Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Gallery now shows a series of photos of the installation of the 05 Windstop on my 04 SSR.

It's relatively easy, but you do need access to a table saw. (OH MY!):eek
I figure any one who has taken high school wood shop can do the deed.

I've commented the photos to explain what I did.

Thanks Freezer for the comment about the notches in the 05 seat bumpers.

Edit: The way I've installed it isn't an easy on/off. You pretty much have to completly remove the bumpers to on/off the windstop. I hope the 05 bumpers are built with a slot that accepts the windstop by simply inserting or pulling the forks from it. The way mine is, failing to remove the bumper completely, will surely have you scraping the cockpit combing.

Edit: Come to think about it Freezer didn't say which side of the 05 bumper is notched. It would make sense for the front to be notched.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've only been out twice since the install. I'm going to reserve comment for a while. Though the shotgun commented that it made a difference. But my Dad is bald what would he really know? :lol

B

·
0 Posts
Made in USA?

The (ugly) mesh Windstop or Wind Break is made in Germany I think.
I know clear Lexan Windbaffle is made in the good old USA!! :flag

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
The seat bumpers are notched on the back so that there is more retention force on the wind baffle. It also looks better that way. I would have thought there would be bumpers included with the baffle kit. I am not sure when the bumpers with the notches would be on all of the vehicles built after a production date.

For those interested, the baffle does hide some of the chrome on the seats from behind. It also does not perfectly match the outline of the seats, but it does clear the retracting roof and that is why it is that shape.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aww Shucks.

freezer said:
The seat bumpers are notched on the back so that there is more retention force on the wind baffle. It also looks better that way. I would have thought there would be bumpers included with the baffle kit. I am not sure when the bumpers with the notches would be on all of the vehicles built after a production date.

For those interested, the baffle does hide some of the chrome on the seats from behind. It also does not perfectly match the outline of the seats, but it does clear the retracting roof and that is why it is that shape.
Aww shucks. It would have taken longer to write the email asking about the bumpers. :thumbs

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Status Report, The Elbow Effect

Unlike Florida, the weather has been really good during the last week. I’ve been able to do some extensive driving with the top down, during both the morning and evening commutes.

I did discover why I had been getting such strong side gusts. It took a couple of days before I twigged to why. It’s because I like driving with my elbow hanging out the window. That’s it! There is a jet stream that comes off the top of the mirror and hugs the window sill. My elbow deflects this blast right into the side of my head.

I’ve been left wondering why I didn’t notice the elbow effect before. I can only conclude that since the gusts were intermittent, they must also depend on some randomness in the airflow.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't actually say in the last post did I. Ok, I hate to say it but to me is seems a toss up.

It changes the backdraft noticabley. It screens the wind but there is a fast draft that slips in under the bottom and slicks down the waterfall.

·
Registered
45 Posts
baffle design

The factory mesh appears to leave too much room underneath to effectively work. I'd advise you all to chck out rhobbel's design before purchasing. His is snug annd almost invisible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts