Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2004 SSR Redline red
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the hat, joined about 2 months ago, I'm going on vacation in a month or so and won't be using the R, don't want the battery going flat. Since I bought it this site has helped me I've had the stock throttle linkage replaced ( thanks Book)
I also bought the lower radiator support from Simple Eng. and that"s installed. My R is a 2004 Redline with 42,000 miles, can any one give me a step by step instructions on installing a battery tender, it would be greatly appreciated . I've installed them on my Harley and on my boat when I lived in Conn. Never saw the need for one in Fl. till now that is and since the battery isn't quite accessible I need to get this done in the next couple of weeks, thanks again for any help you can give.

· Slingshot Rules!
90,791 Posts

"Piece Of Cake," The Hat . . . purchase the Battery Tender Plus AUX Plug Option for about 5 bucks.

I keep the Battery Tender Plus on a shelf in the garage and gently lay the cord over the door sill so I never drive off with the Battery Tender still hooked up. Either of the AUX Plugs on the dash work perfectly and have been for about 15 years without a problem.

Good Luck.

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !

· SSR Believer
4,216 Posts
Hi Hat,

This is the Deltran 3 amp Battery Tender I've been using for about a year:

As Doophus mentioned, connecting it to one of the two power outlets in your dash or the one in the bed (just inside the tailgate on the passenger side) is much easier than directly to the battery or under the hood. This is the adapter I use:

I originally bought a 4 amp tender but it kept blowing the adapter fuse. The 3 amp has been perfect. Others here use the 1.25 amp without any problems as well and they're a little cheaper.

Hope that helps and travel safe!

· One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
30,756 Posts
I use the hook up under the hood, but I back into the garage and leave the cable draped across the windshield so I do not drive off with it hooked up.

· Registered
184 Posts
I have the Battery Tender riding in the back with other miscellaneous items and the cord sticks out through the weatherstriping. Some folks think my SSR is electric! Anyway, I copied the Deltran lable and had it laminated and attached it to a neck lanyard. Now I just wrap it around the steering wheel to remind me to unplug the charger. I can't tell you how many times I backed out of the garage to find the extension cord trailing after the SSR. OOPs!!

· Premium Member
385 Posts
The Hat,
I use a battery tender as well. For a while did not think the tender necessary. New battery, right? Did not realize our R's have computers that stay actively engaged even when the Redline is not running. After slumbering in the garage for several weeks - dead battery.

Connect to the outlet in the bed. Easy - cheezy. As a precaution, I have a clothes pin with an orange ribbon that I attach the the drivers door pull, just to remind me not to drive away connected. Also, if you disconnect the tender for a Permagrin ride, then reconnect when you return - don't be alarmed that you see a red light. The tender diagnoses your battery and will shortly return to green.

Boomer Bob

· Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
9,649 Posts
I also use the Battery Tender and use my outlet in my bed too. I drape or run the cord under the lid and down the side and in between the opening of the tailgate. Works great and yes don't forget to unplug the charger when you go to take a drive.

· Premium Member
6,159 Posts
Same as BlueStreak, only I leave the hood open, pretty hard to miss when you get ready to drive out of garage...
I usually open my hood when I drive into the garage to let the heat out. I don't use the tender unless it is going to be parked for a considerable amount of time. I have only had the battery be down once. I really don't know what was left on.

Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.