Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
High Plains Roadster
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving through town yesterday and stumbled on a slingshot yellow SSR for sale in a used RV sales lot.

We spun around to look it over. It is a 2003 model with the usual accessories and in excellent shape.

It had a Wyoming Steamboat bronco decal (about 8 inches high) on the side that showed it was a local vehicle.

The sign said it was being sold "as is" for $29,800. The sign also said it had only 15k miles.

Surprisingly, no sales people came around to hawk it so we left.

If it wasn't for my absolutely fabulous 2005 ricochet silver SSR (and my limited bank account) I would be tempted.

·
High Plains Roadster
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree this price was plenty high. My guess is they would take less. But it is typical of these places to start real high hoping some shmuck will come along and buy it at their list price. They have it sitting in front of their RV sale lot on a very busy street (busy, at least, for Cheyenne) plus it is an SSR after all so maybe it will work for them.

·
Slingshot Rules!
71,345 Posts
I agree this price was plenty high. My guess is they would take less. But it is typical of these places to start real high hoping some shmuck will come along and buy it at their list price. They have it sitting in front of their RV sale lot on a very busy street (busy, at least, for Cheyenne) plus it is an SSR after all so maybe it will work for them.
Often referred to as "Wiggle Room," KJA . . .

Most anyone selling an SSR or just about anything nowadays usually begins about 10 to 20% higher than what they actually expect and/or want to get.

! :surprise: ! >:) ! :surprise: ! >:) ! :surprise: !

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
From my personal experience, dealers have to start high because most people THINK their "trade in" is worth more than it actually is. The dealer starts high so that he/she can "show" you more for your trade in and not hurt your feelings. As a former dealer, many customers would tell me that the "other guy" is giving him more for his trade. Reality: No they are not. You're being "shown" more for your trade. In your area, the actual cash value(ACV) or your trade in is not going to differ more than $500 no matter where you shop. They may "show" you more, but......... $29,800-15,000 = $14,800....$26,800-$12,000 = $14,800. "Dealer ABC is giving me more for my trade than dealer XYZ, therefore I'm getting a better deal at..."

·
High Plains Roadster
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Curtis... you are so very right. It is a real kabuki dance that dealers sometimes have to go through to make people feel they have somehow got one over the other guy, the dealer, and that they have made a real killing. The bottom line is, well, the bottom line, the net.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts