Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
DavidN said:
:yawn that's about right coming from them poa folks....
In reading all of those comments it would seem to me that we should all consider buying a Prowler for our 2nd vehicle....! :rolleyes:

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,400 Posts
I think they are both great "niche" vehicles and I believe both of them make it easy for their owners to become fanatics! :thumbs

Blast

·
Registered
78 Posts
SSR & Prowler

I have both and I'm pleased as the dickens with both. Got my ass chewed off on that post but it's growing back! Seems that some people don't like me calling the engineers that developed the car "idiots" and I'm rude. It's my money and I'll say what I think about them. They rushed a car to production and caused a lot of grief for so many of us that have had the issues they were shortsighted on.

As for the GM engineers, they too have left us high and dry on a number of issues. I just think that they were paid to design these cars and they should have done a better job. I don't design, I only buy!

I was told that others were subbed to make parts for the cars, but in my thinking and correct me if I'm wrong, the manufacturer had the final say on accepting the part or not. The final responsibility is still the manufacturer.

Wally

·
Registered
132 Posts
wallygator said:
I have both and I'm pleased as the dickens with both. Got my ass chewed off on that post but it's growing back! Seems that some people don't like me calling the engineers that developed the car "idiots" and I'm rude. It's my money and I'll say what I think about them. They rushed a car to production and caused a lot of grief for so many of us that have had the issues they were shortsighted on.

As for the GM engineers, they too have left us high and dry on a number of issues. I just think that they were paid to design these cars and they should have done a better job. I don't design, I only buy!

I was told that others were subbed to make parts for the cars, but in my thinking and correct me if I'm wrong, the manufacturer had the final say on accepting the part or not. The final responsibility is still the manufacturer.

Wally

Wally,

you where not rude at all as a matter of fact you where Right on..... :thumbs

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've got both!

Silver 2002 Prowler & a Slingshot yellow SSR......What I would like to say is" I am going for a ride "SSR syle".......see ya :cool

·
Registered
349 Posts
wallygator said:

Wally
Quite often, the engineer's solution for a design or a problem is overruled (or at least severely modified) by the bean counters. I know this from 29 years experience as a project design engineer and maintenance and engineering manager. It's all about money and corporate greed, and short of designing and building your own car, there is nothing we can do about it. My wife rolled the dice and paid the high price for her 2000 Lexus RX300. It has NEVER been back to the dealer for ANYTHING - ZERO problems, and I do the routine maintenance. We paid the bigger money and got lucky this time, but there are no guarantees.

Back to the Prowler. It sure is a sharp looker, but the main reason that DC didn't sell many, many more of them (if they wanted to) is the only thing that stopped me from buying one - NO V-8! And it just doesn't sound right! :(

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I talked to the local dealer, several times, about buying a Prowler. I might have bought one but never could get a reasonable price. I finally had a chance buy a new 2001 at a reasonable price but after the test drive, no, not for a daily driver. That was after a single loop around the mall.

But I'd still like to have one. :thumbs

G

·
Kind a funny, the first thing I tought was, these folks really love thier cars. I have been on several boards over the past few years, and that is the obvious common denominator.

I don't really see much comparision, but if you must:
I don't believe the SSR was in any way dependent on tyhe prowler, a less than oustanding market success. Dodge has had some killer colors , in the late 60's they had some great stuff, the prowler purple was another bold move. The SSR has very nice paint, at least the Blu, best factory paint I have ever had, orange peel and all. I drove a prowler, I thought it was light, kind of eratic, not a highway star, versus the SSR, which is a heavy highway cruiser. The prowler never had a descent power plant. Absolutely no offense, but I had similar thoughts about the very heavy SSR, until 2005. I don't recal the convertable mechanism for the prowler, but I am pretty sure it wasn't a retractable hard-top. The only current similar devices are on MB as far as I know. I recal the prowler as plain, trying to mimic a nostalgic spartan cabin. The SSR is a vette in the cabin; plush comfy leather seats, with heaters. A very nice sound system for a factory rig. all the ammenities. I forget what that prowler had, but my wheels kick-ass, IMHO.

