Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When cutting the carpet and padding, how much of an area do you cut out for the padding to install the mounting bracket for the gauges? When installing the mounting bracket, what do they mean when they say 45 degree angle when installing the mounting bracket? With removal of the padding, do you install the mounting bracket on top of the carpeting, or does the carpeting go over the mounting bracket? Any help would be appreciated, or if anyone has pictures.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Remove as much of the padding as you can other wise the ash tray won't open all the way. the bracket is going to lay on top of the carpet and the front of the bracket will slide under the counsol and bolt to the stud on the HVAC box. the bracket will hold the carpet down, and one more thing DO NOT cut the carpet all the way to the front or it may slide down over time, I have had to replace two carpets because other dealers cut the carpet to far. It's really an easy job takes me only 20 min. good luck

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone have any step by step pics? Also, can you cut the carpet in the center only, just enough to get at the padding, and leave the two outer ends intak? How far is the wire harness from the floor to where the mounting bracket bolts in?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
fatherlarry, Make about a 5-6 inch slice in the center of the carpet from the center counsol going to the front of the truck. that should be enough to get your hand under the carpet to remove the padding, you will want to remove about 6 inch of padding on each side of the cut. you will have to feel around for the connector I have even found it under the counsol. Didn't your gauges come with a set of destructions. If you need more info let me know

·
Premium Member
9,311 Posts
I found removing the padding under the carpet quite tedious - it came out in chunks by tugging at it. Some areas were really glued down to the carpeting, and it took a little patience and some cussing.

Installing the bracket is the easy part.

Ray

1 - 7 of 7 Posts