Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you could do it all over again - would you still buy the SSR or would you spend a couple grand more for a Vette?
I sold my Corvette and was planning on buying a new/newer Vette, but I am also drawn to the SSR. Now that I've read that GM is planning on addressing two of my major dissapointments with the SSR (poor hp to weight ratio and lack of manual trany) for 2005, I an really:confused .

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am with Wildcat...I love the looks of the SSR and I have always been a truck guy too. If I ever owned a Vette, I would want it to be a early one like a 58 or so. And I can not afford that.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
It's three to one. Never had a 'vette and never wanted one. Spent my youth in British sports cars. One look at the SSR about 2-3 years ago in a "concept" tv ad and I was hooked. I can beat most people off the line because they're still staring at the cool truck.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Had 2 Vettes, 80 & 84 brand new, was going for #3, sat in SSR, put the top down in the Showroom, bought 1 two months later...still Happy!!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm very pleased with my 2004 SSR. Can't think of any vehicle I would have purchased other than the SSR. I've been driving my 1982 El Camino for twenty years and SSR was a natural move and I'm still driving the El Camino. I will never use my SSR as I do my El Camino and I do keep my El nice and clean.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I love my SSR. Is it as fast as a vette? No. Have I ever compared it to a vette? No. I was never a fan of vettes and was considering an M3 (BMW) instead of an SSR. But as the USA Today article said, it's the only car that puts a smile on everyone's face. Just today I was stopped by this guy who couldn't believe his eyes when he saw a Chevy go topless the way mine did.

Having said all that, I am planning to buy a C6 Z06 when it comes out. I already have $500 down to get the first one from the same dealer I got my SSR at. I estimate it to be next Fall of 2005 hopefully. I love the looks of the C6.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Me, too

scuba,

I am simply reiterating what others have said. To answer your question...by all means yes I would do it again. The SSR has been the perfect fit for me from the time I saw the renderings and the concept. I always loved the lines of the late 40s Chevy trucks, so this thing captivated me.

That having been said, I am not in the same situation as you. I have liked Vettes, but I have never loved them. I love the SSR. Being a Vette inthusiast, you have different tastes than me and please understand this truck is not a Corvette. I know some of the marketing focuses on the same potential customers and there is some overlap between Vette people and SSR people, but when you read about the SSR on Corvette forums they are not as thrilled with it. I even think there were a few buyers on this site that sold their SSRs soon after buying them because it did not meet their expectations.

My opinion...If you have to ask whether others would do it again, you probably have enough doubts that a C6 would be a better fit for you, but don't take my SSR away from me. I'd rather have it than anything else I can afford (?).

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
scuba said:
If you could do it all over again - would you still buy the SSR or would you spend a couple grand more for a Vette?
I sold my Corvette and was planning on buying a new/newer Vette, but I am also drawn to the SSR. Now that I've read that GM is planning on addressing two of my major dissapointments with the SSR (poor hp to weight ratio and lack of manual trany) for 2005, I an really:confused .
I'm lucky because I am able to have both because of good investments. I use the SSR as my daily driver but I've been driving the Z06 on sunny days whenever I get a chance.

Both vehicles are a lot fun but I've never had a vehicle that got such a reaction from the public as the SSR. If you want performance get a Z06 or a new C6 but if you want all around fun get the SSR.

Dragon

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well after alittle over a month of ownership i haven`t
quit smiling and don`t miss my Z06 one bit, well except
for the 405hp and the heads up display.

Later,
John :seeya

·
Registered
181 Posts
Still Happy with My Decision!

Nearly 6 months of ownership of my Redline Red SSR and I'm still convinced that I made the right decision. Lots of excellent autos being manafactured in today's world and you got to get the one that fits your individual needs and wants. I was very tempted by the mechanicals of the new GTO but wasn't very excited by its somewhat bland appearance. I've been a hardcore speeder most of my life and if you've got the horsepower you tend to use/abuse it. Speeding isn't as much fun as it once was due to stricter law enforcement, police without a sense of humor, improved radar, airborne radar, higher insurance rates if you do get ticketed often, points against your driver's license, big bucks speeding tickets, etc. I'm much less paranoid cruising in my SSR because that's what it is, a cruiser. Not a racer nor a road rocket so I sit back and enjoy the world cruising around in a gorgeous SSR that puts a smile on everyones face. Especially mine! Yep, best damn decision I've made in 40 yrs. of buying autos and this is my 58th. auto purchase.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Absadarnloutley !!!

U bet I'd buy it again!!! It's a fun vehicle n I never get tired of the looks n comments. It's still the best "chick magnet" goin'.

Jus enjoy it.....
:cool

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have had several vetttes and have a 64 convertable now and I have enjoyed the ssr more than all the vettes

·
Registered
19 Posts
ssr all the way. everybody and there brother owns a corvette. you look in the auto trader and the corvette's are everywhere. i have a 79 L - 82 vette that i bought new it is fun but NO where close to my ssr. just bought a 2004 ford lightning pick up. loads of horsepower but nowhere as fun to drive as the ssr.

fatrat # 3785

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Would i buy again ???????????

Yes and did. Both my wife and i have SSR's. We also have a 99 C5 that i hate to say hasn't left the garage since we purchased her SSR.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Why choose one over the other?

RedTn.SSR said:
... I was very tempted by the mechanicals of the new GTO but wasn't very excited by its somewhat bland appearance...
We got a new GTO when my dealer got one in. I love the sleeper appearance of it and it's actually more comfortable for me to drive than the SSR. The wife drove it a few weeks and reminded me she really wanted an SSR. So when I got a promotion and a raise, I got her an SSR.

Would I buy either again? Youbetchurass.

Diggs

·
Registered
601 Posts
I will do over again in 2005. I love the looks I get when I go past. And I love to piss the Benz drivers off when my little Chevy get more attention then there 120k Benz. :thumbs I also love to go to boat and car shows and get more attention than the entries. :cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
I love to look at vettes but when I see my SSR in my driveway I grin from ear to ear.

and when i drive her it ain't the wind putting that grin on my face either.

SSR all the way!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have been driving Corvette's for 10 years, when my wife & I got married 8 years ago I told her to get use to a vette in the family, cause there will always be one.
Bought the SSR 3 weeks ago, more people have talked to me about the SSR in that time then all the time I've owned the other. Wife says only one toy the SSR or the vette, first $32K takes the vette, it's been modified to put out over 410HP any interested parties can see it here http://www.nwcorvette.com/images/Forsale/Slydur/Slydur for sale.pdf
Buy the SSR

1 - 20 of 21 Posts