Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have thought and looked ,but for the life of me,I can't think what the lid that pulls down under the back cover is for???It's just a flat cover that doesn't seem to me be for anything.What in the world is it for?

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
I use it for storing paperwork and spare tie downs. Since the Center console is so small and the Glove box is not much better, seemed the logical thing too do. Just my Two Cents.

·
Slingshot Rules!
73,632 Posts
I have thought and looked ,but for the life of me,I can't think what the lid that pulls down under the back cover is for???It's just a flat cover that doesn't seem to me be for anything.What in the world is it for?
Simple answer, Dave . . . STUFF.

There have been a number of posts on here about that little compartment with some very clever solutions . . . tools, manuals, etc.

Consider yourself lucky as not all SSRs have that option. In fact, I believe it was totally dropped sometime during 2005.

The Doophus (05/05/05 Birthday) does not have one.

! :surprise: ! :cry ! :surprise: ! :cry ! :surprise: !

·
Registered
480 Posts
Somewhere on this site is a post about that.
Apparently, it was originally intended for tools.
The post here has a template and sample holder with a picture containing the
tools for an emergency roadside problem ( Plies, Wrench, Screwdrivers, etc.).
I'll post the link if I can find it again.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I knew it was there for a reason. Tool storage wasn't even something I thought. Just didn't look big enough for anything. I thought maybe a poster holder for car shows or for a mirror so you can tell if your hair was messed up from driving topless. Thanks again guys.

Reactions: DOOPHUS

·
Super Moderator
13,975 Posts
my 05 does not have it, YET. I am going to take the one from the 04 and put it on the 05
I was tempted to take the one from my '05 for the '06 but the :angel in me decided to leave the '05 absolutely as built.

·
Dr Who
649 Posts

I had read an article that it was intended to be a place for tools, so that's what I did with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts

There have been a number of posts on here about that little compartment with some very clever solutions . . . tools, manuals, etc.

Consider yourself lucky as not all SSRs have that option. In fact, I believe it was totally dropped sometime during 2005.

Thanks for the ed, one more background info to further have basic knowledge. Yes, would have been more convenient to have it - storage storage, really who doesn't need it?!

·
Super Moderator
13,975 Posts

I believe I determined the tonneau storage drop lid was discontinued around 1.30.2005 - just after the 74 :yellow: 2005 Indy Parades were built.
Other things were happening at the time - an extreme shortage of BCP/BHP - Satin/Body Colour engine cover inserts were a problem, undersupplied I assume.
Many MY2005 SSR built after VIN 5B12000 have the "Built Without Engine Cover Insert" on the Build Sheet in the 1SB category.
Prior to the shortage, all 1SB builds had the insert, 1SA builds did not have the insert.
MY2006 the engine cover inserts were discontinued entirely.
Any 2006 with an insert has been added - this is why there are no OEM PacBlue inserts.

Several of the Indy Parades left LCC with a Build Sheet indicating "No BHP" but were supplied later.
Other SSR's did not receive the same customer service, so many later build MY2005 1SB's were built w/o the insert.

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
I have a set of Dakota Doc Martin's aluminum letters S S R in mine, held in place with velcro. I will take picture of it tomorrow and post it here.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts