Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was informed today that sewing outfit would not sew SSR on to the headrest of my seats because chev has the rights to this logo. Is there any way around this with out contacting Chev.? :confused
Doug
 

·
Enjoying life as it comes
Joined
·
5,208 Posts
loop holes

Providing you're not going to mass produce these or attempt to make money off the SSR logo you are not infringing on the copyrights of GM. If it's for your personal ride, it should be fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
643 Posts
SSR is NOT a REGISTERED trademark. Nowhere does it appear with a registered symbol attached (small R in a circle). The name SSR is simply a GM trademark.
Which means you can't go naming another product SSR. (This is not so simply explained on the back of the SSR showroom brochure, and probably on any other promotional material),

Take a clean, crisp B&W copy of SSR to your embroiderer for them to work from. Do not ask them to reproduce it from any affiliated GM material.

Good Luck! Let us know how it looks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Embroidery Issue

Basically agree with Fuzzy. Recently had some boat seats embroidered with the manufacturer's logo with no challenge from the embroidery shop. A friend took an old family portrait to Walmart to get it digitized, and because it had a professional photographer's name in the lower right hand corner, Walmart refused!!

You might try another embroidery shop, and just take in a scan of the logo--nothing showing Chevyrolet or GM. Tell em its your nickname, short for super stock racer.

PCBeach
:ssr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
218 Posts
Find another embroidery shop :seeya
They must not need the work.
Who is gonna bust them the embroidery police?
that my 2 cents
 

·
I DO WINDOWS
Joined
·
8,830 Posts
...

I’m told Walt Disney and Harley Davidson has full time lawyers to track this stuff down. I know a flee market up here was making Jesse’s James, West Coast Chopper shirts and selling them; local police walked in and took all his stock. But yes if you do a one of for your own use, it’s just proud free advertising you would think. … I hope, because I’m planning on doing something with the SSR line Art myself.
 

·
OP
Joined
·
8,226 Posts
business owner

As a business owner with a registered trademark I am here to tell you that it is the responsibility of the Business owner or their assignees (lawyers, etc.) to police trademark infringement.

This embroiderer may have been burned before or just may be a true believer of "Murphy's Law".

You are probably going to find someone to do the job for you and by taking a blank copy of what you want done as someone just previously mentioned, you will be ok, although GM could hunt you down to make you pay them a licensing fee. I am sure they have a guy driving around right now peeking into all the SSR windows throughout the US looking for non-licensed SSR embroidery modifications. :jester
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
ampmop said:
As a business owner with a registered trademark I am here to tell you that it is the responsibility of the Business owner or their assignees (lawyers, etc.) to police trademark infringement.

This embroiderer may have been burned before or just may be a true believer of "Murphy's Law".

You are probably going to find someone to do the job for you and by taking a blank copy of what you want done as someone just previously mentioned, you will be ok, although GM could hunt you down to make you pay them a licensing fee. I am sure they have a guy driving around right now peeking into all the SSR windows throughout the US looking for non-licensed SSR embroidery modifications. :jester

That's why I tinted my windows, can't even put the top down now for that pesky guy tring to snoop! :glol :glol :leaving :lol :lol :seeya
 

·
Machell
Joined
·
20,829 Posts
Then that would mean all of us with WindsuppreSSR are in big trouble or at least Rhobbel is :lol If they are making them in large amounts then there could be some trouble.
 

·
OP
Joined
·
8,226 Posts
wildcat66 said:
Then that would mean all of us with WindsuppreSSR are in big trouble or at least Rhobbel is :lol If they are making them in large amounts then there could be some trouble.
If someone from GM wanted to pursue it, you are correct...but the manufacturer would be liable, not the buyer, but items could be confiscated if you really wanted to get nit-picky...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,768 Posts
We just spent a year studying copyright. It really comes down to this "If you created it, you own the copyright" You don't have to register it, the second the pen hits the paper. the finger pushes the camera button, you get the idea, it is copyrighted. So if you didn't create it, you better ask and keep in mind that a no response is not a yes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
REBEL said:
I’m told Walt Disney and Harley Davidson has full time lawyers to track this stuff down. I know a flee market up here was making Jesse’s James, West Coast Chopper shirts and selling them; local police walked in and took all his stock. But yes if you do a one of for your own use, it’s just proud free advertising you would think. … I hope, because I’m planning on doing something with the SSR line Art myself.
Rebel is correct. Harley Davidson has a full time staff that doese nothing but infringments. If you sell products that fit on a HD you can't use there name to advertise it. You can say it is for a HD you have to use the word "FOR" in front of it. I invented a replacement rear susspention for HD Softails. I named it Sofspention, and they sued me because they felt it was to close to softail. I won, then they turned around and knock off our trailer line. To get around my patten they changed the way the hinges were positioned. They all failed and they had a 100% recall. What I am getting at is, they are not anyone to fool whith nor is G.M. they will come after anyone using there logo. They have to to protect themselves. All the products I have seen here is just a matter of time before they come and they will come, unless you have gone threw the proccess with them. Sorry to ramble it's a touchy subject with me.
KEn
 