As far as looking animated, like cartoon, a man with a prowler has nothing to friggin say about my SSR, period. On the far out scale, boardering goofy the prowler wins hands down. I think the SSR has better lines, less disjointed than the prowler, and more practicle. If I recall, the windows were tiny with the roof up, very hard to see. The ride in the SSR is better also, the prowler was stiffer, if memory serves correct.

As far as unique, I think both groups wanted unique. A quick search reported a little over 11k total production for the prowler since 1993, I can't believe they kept making it, lol. Anyway, low numbers for sure. We have about 20k to date, to suggest you see SSR's all the time now is rediculous. GM thouight thier sales sucked, but 2k a year and ya keep pushing on, that is dedication to model, hehe. While there are twice as many SSR's as Prowlers, the numbers are so low niether need fear losing individuality.

While we each like our rides, I have never understood why anyone needs to tear the other team down. We are different, we think SSR's are great, the think thier toy cars, errr I mean Prowlers are great, each to thier own.

·
Registered
78 Posts
differences

Nothing in particular but just a few musings....

The Prowler ride is stiffer (made that way on purpose).
The Prowler's top is manual.
The Prowler can accelerate 1 sec. faster than the SSR in 0-60
The Prowler can stay on the skidpad longer than the SSR.
The Prowler has better gas mileage but much smaller tank (12 gal).
The Prowler's seats (at least to me) are much more comfortable as they hug you better and are a bit softer.
The Prowler's windows are small but there is a good 180 degree view all around except for traffic lights!.
The Prowler's auotstick was a nice addition, should have been done in the early SSR auto's.
The Prowler has some of the nicest looking OEM set of chrome wheels in motion.

The SSR has a bigger cockpit for us bigger guys.
The SSR's side rearview mirrors are the best.
The SSR has big windows with good visibility except for the traffic lights!
The SSR has a bigger engine, less gas mileage and is slower in 0-60 than the Prowler.
The SSR has a pretty plain interior as does the Prowler. Lots of satin but plastic too!
The SSR seems to brake better but not sure on real figures.
As for the lines, hard to compare a fully rounded design (no straight piece on the Prowler) to the SSR which has a lot of flat areas and nice rounded ones!

Just wanted to add a few comments of my own IMHO. Gosh, I just love both of these vehicles and would not trade out either one. They both have their place and use in my world. And yes their are people who can't fathom owning one or the other, but that is why they build so many different type of vehicles. But what I really have to say is that the owners of either vehicle are the nicest, most helpful people in the car world and a pleasure to be around. They both have the passion to own, care, drive and show their babies and that is good. They can disagree and still be friends later.

On another note, as for the production numbers, 11,703 Prowlers were made and I would guess that there may only be less than 11K still on the road. If you are interested, read the Prowler story at: http://www.prowleronline.com/story.php
and get a better understanding of this vehicle. I wonder, and rightfully so, if the SSR will fade into history after the next production run in 2006. Slow seller and not very many produced, sounds like the Prowler only double the production. Personally I think the hammer has come down from GM and the SSR is history with all thier problems internally and all the red ink, a slow seller produced in limited numbers is a white elephant. You think?

Read the story, it would sure be nice to get the full story on the SSR too!

Have a great cruisn' day!

Wally

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wally you summed it up great.

I still think the Prowler gets more attention than the SSR does, having owned two of them in the past I can testify to the pros and cons of having one. I know this much that the designers really made it a safe car. I totaled my 2001 Silver and walked away without a scratch.
The SSR wins on practicality though, when you go on a trip there is no need to pull a trailer to haul all your stuff around. The hardtop makes it a super quiet vehicle with the top up, and it doesn't leak either! It's got a V8 and actually I'm getting better mileage with my SSR than either of my two prowlers got.

I have met a few special people because of the Prowler and a few of those people have became best friends of mine. I can't say that about too many cars I've owned. I'm sure I'll get that out of the SSR one day too.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Not a fair comparison . . . .

I've also read the thread. Typical responses for PRIDE OF OWNERSHIP people just like I'm sure I'll see here (just joined this morning)

However, in my case, the comparison is one of apples with oranges. As a contractor, I NEED the "pickup" feature for my tools and equipment as I use it for a work truck(breakdown ladder, saws, cords, drills, etc). A prowler would be ineffective for my work.

I've had my SSR for nearly 6 months and already have 18,000 miles. Love it, of course (PRIDE OF OWNERSHIP see above), but am concerned about the little things that my Chevrolet dealership just puts me off for.

