Chevy SSR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,523 Posts
@Foodman I have a thread showing the solution to mine but have no idea how to find it. The door locks didn't affect mine, just the "Roof Ajar" dinging when I hit bumps. @river_rat and I found it at a Tech day. A nicked harness on the floor of the roof compartment close to the "Roof lock down lever"? on the floor, close to the bottom of the hydraulic cylinder and harness clamp, on the Driver side. I think the last two pictures are after the fix, just trying to show the location better
Nick
DSC_0299.JPG DSC_0305.JPG DSC_0308.JPG

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
For @Autoprof or @ED in FL is there any chance this could be the comb? Don't want to start a wild goose chase but something in my head rattled and the comb fell out so thought I should mention it.
Good thought because it can cause weird problems. But the comb allows the computers to communicate with each other and if it were making a bad connection the RDM couldn't tell the IPC to signal a fault message on the DIC.
i believe its a bad connection somewhere, its just difficult to determine where when its intermittent. So basically without the ability to take a recording of the inputs that an enhanced scan tool could do, the steps/checks that have been suggested need to be ruled out.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I checked the floor wiring but I'll double check around the locking bars again.. I'm not familiar with the Comb, where would I find it and can it be disconnected and cleaned ??
After I got everything back in place this afternoon, I went for a 30 mile ride and everything was good no messages and the top worked fine.. Went stopped I could work the unlock, lock door switch and nothing happens, but as soon as I'm moving and the doors lock and I push the unlock door switch I get the Roof Agar message, and when I lock the doors the message goes away until I hit the first bump and then I get the Roof Agar again.. Then if I stop and run the top up and down everything clears and is fine and normal .. The system seems good until I push the unlock door switch while moving..............

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I've read everything in the library on roof problem 3 or4 time, I guess I just don't get it.. I don't know how to test the micro switches on the cylinders.. I did have my son check the codes with a OBO 2 reader and there were no old codes or new one.. This was driving with the reader plugged in and Roof Agar showing on the dash.. I don't recall anything about the Comb but I'll go over the library again and see if I can find it ..
What I've done.......
Grounds 300, 301 and the main battery cable are solid.......
Roof Ajar test are unreliable because I get a content R/A as soon as there is any movement.............
When I start the truck the and the message is normal the top will go up and down 4/5 times no problem as soon as I move and R/A message comes on and after stopping, the top will not move..........
There no frayed wires at the hinges or t the bottom of the fall.........
I'll take out the comb in the morning and clean it and the connector with contact cleaner.........
Thanks for all the input I really appreciate it..
This is so frustrating to an old guy that's just not that mechanical..

·
Tech Support/Research
1,484 Posts
I concur with others who suggest a bad or loose connection. Have you checked all of the wiring harness connectors in the roof compartment to ensure they are tight? On one SSR I diagnosed with a persistent "Roof Ajar" message it turned out to be one pin within one of the connectors that was making poor contact. That could only be found using a professional Tech 2 scanner that showed a low voltage reading on that part of the circuit. Note also that a generic OBD scanner does not reflect the types of fault codes that would indicate issues with an SSR roof.

Another possibility is the typical "frayed wire at the clips" issue that could be causing an intermittent connection. You mentioned checking wires at the hinges- not sure if you mean the same thing. Dicktator and Ed in Fl have disussed that condition and its repair extensively and inspection and repair info are on the OneDrive folder.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,494 Posts
OK..... I have a couple really simple questions......

1) Do you get the roof ajar message with the top up AND the top down? Or just one condition?
2) When you get the roof ajar message, can you lift either side of the Tonneau (roof storage compartment) cover?

I am asking because of a recent part replacement on another SSR that may be similar. I'm holding back on naming the part, because I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase.... I have to know the answers to the two questions first.

Mike

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,763 Posts
Sorry, I want to help but can't see/test for your problem.

Tech2 would be best tool, I think.

Could be Trans Control Module.

You/We have Classic Car, not made anymore, old and need care, kinda like me at 84.