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
Joined
·
8,650 Posts
Not for profit only

ampmop said:
... you will be ok, although GM could hunt you down to make you pay them a licensing fee. I am sure they have a guy driving around right now peeking into all the SSR windows throughout the US looking for non-licensed SSR embroidery modifications. :jester
The only problem I can see is if someone were selling embroidered merchandise with SSR logos on it for a profit. If Doug is only wanting to do his head rests with SSR logos I don't see where GM would go after anyone... unless someone were to start selling leather inserts or pieces on here or Ebay with the SSR logo on them for profit.
 

·
OP
Joined
·
8,226 Posts
Ken Thurm said:
Rebel is correct. Harley Davidson has a full time staff that doese nothing but infringments. If you sell products that fit on a HD you can't use there name to advertise it. You can say it is for a HD you have to use the word "FOR" in front of it. I invented a replacement rear susspention for HD Softails. I named it Sofspention, and they sued me because they felt it was to close to softail. I won, then they turned around and knock off our trailer line. To get around my patten they changed the way the hinges were positioned. They all failed and they had a 100% recall. What I am getting at is, they are not anyone to fool whith nor is G.M. they will come after anyone using there logo. They have to to protect themselves. All the products I have seen here is just a matter of time before they come and they will come, unless you have gone threw the proccess with them. Sorry to ramble it's a touchy subject with me.
KEn
Here, Here. Sorry to hear about your legal ordeal, but glad to hear it somewhat worked out for you. I couldn't agree more with your assessment as to what may eventually happen to those infringing. Everyone out there would protect their interest if they felt they were being trampled upon so we can't blame the big boys for doing the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
Marc NY said:
The only problem I can see is if someone were selling embroidered merchandise with SSR logos on it for a profit. If Doug is only wanting to do his head rests with SSR logos I don't see where GM would go after anyone... unless someone were to start selling leather inserts or pieces on here or Ebay with the SSR logo on them for profit.
Marc,
You are correct, I can knock off a corvette. As long as I don't sell it. I have knocked off the SSR logo on my truck. It is on my running board treds, when I sell it I will replace it with ones without the logo.
Ken
P.S. Where the hell is Buffy?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
What is in a design

SSRJIM said:
We just spent a year studying copyright. It really comes down to this "If you created it, you own the copyright" You don't have to register it, the second the pen hits the paper. the finger pushes the camera button, you get the idea, it is copyrighted. So if you didn't create it, you better ask and keep in mind that a no response is not a yes.
When we design Corporate Identities and other advertising, we transfer the rights to the design to the customer. Once that is done, If we want to use a reproduction of the design in our own advertising, legally we have to ask permission. The same would apply to the official Chevy SSR Logo, but I doubt Chevy would give permission to use it on anything. :nono

I have had designs knocked off. It is not a fun process trying to prove you were the first to come up with a certain look, layout, trailer, car part, etc. The laws are suppose to protect originality, but the way the laws are written, the process is a joke. For example: You write a hit song, it’s copyrighted. I use your tune exactly how you created it and change the words, I have a new creation and can enjoy the same copyright protection without paying royalties. :willy:

On the other end of the spectrum, we have reproduced printed materials where our customer did not have all copyrighted permissions secured. This is a very touchy subject because copyright laws can be all inclusive. You would think that the customer would be liable, but the way the law is written, everyone that “touches” the process can be held responsible. :banghead If I asked for a written statement from every customer on every job if they have permission to use every photo, logo, element or design for every printed piece that I produced, I would not be in business.:cry


Bottom line....The Embroiderer was correct to turn down the job (Copyright Infringement) But, you didn’t ask for them to produce a quantity that would make them think you were going to be selling them so they could have done the job for you and not worried about it. :thumbs

Joe Davis
StepPrinting.com
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top