. I'm curious, if you reprogram your R to NOT Lock the doors when moving, would you still get the roof ajar error?
The Holiday is probably keeping the real experts busy, hang in there, they will be along shortly.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
2 responses, where are all the great problem solvers ??
Hang in there.

I can confirm at least few of us have been very busy. I was running around with last minute Thanksgiving prep, chores and I was in the dash of my own R doing repairs, searching for parts, while trying to get to the planned task of a stereo install.

A quick search of ROOF AJAR turned up a post from ED in FL which seems to align with your situation.
https://www.ssrfanatic.com/threads/roof-ajar.63335/#post-1425889. (See the last post in this thread)
This post is also described in the ROOF AJAR document on Dicktator’s OneDrive.

It sounds like a switch might not be correctly indicating where the roof is. Speaking for myself, I could use more of description of what “normally” means in your situation in order to help much more. Without being physically there, the order of what happens, the dings, whirs and latch sounds are all valuable information.

It could be the tonneau latch sensor, which could be frayed wires near the clips on the passenger side tonneau hinge. The clips can work their way through the tape and eventually cut the wires and even the hydraulic lines. I understand you’ve checked this. That said, I’ve found where a small nick from the clip in the tape, turned out to be a chaffed and broken wire that was making occasional contact. I’ll admit I’m grasping at relevant straws.

P.S. I’d still suggest checking the grounds, even though I’m not convinced it is the issue, as it is always a good idea if it hasn’t been done.

Happy Thanksgiving

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
I too have been busy helping out for guests to arrive.
Done with last minute trip to store and then another emergency trip to store and its Halftime so now a little time to investigate

This would definitely be better with access to a Tech2 or similar to watch inputs, however as an intial check I agree with checking grounds.
A lot of your problems can be traced to G302 --
Top Storage cover, header switches, RDM, passenger door latch switches
AND more all use this same ground.

See diagram included to see how many items use this ground and how many who have issues with!
My thought check this first. Then also check G300.

Additional diagrams show the folding top and cover SENSORS do not use a direct path to ground to send RDM a signal. ALL of the microswitches do use a direct path to ground for the signal loop and they use G301 so that RDM can determine if a switch is open or closed.

Here is a link to the ONE DRIVE

Best of luck --- All I can do for now, I have to shut down computer. Guests to arrive soon so I will have Access via phone only

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

04 G301.gif
04 G300.gif
04 folding top 1.gif
04 folding top 2.gif
04 folding top 3.gif

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input..
I'll unwrap the wires by the hinges, check them out and fine grounds G300 and G301.. The main ground from the battery to frame is solid.. Driving today I hit a hard bump and got a chime and Roof Ajar message, it would clear its self untill I hit the next bump then clear again.. When I got home the Roof message had cleared and I opened and closed the top with no problem.. I took it for a drive and No chime or Roof message over some hard bumps, everything normal until I unlocked the doors when moving and got the roof message....
What is a Tech2

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
Tech 2 is the older GM scan tool.

The one drive shows a diagram AND a picture of G300. But only has a diagram of G301. It should be behind passenger side like G300 is on the drivers side.
Maybe after you find it you post a picture of G301 and @Dicktator could add it to the already extensive list and pictures of grounds on his one drive.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just went and checked grounds 300 and 301 and they're solid and the wires look like new , I was thinking to check the T latch switch tomorrow after take the tape off the wires by the hinge clips and check that.......
Also I worked the Striker Switch gently with a golf tee, the switch is free and even feels a little lose, anything there ??

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
The hard bump trip and hard bump reset feels like something is moving around. When the top goes up do you hear the latches and feel it snug the top down?

·
Spirited driver!
1,009 Posts
The more I hear, the more it sounds like the 3-position switch in the roof header on the the driver's side. I had this same issue. Mine would say roof ajar but it was actually closed. The one thing I'm puzzled about is how you unlocking the doors triggers an issue.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My roof pulls up tight and the latches both seem to be working find.. The thing that gets me is the system is working find right know, top goes up and down fine but something is causing a Roof Agar when I'm moving and unlock the doors.. I think that's were the problem is.. I just noticed my seat heater switch was on and there's no heat, is there any connection there ??

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And in the middle of all this my water pump decides to go out, sometimes you just have to get a beer sit back and laugh.....
I have taped all the wires around the clips at the hinges in the HES circuit, but I'm going to take all the tape off and inspect all the wiring there on the passenger side, I hadn't taped the drivers side, I'll check that out also.......
Thanks for all the help this is nerve racking for an old guy............

·
Daily Driver
8,834 Posts
Thanks for the input..
I'll unwrap the wires by the hinges, check them out and fine grounds G300 and G301.. The main ground from the battery to frame is solid..
Don't forget there is a ground from battery to body as well as battery to frame.

·
BlueStreak
26,934 Posts
For @Autoprof or @ED in FL is there any chance this could be the comb? Don't want to start a wild goose chase but something in my head rattled and the comb fell out so thought I should mention it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was going to open the HES wire loom engine running foot on the brakes with the truck in park when I tried to lower the top I got a Manually Open Tonneau, and the top wouldn't move.. I put the truck in neutral and the message cleared and the top went down like normal.. Two rolls of Black Tape later, I couldn't find a Kinked, frayed or broken wire on either the drivers or passenger side wire looms by the walls or hinges.. I finished my inspection put the top up got the 2 bells and everything's fine until driving along and unlocking the doors by the switch and then I get the Roof Agar message that clears it's self until I hit the next bump or until I lower and raise the top............
Please don't give up on me I love my truck

·
Spirited driver!
1,009 Posts
I don't know what unlocking the doors has to do with it but the fact that a bump can cause it seems to indicate a loose wire/ground/sensor of some sort. I was thinking the switch in the header as I know from personal experience that the bracket it sits on can bend just a bit and cause it to say roof ajar when closed. In fact, mine would only give the error message when outside temps were a little low. When it was warmer, the alignment of the sensor was close enough that it didn't cause an error. Check out the thread below for more info.
https://www.ssrfanatic.com/threads/another-roof-ajar-mystery.216041/#post-3620809

1 - 20 of 42 Posts