Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smashed it into a deer. Did everything I could to stop before the deer hit me, but it still smashed. Did quite a bit of damage to the front of the truck. The hood and fenders were smashed. Its in the body shop now.

I know accidents happen, and there isnt much you can do about a deer strike -- which is explainable.

Its in the body shop now, and they claim they will have it restored to "pre-strike condition" and not to worry. All I have to say, is they better get it right the first time, or we will have big issues.

To be quite honest. I dont really want the truck anymore. I wouldnt mind having that burnt orange color SSR, I wonder what one of those would run me?

It really sucks.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Too bad about your accident with the deer. Ya gotta watch out for those creatures, especially during the hunting season. You can get those little whistles and put one or two on your SSR, but even so.. you are very lucky you were not killed. Depending on where you live, the deer or elk have been known to total out even full size vehicles. Count your blessings.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Deer Sasuage

jasontq said:
Smashed it into a deer. Did everything I could to stop before the deer hit me, but it still smashed. Did quite a bit of damage to the front of the truck. The hood and fenders were smashed. Its in the body shop now.

I know accidents happen, and there isnt much you can do about a deer strike -- which is explainable.

Its in the body shop now, and they claim they will have it restored to "pre-strike condition" and not to worry. All I have to say, is they better get it right the first time, or we will have big issues.

To be quite honest. I dont really want the truck anymore. I wouldnt mind having that burnt orange color SSR, I wonder what one of those would run me?

It really sucks.
******Did you make some deer sasauge.......missed a good chance if you didn't.. :lol :lol

·
Banned
183 Posts
Please Do This, It worked for me. Go to the Body shop and talk to the Mgr. Tell him what I told my guy when my van was adorned with 12K in damage. Here Goes. and its simple. I WILL NOT ACCEPT I mean DON'T even Call me and tell me its done if the, #1 Paint has a mis match in color #2 DON'T paint around emblems or hardware REMOVE IT. #3 If there is ONE SPECK of overspray on ANY part of the car that should not have paint on it I will reject it. Just Consider I will REJECT anything not looking 100% PERFECT. If its not you will be RE DOING the car AGAIN Period!!!. If you don't think your shop can live up to my standards tell me now so I can take the car elsewhere. It worked, my car took an extra week but I would pay anyone 10K to ever tell that car had any work done to it. It can be done right, also visit the shop every couple of days and inspect the progress to show them you are not kidding. It also helps to find a shop that does "show cars" and street rods and/or Corvettes these shops tend to have the better paint and body people.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Relax....today it is a lot cheaper to replace parts as opposed to repairing them. They will have you looking good soon.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Sometimes when the customer gets too demanding with there repair requests, you might get invited to take yoiur work elsewhere.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oddly enough, the airbags did not fire. I dont know if that is something to worry about, or something that indicates that it wasnt that much of a hit? Not real sure.

As for the demanding 100% perfection. I told them that I will not accept anything less than perfect so get it right the first time. I even told my insurance company the same thing so that if I had any problems I would tell them too and SOMEONE will make it right. Otherwise they will see me until it gets done right. I am having it done at a GM body shop to ensure that things are done to spec. Not only that, I will have lifetime warranty from the body shop and my insurance company... Thats the only nice thing about the whole situation.

What bums me out is the fact that the truck is no longer original parts (the ones that came off of the line with the truck -- you know) and that its now on the vehicle's history report. I also told them NO AFTERMARKET PARTS

·
Banned
183 Posts
Scheide said:
Sometimes when the customer gets too demanding with there repair requests, you might get invited to take yoiur work elsewhere.
Well that is what I would WANT to hear. I would not want such a shop to touch my car. I would galdly go elsewhere if the shop Mgr told me that.

·
Banned
183 Posts
jasontq said:
Oddly enough, the airbags did not fire. I dont know if that is something to worry about, or something that indicates that it wasnt that much of a hit? Not real sure.

As for the demanding 100% perfection. I told them that I will not accept anything less than perfect so get it right the first time. I even told my insurance company the same thing so that if I had any problems I would tell them too and SOMEONE will make it right. Otherwise they will see me until it gets done right. I am having it done at a GM body shop to ensure that things are done to spec. Not only that, I will have lifetime warranty from the body shop and my insurance company... Thats the only nice thing about the whole situation.

What bums me out is the fact that the truck is no longer original parts (the ones that came off of the line with the truck -- you know) and that its now on the vehicle's history report. I also told them NO AFTERMARKET PARTS

Well it really does not matter as long as they use GM parts. All the hoods fenders etc are the same as factory. Done RIGHT the repair should be un detectable. Its the quality of the re-paint that always concerns me.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
I can actually "beat" your deer story with one of my own, that I believe takes the alltime prize for best deer story ever.