Driver's inside door handle doesn't work (have to be a contortionist and open from the outside while neatly encapsulated inside). Was told it would be 3 days for a part and said they would call me. Two weeks later get a card from GM telling me I can pick up my part ! Dealer still couldn't fix it, so needs to order another special part (its been 2 weeks on this one). They just don't seem to care when its all covered with extended warranty and they've already collected the money for the warranty. :mad (the member that turned me on to this site, has an identical SSR to mine, including the door handle problem which took him 4 months to get fixed). :rolleyes:

Overheats badly in traffic. I turn off the air to help her, but GEEEZ, do I have to keep turning on the heater too, to pull the gauge off 260 ? I realize summer heat in the high desert (112 degree days - ambient) puts my SSR to the test, but c'mon I shouldn't have to turn on the friggin' heater ! ! That strikes me as ridiculous. :cuss

I've vented now, I'm fine. :)

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
WearyEagle said:
I've also read the thread. Typical responses for PRIDE OF OWNERSHIP people just like I'm sure I'll see here (just joined this morning)

However, in my case, the comparison is one of apples with oranges. As a contractor, I NEED the "pickup" feature for my tools and equipment as I use it for a work truck(breakdown ladder, saws, cords, drills, etc). A prowler would be ineffective for my work.

I've had my SSR for nearly 6 months and already have 18,000 miles. Love it, of course (PRIDE OF OWNERSHIP see above), but am concerned about the little things that my Chevrolet dealership just puts me off for.

Driver's inside door handle doesn't work (have to be a contortionist and open from the outside while neatly encapsulated inside). Was told it would be 3 days for a part and said they would call me. Two weeks later get a card from GM telling me I can pick up my part ! Dealer still couldn't fix it, so needs to order another special part (its been 2 weeks on this one). They just don't seem to care when its all covered with extended warranty and they've already collected the money for the warranty. :mad (the member that turned me on to this site, has an identical SSR to mine, including the door handle problem which took him 4 months to get fixed). :rolleyes:

Overheats badly in traffic. I turn off the air to help her, but GEEEZ, do I have to keep turning on the heater too, to pull the gauge off 260 ? I realize summer heat in the high desert (112 degree days - ambient) puts my SSR to the test, but c'mon I shouldn't have to turn on the friggin' heater ! ! That strikes me as ridiculous. :cuss

I've vented now, I'm fine. :)
Don't turn off the A/C. Run the A/C with the recirculating button pushed in and the fan runs on High all the time. Running mine this way, mine never gets over 210.

·
Registered
321 Posts
lloger said:
Don't turn off the A/C. Run the A/C with the recirculating button pushed in and the fan runs on High all the time. Running mine this way, mine never gets over 210.
I agree, I came home from work tonight in Freeway traffic at about 103 degree's... Had the air on and my temp never broke the 210 line. Just for fun I turned the air off and within 10 minutes I was pushing the 225 thresh-hold. One thing I did yesterday just for fun was remove the weatherstrip on the upper part of the firewall. That is the piece that seals the back edge of the hood. We have all been talking about evacuating the hot air from the engine compartment so I thought this was worth a try. I will tell you that normally in freeway or surface street stop and go at 100 degree's ambient, with the air on, I still push the 225-235 tempurature range. I noticed today that with the air on I never got past 210!!! Might be a thought for you folks that live near the sun like we do!!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
They are both Fantastic!

Both vehicles are fantastic! I would and do own both! As was stated here, they are both great niche vehicles!

Also regarding the engineering, as also stated previously, it usaually comes down to dollars. Often when a design is selected, all of the drawbacks and benefits are known. The decision is made on the basis of what is the most cost effective design and can we live with the drawbacks. Unless it is a safety issue then usually the design that is the most cost effective gets selected. I like to think that if the engineers really had their way, we wouldn't have some of the nuisance problems we have.

Nevertheless, often in the long run those decisions don't really show themselves as cost effective. Look at how many people have to have their vehicles serviced for almost overheating. It will continue to happen until there is a re-design. That will happen when the cost of repair mandates a design solution.

:seeya E :seeya

Orange SSR :ssr

1 - 20 of 21 Posts