Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
SSR Design Studio
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I have an idea of producing side/door windows for SSR.
Just like the backlite, tinted. Instead of putting film on them it would be a nice classy touch I think.
I have spoken to people who make automotive glass. They can duplicate any shape/size glass any any color tint.
Just wanted to ypur opinion on this and how much an average SSR owner may be willing to spend on glass like that.
Appreciate your thoughts,
Thank you!
George
ZZR

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Hi Guys, I have an idea of producing side/door windows for SSR.
Just like the backlite, tinted. Instead of putting film on them it would be a nice classy touch I think.
I have spoken to people who make automotive glass. They can duplicate any shape/size glass any any color tint.
Just wanted to ypur opinion on this and how much an average SSR owner may be willing to spend on glass like that.
Appreciate your thoughts,
Thank you!
George
ZZR
:|
George...........In my opinion, there is an "upside" to your idea but also a "downside" for many of us.

On the plus side, tinted glass would eliminate the scuffing that occurs on the side door glass (tint) especially the bottom 1" + due to the indexing of the window upon opening/closing the doors.

However, some of us have to "play the game" depending upon what State one lives in due to restrictions on the (darkness level) of the "tint". For example, I doubt there is any (if so, not much) concern in Florida as to tint levels. It's very sunny there and many go with heavy tinted windows to avoid heat inside as much as possible.

I live in No. Carolina and heavy tint is NOT allowed and will fail the test upon inspection time each year. One has to either go with a lighter tint that will pass the "tint test" or go with a heavy tint, but then have it (stripped off) prior to inspection and then pay to have it re-tinted after inspection:frown2:

So, for that reason...........heavily tinted glass in the side doors would not work well in some states.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
In most states the max legal tint is 35% on the drivers door and front passenger door. So if you were going to do this , I would stay with 35% max. Also a tint job on the doors and back window runs about $250. So your price would need to be competitive , knowing that you will also have labor to change out the windows. I would say $300 to 350 max.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Tint darkness for Ohio

Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 5 inches of the windshield.
Front Side windows: Must allow more than 50% of light in.
Back Side windows: Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.

·
SSR Design Studio
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for te input, it woun\t be a problem to offer any %tage ting, andlike i said, any color.
I know $350 for two side windows id not for everyone, but that's the idea :)
Windsield - did not think about that one, but they can make it too. I wonde if slightly tinted windsield would be a cool option, say 15-17% tint on the whole glas,, plus the top 5" of course.

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,574 Posts
One of the SSR designers (won't mention name) had the OEM window maker make up a couple of sets of the side windows in the same factory tint as the rear windows were in.

I would not want to be him in NY State because he would eventually get stopped and then how do you remove the factory built in tint to comply with the law?
:deal:

·
SSR Design Studio
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One of the SSR designers (won't mention name) had the OEM window maker make up a couple of sets of the side windows in the same factory tint as the rear windows were in.

I would not want to be him in NY State because he would eventually get stopped and then how do you remove the factory built in tint to comply with the law?
:deal:
Well Sir you do not remove the tint. Instead you preorder the level of glass tint depending on your state requirements. That would be my best guess, aside from the option of not tinting side windows or using film.

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,188 Posts
Well Sir you do not remove the tint. Instead you preorder the level of glass tint depending on your state requirements. That would be my best guess, aside from the option of not tinting side windows or using film.
You're missing his point.

If stopped by a state trooper for illegal window tint, they can make you remove it on the spot or have it towed to be removed at your cost. That would require breaking the windows and cleaning up the mess. or paying $$$ for towing and professional removal to re install factory glass.

Is it worth it?

NOPE

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,736 Posts
I had a welcoming committee of one when I moved from Florida to California in the early 90's. He pulled me over no more than 20 minutes after arriving in El Segundo. He stated either I remove my window tint now or I will ticketed and towed. I still had my U-Haul trailer attached to the car so he had me bent over so to speak.

Dave

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Yes I had a 70 RS Camaro and had 2 options pull it off on the spot or get towed. I tried the old I will just roll the windows down. He said ok tow it, it is then. I very quickly started pulling it off.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
A lot of owners make the mistake of pulling off window tint at the direction of law enforcement. The problem with following that instruction is the lack of “due process”. One part of my Virginia based business dealt with window tinting but they lost in every case over my window tint. They cited improper equipment to my younger customers and were intimidated into removing newly installed tint. The law simply stated “Non transparent tint shall not be applied to the side windows and rear, if tinted you must have dual side mirrors with a view from the rear window of 250’. There was a major flaw in the way the law had been written and I kept tinting automotive windows until they rewrote the section. On the other side of the issue was the scratching of tint, moleskin strips are available to end that issue. The Cancer Society also acknowledges the benefit of tinted windows, it blocks 99% of UVA and UVB rays. Some of us that drive quite a bit need to simple check the left side of their face for brown spots or more wrinkles.

OLDxR

·
Registered
17 Posts
This site provides some clarification on state laws. Tint Laws My State, you can a request a Tint Waver from the DMV which will allow you to have tint, you need a Medical Doctor to fill the form out stating that the Sun is doing damage to your eyes or skin.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
This site provides some clarification on state laws.Tint Laws My State, you can a request a Tint Waver from the DMV which will allow you to have tint, you need a Medical Doctor to fill the form out stating that the Sun is doing damage to your eyes or skin.
This whole subject I would believe "jacks the jaws" of many of us. Up to seeing some of the feedback, I was of the opinion that (for example) cars licensed in Florida where they allow a fairly dark tint.....would not get hassled in other states with lower tint requirements.

In No. Carolina, I've been jerked around due to the (over the limit) tint of the front side windows, so had to get them swapped out for a lower tint. However, contrary to the "site" info listed above for No. Carolina.........they do NOT hassle ya for having darker tint on the back side windows nor the rear window.

Around here, the "drill" is to get your darker front side windows stripped before inspection and then go get 'em tinted up how ever you want after the inspection.

BIG TIP HOWEVER............. Where ever you are traveling and happened to get pulled over, the very first thing you need to do......is zip down both the drivers and passenger side front windows.........regardless of the tint.:surprise:

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,322 Posts
In No. Carolina,

BIG TIP HOWEVER............. Where ever you are traveling and happened to get pulled over, the very first thing you need to do......is zip down both the drivers and passenger side front windows.........regardless of the tint.:surprise:
=================================================

Hey, wasn't the town of MAYBERRY supposed to have been in North Carolina?!?!!! - :surprise:

images-3.jpeg

■■■ - "Citizen's arrest---Citizen's arrest!!! -- Take 'er easy thar, Barney!!" -- :laugh:

================
David :black:
images-10.jpeg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts