Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Forget about the Sirius adapter I listed!!

Friends,

I followed the Sirius install procedure found in the middle of this thread:
XM Radio Install (I know it says XM, but it covers Sirius too.)

I bought this adapter module:
Sirius adapter.

And this Sirius reciever:
SIR-KEN1

I hooked it all up and when I powered up the system, the display said: Sirius1! :)

Then a moment later the display said : XM ERROR :confused

Then it stopped saying anything about the sattelite no matter what I did. I tried reconnecting everything, powering on and off, pushing all the buttons in many different orders. The radio never again saw the sattelite. :mad

I called the tech support from the adapter module and they told me that it would only work with the older Sirius receivers! These went out of production almost a year ago.

So now what should I do? I was really hoping to drive my new (tom me anyway) SSR this weekend as it will be nice enough here for some top down cruising. But my dash is all to pieces....

Thanks,

Michael
efxguy
2004 Slingshot :thumbs

Update at end of thread!!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery?

No, I did not disconnect the battery.... :banghead

I Hope I did not screw this up permanently.

-Michael
efxguy
2004 Slingshot

·
Registered
269 Posts
Battery???

I don't think that is the problem. I did the XM. Check with the people that sold it to you. Looking at the links supplied, it seems you got what they recommend. I would guess you have taken a break from it now. see if the plug has come lose from the back of the factory radio.
Does the radio work normally otherwise. All bands and CD functions. If so...try disconnecting the Sirius unit and reinstalling it. Sounds like something is just loose.

Scott

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1HOT12C said:
I don't think that is the problem. I did the XM. Check with the people that sold it to you. Looking at the links supplied, it seems you got what they recommend. I would guess you have taken a break from it now. see if the plug has come lose from the back of the factory radio.
Does the radio work normally otherwise. All bands and CD functions. If so...try disconnecting the Sirius unit and reinstalling it. Sounds like something is just loose.

Scott

Scott,

Nothing is loose. This moring I did a complete reinstall and first disconnected the battery. Still no joy in Sattelite Land.

I will try a swap with the Sirius receiver in my wife's car, it is the recommended unit to work the adapter I listed below.

I notice now that the on the adapter page:
adapter

it lists that the KTC-SR903, KTC-SR901 are the two Siruis receivers that will work with the adapter, NOT the SIR-KEN1. Tech support from PIE says that the adapter in not intended to work with the SIR-KEN1 :mad

Why the heck do they sell it on the same page?

Regards,

Michael
2004 Slingshot, terrestrial radio only.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it to work, but it took some doin'!

Well, it took a bit of doing, but I the Sirius adapter to work on my SSR! :)

I contacted PIE, the makers of the adapter (mmmmmm......pie........) and they sent to me and updated EPROM chip that replaced one on the circuit board in the adapter. A a simple swap as there is a zif socket on the board and the enclosure snaps open and closed.

Then I pulled the dash apart again, though this time it was WAY faster and easier thanks to the tip (found on this site, of course!) about trimming the dash around the passenger airbag and an about a half hour had the whole thing installed. I had already trimmed the interior of the dash to accomodate the new plug on the back of the radio and I used industrial double sided foam tape to mount both the adapter and the receiver to the plastic shelf above the stock radio. I put the magnetic antenna inside the dash stuck to the top of what looks to be part of the wiper motor housing way up front near the base of the windshield. It receives well through the dash, windshield, open garage door and the roof of my garage as well!

The whole thing works very well! I love that I can switch the band button and get TWO Sirius bands. That means two sets of six presets! AND, this is the cool part, I can add a Kenwood disc changer or MusicKeg to the system too!

Regards,

Michael
efxguy
2004 Slingshot

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Try another adapter....

So I fanally called the tech support again to ask why the Sirius would go out on my stock 2004 SSR stereo.

APPARENTY, they (the adapter comapany, P.I.E.) says that the adapter doesn't support the SIR-KEN1!!!

Mine stopped working the day after I reinstalled it.

AND, if you use it with the SIR-KEN1 it will act erraticaly and not function correctly.
THey are right, mine has been very problematic since I bought it.

I spent some time today on the phone with tech support at PIE, and they do not advise using that adapter with the SIR-KEN1, ever for the reasons I listed above....

So, ignore any previous threads that says this will work. It won't. ANd PIE doesn't support this application. AT ALL.

So, I have recently found this adapter:

logjam adapter

It is being shipped today. So lets see if this one works....

Regards,

efxguy
2004 Slingshot
:mad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts