Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If I were a suspicious person I would think I had been had. Last week a woman from the Laurel, MS area called me about her truck. She said she had seen my post (and got my phone number) about helping the man whose son had requested help for his father.
She brought her truck here yesterday and I spent about 3 hours working on the top cover getting it open and seeing why the DIC said "TIME OUT" when trying to open the top. I took the latches out and lubed the switches with CRC, Filled the reservoir with my fluid 3 times while working on it, (the threads for the cap were stripped). Final conclusion the top cover will not open because the pump cannot attain enough pressure because of the lift cylinders leaking so badly. I told her it would cost about $300 to have the cylinders rebuilt, but I highly recommend that the gas lift cylinders also be replaced. I pointed out that the off-brand lift cylinders she purchased were the wrong size and to replace them with the ones from Simple-Engineering.
After I had told her that Sam's would polish the discolored headlights and guarantee them for 5 years for $40. I told her that the white stuff on the running boards could be removed with Mr.Clean Pads and then dyed black with Forever Black.
After I had reattached the vinyl in four places that had separated on the headliner, she told me that she would talk to her husband and daughter about the truck, that her daughter wanted the truck and she would have to pay for the repairs. She also mentioned that a man had offered her $8500 for the truck because the top did not work and asked me what I thought the truck was worth. I told her that was a low ball price, with the top fixed for about $350 the truck with that mileage and condition was worth at least $12500.

She said her husband would contact me next week about bringing the truck down to remove the cylinders and left. (Didn't offer to replace the half can of top fluid that I used on her top, although she said "Oh good I bought the right kind" when she saw me open my new can.)

She called me this afternoon to tell me that she was able to sell the truck to the man when she explained to him how little it would cost to fix the truck (apparently the daughter suddenly did want the truck). And that she had given him my number and she was calling so I would know who the was when he called.

I think my labor rate for this truck just went from $0 to $75 per hour with a 3 hour minimum

Jack.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,193 Posts
There is always some one who will take advantage, given the chance, and then there are those who just don't know any better. Either way it hurts.

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevy SSR
751 Posts
I certainly understand where you are coming from on this one. I have tried to help as many SSR owners as I can since buying mine 7 years ago and having someone help me right from the start. Almost in every situation that we (Rgang) get very little appreciation it's because the the top doesn't work only to find out that they need it to work so they can sell it for more money. That situation does't happen very often and we have seen more SSR fanatics go away ecstatic after their top hadn't worked for two or more years.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,858 Posts
Jack, my friend..... You are in a very large group of "givers" in this SSR family. Seems like we come across a "taker" once in a while that shakes us a bit. Don't let it bother you too much. I have to say that the woman from Laurel, MS was not a true SSR person....... Perhaps the truck will go to someone that appreciates it.

My best to you,

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
If you do hear from the new owner I'd explain what you have already done for the woman. If he pushes back against your reasonable labor rate of $75 per hour for 3 hours you could always give him a list of things to do and direct him to his nearest Chevrolet dealer.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Chevrolet dealer will remove them all for about $1000 ... I'm pretty sure their rate is waaaaay more than $75/hour. I can take out a full set in 3 hours. ... and then Chevy will charge another $1000 to re-install. I cannot say I have been duped by anyone I have assisted, but I would be angry if I thought someone was exploiting kindness for profit. I have accepted absolutely NO pay for any of the 8 sets of cylinders removed, or other work performed, for fellow Fanatics. Maybe we need an unwritten code that someone be a member of this site for at least 6 months before we take on 'unreimbursed' work for them. If I see someone who needs maintenance work and who has only been a member for 'days' with only '1 post', I would be very suspicious of motive.

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,268 Posts
Jack, had similar experiences several times in the last few years. Almost didn't get one of my spare cylinders back from one individual. Those episodes and general lack of appreciation is why I've generally quit on R's anymore...

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,193 Posts
Chevrolet dealer will remove them all for about $1000 ... I'm pretty sure their rate is waaaaay more than $75/hour. I can take out a full set in 3 hours. ... and then Chevy will charge another $1000 to re-install. I cannot say I have been duped by anyone I have assisted, but I would be angry if I thought someone was exploiting kindness for profit. I have accepted absolutely NO pay for any of the 8 sets of cylinders removed, or other work performed, for fellow Fanatics. Maybe we need an unwritten code that someone be a member of this site for at least 6 months before we take on 'unreimbursed' work for them. If I see someone who needs maintenance work and who has only been a member for 'days' with only '1 post', I would be very suspicious of motive.
I have a few who call when they have a problem, still have not joined here where they can do their own research for nothing, or an annual fee if they wish, and then I hear nothing until they have another problem. I keep after them to make an appearance and introduce themselves but they "just can't seem to get there." Some just are not joiners but they take what I say to their mechanic and come away happy. I guess that is satisfying so I answer the phone the next time. I agree with Mike, it is just in our nature to help!

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,389 Posts
My thoughts are I really appreciate when someone helps me out.
1. First I thank them profusely.
2. I try to pay them at least something.
3. If they refuse payment I try to take them out to a nice sit down dinner somewhere down the road.
4. I look for ways to do a payback like help them move, paint, plumbing or whatever may be in my line of knowledge.
5. If all else fails I buy them a $100 gas gift card or get them something they want.
6. If all else fails I definitely pass it forward.

Just some thoughts.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Jack, had similar experiences several times in the last few years. Almost didn't get one of my spare cylinders back from one individual. Those episodes and general lack of appreciation is why I've generally quit on R's anymore...
I have wondered why you haven't posted much recently. I was hoping it was the new format. I understand your frustration. Luckily i have not had that experience with any of the "physical" help i have provided anyone. I have had a few that choose to ignore my advice when it comes to electrical problems and then after spending more time and money replacing what they've been told it "could" be. They then decide to do or pay for someone to perform testing as i recommended in order to actually find the problem.
Others seem to want free advice and then just disappear.
I like to think of myself as a "giver" and hope that i don't reach the point of frustration that you have. But, completely understand.
Hope you still participate with limitations you can live with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts