Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used '05 SSR. I don't know about any updates that have been made, if any. I know it does not have the frame supports but what about the ignition switch? Mine is working fine but how can I tell if it is the original or been replaced?

·
Premium Member
5,890 Posts
I bought a used '05 SSR. I don't know about any updates that have been made, if any. I know it does not have the frame supports but what about the ignition switch? Mine is working fine but how can I tell if it is the original or been replaced?
Jack, the only way you can tell is take the cover off and see what color the ignition switch is whether it's white or whether it's gray. The next time we get together I can pull the cover down and see what color it is and then we'll know for sure hope to see you soon Robert

·
Premium Member
5,890 Posts
You can go to orielys and get one they're about $43 O'Reilly sells Borg Warner, I bought a ACDelco put it in it was defective right out of the bag. Went to O'Reilly's and got a BorgWarner installed it working fine. so you can choose what you want one made in China or one made in Mexico.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
It's an easy procedure to change it out if you follow dictators directions. You might want to just go ahead and do it as you don't know how old yours is. I bought an AC delco unit on ebay. Inexpensive and easy.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,665 Posts
I look at it this way, IF you don't know how long or IF ever been changed, "CHANGE IT"!

ACDelco D1426D is the part# but you can do what ever you like. Careful! Knock offs out there!

I also change Battery if I don't know it has been changed or at least look at date, change NEG Battery Cable at same time.

I change Battery and Cable every 4/5 years if I need to or not.

Ground completes the circuit!

Ignition switch MUST see 9 Volts for everything to work. Lets see, 9 volts from 12 volts ONLY leaves 3 volts NOT much to play with.

I just don't like problems on the road.

SSR How to Library: https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

Dicktator

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting on the Negative Battery Cable change when you change batteries. I'm a kid by no means and have replaced countless batteries through the years but I have never heard or done that but doesn't sound like a bad idea. Thinking back, I have had some ground problems in the past on various autos but never the battery ground cable nor would that have cured my previous problems.

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,276 Posts
Which one is stock, White or Gray?
NEITHER... The original ones that were bad were All Black. The Delco replacement switches are half black and half gray. In mid/late '05, GM was installing the newer black/gray switches as well in trucks on the line. The main issue during the replacement is not getting it indexed properly and thus the owner thinks it is defective (not starting properly) or causing a battery drain. I have had to reindex switches on several fellow owner's SSR'S that were installed improperly, one of which was installed by dealer. I always note/mark the key position for where the switch makes contact for ACC ON position (not just the lock cylinder alignment with shroud) prior to removing the old switch. Then comparing the initial ACC contact position after installing new switch. Easy to spot if your a cog or two off. Remember out of the box the switch may be in any position, the switch and the lock cylinder gears must be properly aligned (indexed) for the switch to function correctly. Follow Dicktator's instructions.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Interesting on the Negative Battery Cable change when you change batteries. I'm a kid by no means and have replaced countless batteries through the years but I have never heard or done that but doesn't sound like a bad idea. Thinking back, I have had some ground problems in the past on various autos but never the battery ground cable nor would that have cured my previous problems.
I am with you as I have never heard of this. It seems to me there is far more preventive maintenance on this vehicle than most. Ignition switches, radiator support bar, ABS heat shield protector and a host of other potential problems. I am not mechanically inclined and because of that would not take my truck on a long trip. It appears it will become a semi garage queen.
John F.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,397 Posts
I am with you as I have never heard of this. It seems to me there is far more preventive maintenance on this vehicle than most. Ignition switches, radiator support bar, ABS heat shield protector and a host of other potential problems. I am not mechanically inclined and because of that would not take my truck on a long trip. It appears it will become a semi garage queen.
John F.
The nice thing about this family is that we are all over the country and if you have an issue you will probably have someone who will help. If not there are those who will spend the time to get you back on the road even if they have to travel a bit.
The secret is to have the truck in good shape when you leave on your trip. Do you keep the truck in CA or US garage? Have you met your neighboring Fanatics? These are important parts of the maintenance plan as well.

Reactions: tennesseecozydog

·
Registered
243 Posts
BlueStreak, My truck is kept in Canada and I have met some Fanatics in my area. I realize some of you guys have huge millage on your trucks but you also have the ability to fix them if you run into a problem. I keep another Toy in Southern CA. and I am not sure I would take it on a big trip either but I think there is less chance of something going wrong with it than my SSR.
John F

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Amazon $25.78

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=ACDelco+D1426D[/ame] for $25.78.

Jack

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,665 Posts
I guess you guys should read SSR How to Library, look up BATTERY CABLE FIX.

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

Spent long time finding electrical problem on an SSR from Miami. Had to replace Ignition Switch, RDM, Battery Cable before fix. We finally took it to Dealer, who I work with and by accident, Shaun found "Bad" Battery Cable which was causing all the electrical problems.

SSR 03/06 has Multiplex wiring, Class 2, which means GROUND completes circuit. Bad Ground! NO Work! Not like two wires, say Red, Black, we have BLACK, that's it. GROUND is the Red wire.

Multiplex wiring means more than ONE signal travels over SAME wire! Bad Ground, Bad Signal, NO Work!

You can not just cut, splice wire like the OLD days.

You are converting 12 DC to a "computer" signal in Milliamps/millivolts! EVERYTHING goes thru ignition switch, 5 Contacts.

We have 13/14 years experience with the SSR, Dealers call us!

You do what you like, it's your SSR, we were just trying to share our experience to help avoid all the $$ and time we have spent.

Dicktator

1. Ignition Switch has 5 sets of points, Factory used "cheap" material on points, changed to tungsten but did not change part#, just color of one cover on D1426D made one cover "grey"
2. Sprocket on Switch MUST be in correct position with Sprocket on key tumbler, if not, could drain battery or make strange things happen to SSR, remember "Multiplex" wiring. Switch is also tied to Security System which is part of Radio. See Red light on Radio.
3.Body NEG Ground, "Y" cable, one for Body, one for Frame.
4.Body NEG Ground "GLOWING" in the dark! BAD Ground!! Your ECM/Engine Computer, BCM/Body Control Module and RDM/Roof Door Module does not like this!! Bad Ground could cause you to buy NEW ones, if you can find them.
5. New NEG Ground Cable only from NAPA, GM no longer has them. Battery Cable - Negative Part Number: CBL 718315
Product Line: NAPA Battery Cables

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts