Chevy SSR Forum banner

Installing new gas tank, change fuel pump also?

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  xoxoxoBruce 
#1 ·
My 03 with 121,000 miles has the famous gas tank leak. I took it to the dealer today and they said no problem they will fix it for free under the extended gas tank warranty and they are ordering a new one. I asked about changing the fuel pump and he said it was up to me, as GM will only pay for the tank and labor.
My question is should I change the fuel pump? (pay only for pump, no labor, while it is apart).
He didn't have a price for me on the new fuel pump.
Thanks, Walter :yellow:

#5 ·

My question is should I change the fuel pump? (pay only for pump, no labor, while it is apart).
He didn't have a price for me on the new fuel pump.
Thanks, Walter :yellow:
My answer is yes. Pain in the butt to drop the tank again if the sender or pump go bad unless you have access to a lift. Especially since you have 120K plus on the original.
When I had my Sender changed under warranty, I thought they told me they were separate units not an assembly. ???

Nick

#6 · (Edited)
I would have them change the pump assembly as well as the fuel filter. Same labor. The benefit to this is the new pump will have a warranty of it's own, so if it fails within that period, next one is gratis.
The down side is the cost at a dealer is about $450.
$211 @ ROCKAUTO

#10 ·
When the fuel level sender for the fuel gauge fails under warranty, that part is the only part GM will pay for and change. ($30 part)
The pump module includes the sender, so both get replaced when changing the fuel pump assembly. ($450 part )

The good part for Walter here is the labor time savings.
Don't forget fuel filter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.