I was driving my brand new Nissan Altima, 600 miles and just 2 weeks old. I hadn't even made the first payment.

It was night-time, and the deer waited until I was broadside of him at 50 mph (accelerating up from a stop), and then leaped into the SIDE of the car. He bounced off the front quarter panel, the driver door, the rear door, and the rear quarter panel. And then, he staggered away! ("Fled the scene of the accident")

We wouldn't have even known for sure it was a deer, as it was pitch black on all SIDES of the car, but a bicyclist riding the shoulder saw the whole thing. He says the deer got up and staggered a bit and then ran away as through nothing had happened. The car did not do nearly as well. FOUR body parts damaged. The driver's door wouldn't even open, the side mirror was gone altogether, and even the window GLASS was gouged by his antlers. $3200 to repair.

To add insult to injury, a few weeks later my insurance company sent me a computer generated form letter in which they informed me that they would not be going after the "other party" to "recover your deductible from the responsible third party", so I paid that too.

Here is the text of the reply I sent to my insurance company, who took it in good humor (passed it around to all the clerks and managers in the office), but still wouln't pay my deductible:

January 7, 2003

Jackie Johnson
Claims Dept
Geico Direct
4201 Spring Valley Road
Dallas, TX 75244-3694

“Deer” Jackie:

Recently you sent us a letter concerning our deductible on our recent incident, claim no. 017588357-0101-020, in which a deranged deer ran into the SIDE of our moving car, on a Saturday evening, right after dusk, causing over $3000 worth of damage to our 2 week old new car with less than 600 miles on it.

You stated in the letter that Geico would not be bringing an action to recover our deductible from “the responsible third party”. We are disappointed that Geico will not be “pursuing” this IRresponsible third party, as the facts and circumstances clearly indicate that his act was one of wanton recklessness.

It is very clear to us that this was a young “horny” buck (his antlers gouged the windshield), out for a good time on a Saturday night, undoubtedly chasing females. He had been seen by numerous people hanging around with “others like him” by the side of the road, intimidating innocent passersby. They were all clearly a gang, as they travel in packs and all wear the same “colors”, which by the way are of the politically incorrect “camouflage” type.

Your television “chipmunk” commercial tells me that you understand that there are some in this world that are just malicious troublemakers. In this geographic area we live in, they are unfortunately somewhat common, and some cities are in fact banning them and their kind, and forcing these indigent drifters who contribute nothing to the local economy, to leave town.

This particular troublemaker had obviously just come from a “stag” party, as he was buck naked and behaved like a real animal. He was also clearly “under the influence”, as he staggered into the side of the car, and then after the accident staggered into the woods with his tail between his legs.

He clearly committed a number of offences: no lighting, naked in public, DWI, failure to yield right of way, leaving the scene of an accident (hit and “run”), and failure to report an accident. We’re also pretty sure he was uninsured.

Please note that he hasn’t contradicted any of my testimony in my accident report, and appears to be refusing to testify. In fact, right after the incident, he fled into the woods, and has been on the lam ever since. If he is ever arrested, he will probably “jump” bail.

We feel that Geico should have gone after this indigent drifter, and if he doesn’t have too many “bucks”, should have taken our deductible out of his hide. Geico should have “hunted him down” and made sure he paid “deerly” for the grievious damage he caused to our almost brand new car.

Thank-you for letting us vent.

Sincerely,

Jim and Karen Gnitecki

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Deer xing sign

It wasn't funny what happened to your car but that was a very funny letter.
On a trip to visit my family in Kentucky, we saw lots of Deer Crossing Signs, we don't have many of those in our area of Texas. My daughter (then 13) now 16. Saw those signs and wanted to know how the deer knew to cross there!!! :lol:lol I laughed so hard!!!

Now if you fella's would just let the deer cross at those signs we would not have these issues :lol:lol

Sorry that this happened to your SSR and you!!! If you get that orange one, let us know!! :seeya

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
the big difference between the deer x-ing in Texas and the ones in Colorado, is the signs in Colorado all have RED noses.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Deer

I wanted to ask if it was the first deer that got you or the second?

A friend of mine hit a deer earlier this year and he told me that he saw and was able to avoid the first deer, it was the second one that got him. Earlier this month I was driving down a dark road and saw a deer jump into the street. I braked and missed him, but then I continued to brake to a full stop and sure enough a second deer ran across the road. The only reason I missed the second deer was because of my friends story.

I

·
0 Posts
Lot less then a new one

Well...While its in the shop...have them repaint it burnt orange. Lot less then a new one. Your truck will be fine...!... :seeya

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Jasontq: Hmmmm. Fender and hood damage. Isn't that where you normally paint flames? Here's the opportunity to get an upgrade out of this! :)

Jim G

1 - 20 of 42 Posts