Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys-both my passenger and driver side windows do not fit/seal right when I open and close either door. Today it rained and they both leaked. Im scheduled to go to dealer tuesday for service.Anyone have this problem and what did the dealer do to fix it? Thanks Mikes Mid-Life

·
I'm not cool...
2,096 Posts
do the windows move 1/4 inch up&down when you open and close the doors?
black beauty lets in a couple drops when I wash it, I figure thats OK with all the stuff going on with the roof:flag

Attachments

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
mikepowell said:
black beauty lets in a couple drops when I wash it, I figure thats OK with all the stuff going on with the roof:flag
Same here a few minor trickles but not any different than my C5 Corvette.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
If everything is aligned right....there are no leaks......

·
Registered
56 Posts
Rain stays on the outside!

Well here in Britain it 'pisses' down with rain just about every day this time of year. My windows dont leak. But did have a problem until I lined them up properly.

What witht he salt, grit and chemicals we put on the roads to combat ice my poor SSR is looking very dirty indeed.
'Fraid mine is a daily driver. I love the way she looks but I love the way she drives even better and refuse to drive anything less as a 'winter' car.

Still makes me sad to see the crap all over the paint though!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Fix for windows

mikes mid-life said:
Hey guys-both my passenger and driver side windows do not fit/seal right when I open and close either door. Today it rained and they both leaked. Im scheduled to go to dealer tuesday for service.Anyone have this problem and what did the dealer do to fix it? Thanks Mikes Mid-Life
Search threads on windows, but when you go to your dealer ask them to replace the doorlock switch. This is the only sure fix for the problem of the windows not tightening up when you close the door.:)

·
Registered
122 Posts
mikepowell said:
Yep same here. I just washed "Goofy" yesterday and a couple of trickles on the driver side. None on the passenger side.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
I assume you have already checked to make sure they are "indexing" correctly?

By "indexing", I mean that each side window snaps up 1/4 inch into the weatherstripping after the door has been closed, and snaps down 1/4 inch to clear the weatherstripping as the door handle is pulled to open the door?

If the glass is not snapping up into the rubber weatherstripping, it WILL leak.

Sometimes SSRs lose their indexing on one or both windows if the battery was disconnected or the PCM was re-flashed, especially if one window was down or partially down at the time of disconnection, OR if a dealer mechanic or sales person opened a door while the battery was disconnected, forcing the window glass to "rip" out of the weatherstripping. This last (stupid) act also can tear or distort the weatherstrippnig so that it ceases to work correctly ever until replaced under warranty!

IF correct indexing has been lost for any reason, here's the procedure to restore it:

1. Turn ignition on

2. Fully raise driver's window

3. Then FULLY lower driver's window, holding the window button down just an extra half second after the window has fully lowered

4. Fully close the driver's side window, holding the button just an extra half second after the window has fully raised

5. Repeat steps 2 thru 4 for passenger side window

The windows should now be correctly indexing.

If this does not cure the leaks, get the weatherstripping replaced under warranty.

If that does not cure it, the door is out of adjustment when closed.

Jim G

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
English Gent said:
Still makes me sad to see the crap all over the paint though!!
I KNOW what you mean.....but somehow I still don't get out there and wash it every day :eek

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Leaking windows

I have had my windows leaking since birth. The dealer has replaced both weather-stripping on both sides. They have also replaced carpet once and will again if they can fix the leaking that has developed again. I live in Southern
California about 47 miles from Palm Springs. I am a very upset SSR owner between leaking windows, overheating in town driving and mountain driving. Plus the tubing rubbing on my roof when I lower the top down. Chrome rims
peeling and dealer doesn't want to take care of the problems.

Robert not so loveablewop Salerno

PS has anybody used the Lemon Law and won...?:banghead

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Robert Salerno said:

Yes there have been a couple who have done it on this forum.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Robert Salerno said:
I have had my windows leaking since birth. The dealer has replaced both weather-stripping on both sides. They have also replaced carpet once and will again if they can fix the leaking that has developed again. I live in Southern
California about 47 miles from Palm Springs. I am a very upset SSR owner between leaking windows, overheating in town driving and mountain driving. Plus the tubing rubbing on my roof when I lower the top down. Chrome rims
peeling and dealer doesn't want to take care of the problems.

Robert not so loveablewop Salerno

Find a new dealer/shop Repeat after me!!! It is not the seals, it is not the seals.
The windows are not aligned correctly. Find a dealer who will work with you on this problem and print off the info here and take it to them. Have you contact GM!?

Also have you had the latest and greatest fan installed for the overheating?
Hate to hear you are having problems!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Wildcat, Thank God you finally switched avatars. Now I can quit holding my breath waiting for the change...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have not noticed leaks yet, but seem to have some wind noise coming from the pasenger side. Anybody else notice this? Could be the same problem?:banghead

1 - 18 of 18 Posts