I have seen, as have others, bad microswitch, broken wire, loose pin, bad ground, etc.

Dicktator

·
BLU SSR
1,401 Posts
Not trying to confuse the issue, but you have stated a couple times that the grounds are "solid" ... does that mean they can't be moved when pulling on the connection or have you taken them loose and cleaned and retightened them?? We all use different terms to describe things and I just want to make sure we understand what has been done.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Snomuncher :
I'm going to check with someone else for a GM Tech 2 Monday
Mike :
#1 I only get the Roof Agar with the roof UP only, roof Down no Roof Agar.........
#2 When I come to a complete stop, most of the time Roof Agar clears and the Tonneau comes up and everything works normal.. When I do stop with the Roof Agar message the tonneau will Not move....
SSReplay :
I didn't remove the wires, I did a continuity test from the wire to the body that showed me a solid connection....
I can say one thing for sure, replacing the water pump didn't help the roof problem...........
Thank you for all the help

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,494 Posts
Mike:
#1 I only get the Roof Agar with the roof UP only, roof Down no Roof Agar.........
#2 When I come to a complete stop, most of the time Roof Agar clears and the Tonneau comes up and everything works normal.. When I do stop with the Roof Agar message the tonneau will Not move....
OK.... Let me put this a slightly different way...... when you have the "Roof Ajar" message displayed on the dash, I need you to step out of the SSR and lift up on each side of the tonneau cover to be sure that both sides are latched. We are looking for a hydraulic ram that is not holding the latch properly..... Don't go off and assume that you need to do anything yet. We just have to be certain that this is NOT the problem. Troubleshooting the roof system can be a tedious process of elimination at times.....

Hang in there, persistence prevails.

Mike

·
Spirited driver!
1,013 Posts
when you have the "Roof Ajar" message displayed on the dash, I need you to step out of the SSR and lift up on each side of the tonneau cover to be sure that both sides are latched.
Thanks Mike. Foodman is coming over tomorrow and we will try that as well as other things. Will let you know what we find.

·
Spirited driver!
1,013 Posts
OK, it looks like we have solved it. We took apart the header to access the 3-position switch behind the driver's visor area. See highlighted area below:

When we removed the latch assembly, it looked like when you inserted the latch pin, it was only moving the switch from position 1 to position 2.5 (not quite all the way to position 3). We adjusted the switch so that it lined up properly and reassembled it. Everything seemed to work fine except that if you unlocked the doors you would get a HDR LATCH SWITCH FAULT!

Having never seen this before, we called Mike. He was busy but made time for us anyway. He gave us some things to try to isolate the cause but after taking it out for a test drive and many operations of the roof, we were no longer able to get any type of failure message. He said that the HDR Latch switch refers to the microswitches in the latching motor mechanism in the center of the header (#10 in the diagram above) and the possibly the action of unlocking put a voltage spike in an open wire that sent a signal to the RDM.

I don't know why we can't recreate the issue but the important thing is that it is still working perfectly after a 2-hour ride home with many bumps along the way that normally would sent the alarm bells chiming. Should any issue return, we have a pretty good idea where to look.

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,763 Posts
Good for you!

It is on How To: ROOF OUTER ACTURATOR, ROOF SEAL FIX,

Seals are getting tired, soft, there is a fix for about $10. bucks.

Can/May want to also adjust closing on ROOF while you had it apart. One or two turns on roof actuator RODS will close roof tighter and stop "Roof Ajar". In this case.

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I like the word WE, when it was PotkerGuy's expertise that got the header 3 way switch aliened and the roof striker moving the switch through it's 3 positions and there for fixing my Roof Ajar problem..
Thanks for all the concern and suggestions from everyone and a SPICIAL THANKS to Lance for taking his time to help me out, I hope at some point I'll be able to pay it foreword also......

·
Spirited driver!
1,013 Posts
I was correctly informed that my info on the switch in my other thread while informative, did not show where to find the switch. This picture should help. In the header behind the driver's visor, the switch is connected to the bracket that is shown here at the red arrow.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts