Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from an arrand into the city, and got concerned that maybe the engine cooling fan had failed again.

With my reprogrammed PCM, my engine coolant temperature gauge normally does not ever rise above 210, but this afternoon it started rising above that whenever I was stopped and idling, hitting the end of the "0" in the "210" label, and maybe a bit beyond.

This looks like the same synmptoms I had when the high-speed failed and only the low speed was working on the fan.

But, when I got home I checked the actual ambient air temperature on the web. In Austin right now it is 106 degrees!! (That's one hundred and SIX, yes)

So, maybe the SSR is entitled to a bit of extra slack today . . .

Jim G

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,428 Posts
Crimony Jim! It's only 94 here in the desert! :lol

Blast

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
9,319 Posts
It's been over 100 the past few days here in the High Desert...w/AC recirculating the :ssr hasn't gone over 210 at idle...but haven't had a long wait at a stop for a while...keeping my fingers crossed since everyone w/fan issues seem to have it more than once :nono

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,210 Posts
Acting Up

Mine acted up once while we were at a parade. Had the SSR in drive waiting in line (foot on brake of course) and everything seemed fine. After waitng for about four minutes I set it in park to wait. When the line started moving I shifted back into drive and looked at the temp gage, holy smokes 260!!, I noticed that as soon as I put it in drive them temp started going down, so crisis was averted.

Had the dealer check the fan out andit acted up fro them so they are trying to order a new fan. Gave them all the info from this web site, and will have to see when it arrives.

G

·
My SSR kept overheating up to 260 a few times... Everytime I went to the dealer they could not get it to do the same thing... One dealer in SC let it run for four hours and it did not overheat... I finally was near a dealer in Dallas when it happened and took it in and showed them... The dealer is Frank Parra Chevrolet in Irving, TX and when I picked it up they told me that there was history in their computer showing that there is a problem with our SSRs and the fan not turning on sometimes when it is supposed to... They said that they had corrected the problem per Chevrolet's instructions... That was a month or two ago and living in Texas, especially this year, we are still hitting 100 everyday and my car can set in traffic and has never gone over 210 since... My email address is [email protected] if you would like to contact Frank Parra and find out what they did I will give you my invoice number for the job...
Ed...
972-679-6216

G

·
From Th Earizona Eagle. I Found The Fix From Gm For Poor A/c Performance

I NEED HELP IN ENTERING A NEW POSTED MESSAGE
JimGnitecki said:
I just got back from an arrand into the city, and got concerned that maybe the engine cooling fan had failed again.

With my reprogrammed PCM, my engine coolant temperature gauge normally does not ever rise above 210, but this afternoon it started rising above that whenever I was stopped and idling, hitting the end of the "0" in the "210" label, and maybe a bit beyond.

This looks like the same synmptoms I had when the high-speed failed and only the low speed was working on the fan.

But, when I got home I checked the actual ambient air temperature on the web. In Austin right now it is 106 degrees!! (That's one hundred and SIX, yes)

So, maybe the SSR is entitled to a bit of extra slack today . . .

Jim G

G

·
Arizona Eagle

Jim, I Need Some Help.. How Do You Post A New Message?? I Have The General Motors Repair Bulletin ,part #, And Fix For Poor A/c Performance For Ssr's, But Don't Know How To Post The Message..help!!

Craig In Scottsdale,az. 602-738-9910 Cell

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,782 Posts
Go BACK one field to Technical Discussion. Click on "New Thread"

Let it rip!!!

P/P

Peace :flag

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ArizonaEagle: If all else fails, email me at:

[email protected]

and let me know what you are trying to do. Include any attachments in the email.

It is 11pm here in Austin, so I am going to sleep, but will react to your email, if it comes, in the morning.

Jim G

G

·
Are there any symptoms besides rising temps for you guys that have had failures? Mine so far stays at or below 210 - but my fan started making a buzzing sound at 10k, really noticeable when on high...

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
psychoslaphead: The only symptom reported up to now has been the coolant temperature reading. Your "buzzing" is the first I have heard about.

There is one possibility to check out.

When my cooling fan failed in Santa Fe, the GM mechanic replaced it, but mislocated the coolant HOSE that normally sits on a ledge near the top of the radiator assembly. He had that hose unsupported and hanging in a manner that allowed the fan to brush it as the fan rotated! Reese at MTI Racing picked up the error when I returned there for the camshaft swap. Fortunately, the contact in my case was too lsight to damage the hose (it "polished" the surface of the hose a bit at one point). If your hose has similarly bee mislocated, lift it back onto its support ledge and see if the buzzing disappears.

If it does not, I suspect that the electronic speed control built into the fan assembly is unhappy, and unhappiness is often followed by failure.

Jim G

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
rick418cars said:
my cooling fan has failed at 19,500 miles, new one on back order..........................
Hmm.. I would call the dealer about this.. Mine went out last Thursday, dealer ordered one on Friday and I got my truck back yesterday.

Mine quit all together....but all is well now!

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Boosted: Depends where your dealer ordered from. If from a warehouse or other dealer, he would have gotten it quickly, but would have gotten the OLD fan design that will just fail again. If he ordered direct from GM, might be backordered because the new fan might not yet be available in large numbers.

The new design has a higher duty cycle and also is more resistant to dust.

Jim G

·
Registered
32 Posts
HEY ALL YOU OVERHEATING SSR OWNERS ..... GOOD NEWS!!
I FOUND A COMPANY THAT WILL BUILD YOU A PROFESSIONAL 2X1"WIDE CORE ALUMINUM RACING GRADE RADIATORS, BELOW AM EMAIL FROM THEM TO ME:

We already build a radiator for the '04 SSR but we cannot build it in 1
week. We have a 3-4 week lead time right now.
Part # 1-16SSR05 = $695.00 plus shipping.

(Embedded image moved to file: pic17981.jpg)

Thank You,
Tim Crosby

Ron Davis Racing Products, Inc.
www.rondavisradiators.com
7334 North 108th Avenue
Glendale, AZ. 85307
TEL - 623-877-5000 ext. 3
FAX - 623-877-5001

GO TO: http://www.rondavisradiators.com/contact.htm

WHEN YOU CALL TIM PLEASE MENTION PAUL SENT YOU ....... HAVE FUN WITH YOUR SSR's

PAUL (paulny) ([email protected]

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.