Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any tips or short cuts on removing and installing hood hinges. Thanks, Robert.

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
2,072 Posts
You might see a few friends in couple of weeks.... Just saying. But I think I'd want to be by my garage in case there was an issue. But I'm real good at holding....

·
Ms Donna's Driver
04’ Silver and 05’ Sinister
4,109 Posts
You might see a few friends in couple of weeks.... Just saying. But I think I'd want to be by my garage in case there was an issue. But I'm real good at holding....
I’m good at waiting. Is that the same as holding.....

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Are you changing the hinges or hood? Or putting the same parts back together? I have drilled small holes through the hinge and under side of the hood to put guides so when you put the hood back on it lines up pretty close again. I haven't looked at the hood hinges on the SSR so not sure if it would work on them like it did on old GM cars.

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,341 Posts
Mark the hood and the hinges before you take it off and apart or you will never get the hood lined up again. Three people preferred. One on each side of the hood holding and one running the wrenches. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
9,283 Posts
I can say from experience that removing the hood is a 3 person job. I would also recommend doing it when it's easily accessible.

Waiting until you find out the engine hoist won't clear the hood blanket, and you have to raise the now loose hood over the hoist is not the ideal situation.😱

·
Premium Member
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took hood off to install stainless blanket. Me and a neighborhood. Going to replace hinges one side at a time. Me and the lovely wife. Her job will be to hold hood still so it doesn't hit windshield. If that happens she better start running. Just kidding.

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,888 Posts
it takes a lot of patience.... by all means mark the hood and the cowl to align the hinges with. if you have smallish hands, you may be able to change out the cowl area without removing the fenders. worst part was not enough room for 2 bodies and 4 hands on the same hinge. Umpire13 and I did mine without completely removing any of the body.

·
Ms Donna's Driver
04’ Silver and 05’ Sinister
4,109 Posts
Just use some folded up towels for assurance. I would hate to see the lovely wife getting damaged

1 - 13 of 13 Posts