Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a set of their supermaxx headers in my 05 this weekend. Ya, it can be done at home with floor jacks and jack stands. Here's a few changes that will make it easyer (at least on the 05). After you remove the stock "Y" pipe, don't reinstall the trans crossmember yet. On the right side(passenger side) remove the stock manifold - starter bolts. remove the transmission dip stick then the nut holding the trans dip stick tube. pull the tube up just out of the trans, you just need to rotate it against the motor. remove the 2 bolts holding the heat shield on the lower right front side of the transmission. The starter needs to be pushed as far forward as you can get it. before installing the right header, lower the transmission tail shaft apx. 4". Install the header - if its not going in, be sure that the starter has not slid back. once the header is in, reinstall the trans. crossmember. Reinstall the trans dip stick tube into the trans(be sure that you get it into the seal/grommet in the trans). reinstall the starter. on the heat shield that you removed from the trans, drill a 1/4" hole in the lower front corner - you can use one of the tye wraps to mount the connector for the o2 sensor their. reinstall the shield on the trans. Follow the directions for the rest of the install. being sure that all the o2 sensors wires are away from sharp edges or the exhaust. spent 12+ hours doing the install, and yes the results were worth it. Later, Ross :flag

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
Ross,
What about CARB issues? Anything in the instructions about fitting the 6 speed?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Art - Just hope i don't get stopped by the CHP. First smog check will be in 3 1/2 years(unless c.a.r.b. changes the rules). Saved all the stock parts just in case i need to change back. Nothing yet on the 6 speed from Dynatech. but stainless works had something about theirs fitting it(but no carb number). Later, Ross

1 - 3 of 3 Posts