Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking from some expert consultation here... was under the rod today after installing the new air dam from Mike... and noticed some leaks:mad :mad . The first is the bell housing... obviously a drop of oil just waiting to fall on the garage floor... then noticed that the floor has many drops on it. I don't think this is supposed to do this... and maybe Freezer, or one or you great techs on this forum, does this look normal:( (personally, I don't think any oil leaks are normal on a 1 yr old vehicle) can you tell me if your dealership would fix this under warranty... new seal??

Then looked at the drive shaft. :banghead :banghead Was at Jim G's last week and we were looking at his old drive shaft with the doughnut on the front near the tail shaft. Looks like mine has the rubber o ring coming out too, and then noticed that there is leakage around the seal transmission tail stock and runnning down the rear of the transmission housing. Jim, is this what yours looked like when you had the rear seal and other parts replaced? Now I can't remember exactly what you said you had replaced.... BESIDES the drive shaft to get one without the doughnut

OK, so what else... then saw the very obvious carbon streaking on the muffler:cry :cry ... now I know that there is a weep hole in the muffler which is supposed to let out the moisture so it does not rust from the inside... but I have NEVER seen a muffler with what looks like an exhaust leak from the weep hole. Again, Freezer, or one of you techs out there... does this look normal?:skep

So looks like I'll be driving a loaner again... maybe I'll get the Hummer again... So I'm looking for some of your collective consultation before I drive the beast back to the dealer. THANKS in advance.:eek

Attachments

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,065 Posts
Dave,

The bell housing looks like my Tahoe rear main seal leak. If coming from inside. Transmission removal required.

Looks like a little weeing from the output shaft seal also. Probably good time to do this too.

my 2 cents,

Mikey

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
That leak has a TSB on it I think and not just the SSr is involved. The black on the muffler is very normal thats just gunk/carbon exiting the weep hole.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
You shouldn't be having the leaks. Having oil drip on your garage was eliminated several years ago. I do not remember the muffler weeps as being that black, mostly they were reddish, but others may have observed mostly black from the SSR. I haven't looked under mine for several months.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
I have been saying for a while now that the driveshaft with the heavy donut wieght on it is bad news, as that composite steel and rubber donut becomes unbalanced with miles and because of its weight than unbalances the driveshaft, which tears out the tailshaft seal in the tarnsmission, and also destroys the finish on the front end of the shaft inside the tailshaft yoke.

The yoke, driveshaft, and tailshaft seal all need replacement on yours under warranty. The main seal leak is a separate warranty problem. Tell the dealer you will not accept the now discredited version of the driveshaft that has the big donut weight on it (There are problem many in stock in the distirbution channel, just waiting for the unwary to install them!:) )

I am not familiar with the muffler weeping, and cannot check, as I have (ahem) "non-factory" mufflers.

Jim G

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THANKS for the info...

freezer said:
You shouldn't be having the leaks. Having oil drip on your garage was eliminated several years ago. I do not remember the muffler weeps as being that black, mostly they were reddish, but others may have observed mostly black from the SSR. I haven't looked under mine for several months.
I understand the black soot on the tail pipes... surely have that:eek , but I've never seen this on the muffler and I have had 3 new cars in the last 5 years beside the rod, and I've never seen this happen before. So I'm just wondering if there is a problem with it... I'd be interested if any others of you see the same thing on your mufflers... Mine is an 04 with automatic trans... still stock.

Jim, thanks... couldn't remember exactly what you had replaced on your previous drive shaft issues... the rod will be getting a new one without the doughnut... so until I get my old truck sold and can get one of Dennis' drive shafts... guess I'll get the tink back:cry :cry At least it's not serious and doesn't really detract from the thrill of the ride.

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
The black on the muffler is just weepage from inside the dirty muffler. Its nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
500 Posts
oil leak

My 03 had an oil leak just like the one pictured.I changed to synthetic oil and wiped off the mess on the bell hosing and have not noticed the same leak since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts