Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since SSR's are getting scarce to see and parts no longer made How many are getting specialty car insurance for their SSR's or are you staying with a standard vehicle policy.

Im really considering getting something other than a standard policy just in case.

What say you all

Layne12gun
Redline 2005
Florida

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,048 Posts
Most of the specialty insurance has tons of restrictions and cost a fortune. Make sure you get all the details. They usually limit miles driven per year, miles from home, to and from car shows, etc.

I have a go to guy at American family and he has House, Harley's, hotrod's etc. just like me so told him give me what you have and he takes very good care of all my possessions with a very high umbrella policy over the whole mess.. No hassle and I can see him in person anytime I want to. No 1-800 numbers for me where you get a stranger every time you call and have to argue with them about everything. Good luck.

Reactions: Guzzi Guy

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Right now I have mine through State Farm. I hit a deer and they treated me very well as it was all bolt on replacement and pretty straight forward. However, I would not be sure about a total loss would replace all of the extras I have.

Probably would have to buy it back and add that to my replacement. It seems that I could buy a replacement for about $6 to $8k less than in '14.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
I have State Farm and have been very satisfied with them. I have my house, the SSR, 2010 Colorado, 2015 Can Am 2015 F3 Spyder and an umbrella personal liability policy. When my Silver SSR was hail damaged in 2010 they paid to have it fixed rather than total it out. I have never had any problems with them and also am able to go to the local agent with any claims. I have had State Farm since 1965 when I bought a 65 Nova with a 300 HP 327 V-8.

·
Slingshot Rules!
72,505 Posts
I purchased Infinity Collector's Insurance for The Bummer (1986 Jeep CJ-7) via AAA Insurance a few years ago primarily due to the "Declared Value" option.

The annual premium was not an issue but the fact I can declare $30 thousand value on both the Collision and the Comprehensive is huge.

I have never considered The Doophus but . . .

Just an FYI . . . out here Hagerty Insurance is handled by Allstate Agents. I'm not certain how deep the link goes but they appear to be the same company.

·
Super Moderator
13,939 Posts
Scary stuff
Last time I checked with my insurance company they gave me their Gold Book Value for my 2006 SSR FPR
$15000, and that is Canadian Dollars (about $12k US)
I am in the need of a replacement value contract which requires a professional evaluation.
In the meantime, I drive cautiously and hope the idiot hits someone else

BTW, in Canada we have Collector Insurance available, but it can only be gained if the vehicle is 25 years old
I believe the SSR has already achieved Collector Status at 12-15 years

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
I have insurance with a company here in Florida called Classic Collectors Insurance by Infinity. It is stated value insurance. Right now my R is insured for $40,000.00. If it’s totalled they pay me the stated value. The only restriction is that I drive no more than 3000 miles a year. But unlike most collector policies I can drive it any where I want.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Scary stuff
Last time I checked with my insurance company they gave me their Gold Book Value for my 2006 SSR FPR
$15000, and that is Canadian Dollars (about $12k US)
I am in the need of a replacement value contract which requires a professional evaluation.
In the meantime, I drive cautiously and hope the idiot hits someone else

BTW, in Canada we have Collector Insurance available, but it can only be gained if the vehicle is 25 years old
I believe the SSR has already achieved Collector Status at 12-15 years
I'm going to check mine as I have it on my regular policy. I know when I bought it, the MTO book price for tax was $1200. My agent said at 15yrs it qualifys for collector at 25yrs antique. He said the only limitation with collector is 5k km per year. Antique or classic covered to and from car events only. Don't get into an accident at the mall. You won't be insured.
Don't ya just love the insurance game? Regardless of the country you can talk to 3 different agents and get 3 different stories.

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
I have insurance with a company here in Florida called Classic Collectors Insurance by Infinity. It is stated value insurance. Right now my R is insured for $40,000.00. If it’s totalled they pay me the stated value. The only restriction is that I drive no more than 3000 miles a year. But unlike most collector policies I can drive it any where I want.
:|
I have a similer (stated value type) policy with Hagerty. They covered my streetrod for well over 20 yrs. They specialize in covering old classics/customs, etc.

The prior owner of my SSR was KGB. He lives in Las Vegas and is a soon to be retired insurance agent with State Farm. He took over the agency (as I understand it) from his father and KGB has over 40 yrs in the business. Myself as well have State Farm covering my house/bike/boat/one truck and one car. But not the SSR.

KGB was/is certainly in the "know" about such matters. He and I discussed what coverage I should get and he recommended I NOT go with State Farm but deal with Hagerty as I had done previously with my streetrod.

Most of his rationale seemed to be tied to the large (variance) in values of the SSR all across the country. He felt like a total loss or such could result in an insurance pay out far short of actual value. By going with hagerty, I know what the payout is in case of total loss.

By the way, the premium payments I was quoted by State Farm and also Hagerty were within a few dollars of each other..........Not a big difference at all.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
I drive too much

My problem with "collector" insurance like I have on my '42 Ford is that I drive mine 4,000 to 5,000 miles per year.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
My problem with "collector" insurance like I have on my '42 Ford is that I drive mine 4,000 to 5,000 miles per year.

Dave
:|

You can assess close to what you believe your annual mileage just might be and they will adjust their quote accordingly. I've never been asked year to year when insuring my old streetrod as to just how many miles I put on the previous year.

It's kinda like what number (you decide) to put down for charity donations on your tax form..... Some of that is in cash, some not...........in reality, it's not verifiable...........neither is the mileage........especially after my digital speedo quit a year and a half ago. It would say I was going 95 MPH, when I was in local traffic going about 35.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
I did a stated value policy with State farm
Deductibles changed a little on the comprehensive side..but the overall rate is the same..if it gets totalled I should have enough for a great replacement

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys for all the replies. It really gives one something to think about. While I'm driving the car to car shows . I do on occasion like t take the wife out to dinner in it or to a special event. Its garage kept and always has been. Im the second owner. But after having to replace a center hub cap and a trim piece. I have found out how expensive body parts are.. That is why Im considering a total replacement coverage policy or a collector car coverage. Your imput has been valuable .

Big Thanks to the Forum Members

Layne12gun

1 - 15 of 15 Posts