Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're on a mini vacation in Biloxi and woke yesterday kinda late from the jet lag. Turned on Motor Trend tv and the show that was about to start was Classic Car Studios in St Louis had a guy show up with a red 2003 SSR to be taken from "cute" to Mean. That did a fantastic job on the front grill and hood, paint was awesome, interior too EXCEPT they cut the hoops off the seats making them low backs. Didn't like that. A supercharged LS8 was stuffed in at 550hp and hubs changed to 5 lug to get more wheel options. Was a good show to lay in bed sipping coffee with my bride.

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,426 Posts
Yep, there were some good things and some very questionable things - mostly changing the color to coffee brown (ick). I liked upgrading the horsepower (although it could have been done without changing the entire engine), the brakes, and especially the grill. Much of the styling of the R was based on the 50's Chevy 3100 truck, but they really dropped the ball on the grill. The 3100 had chrome horizontal strips all the way down the grill, but although the horizontal pieces are there on the R, only the top one is silver. I added Vetteman's stainless steel pieces to complete the grill, but I do like the recent post about wrapping the horizontal bars in silver wrap. I can't figure that one out unless it was cost-cutting. Back to the show, the whole thing about changing the door handles was goofy and I forgot what they did to the tailgate, but that didn't make much sense either. Removing the head/neck protection from the seats? Why?

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,426 Posts
OK, it looks a lot better in this video than it did at the end of the show. The color is nice as is the lowering, the wheels, the tailgate (without the logos), and the grill. Interior? It's OK, but I have no problem with the present one. Seat backs? Don't like it at all unless this will never be driven on the road. I really miss the hood emblem which confirmed homage to the 3100, and the replaced/upgraded side mirrors are just plain goofy. I still don't understand the big thing with the door handles. Why not just paint them?

Here's a short "after" build walk-around video...

·
SSR Believer
1,592 Posts
I didn't see any "after" undercarriage photos, but it'd be too bad if they didn't add some of SE's handling products like the frame stiffener, 4 bolt and engine cross member pieces.

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,426 Posts
I saw that too, and thought it was a pretty good idea for those who would like different wheels - there isn't a whole lot available for 6-lug wheels. I thought they replaced the entire wheel assembly.

I am curious on how they did the 5 bolt transformation.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
I just watched the walk around.

Things I like:
root beer color
tan interior
seats with the top down. It cleans up the side profile
engine if everything works
definitely the wheels
hood vents. A scoop like Eric's would have been nice.
the front grill

Things that might have been different:
rear valence. the round exhaust tips don't fit the period. Put side outs or just drop down after axle.
not making the interior trim match the body color. The brushed aluminum doe not fit.
I did not notice if the transmission was updated. the OEM auto would be a non starter for me. Put in a trans to match engine.
It needs a more functional mirror IMO. I guess these fit for a show car.

It sure is better than the one that they butchered in Speed in the New Black

IMO

Dave

·
Premium Member
5,728 Posts
That was on awhile back, believe the guy was from Florida. If you can find the old thread, SSR owners were in a uproar about the negative remarks about the truck. They were going to call the channel it was on and give them a few choice words. Don't know if they ever did.

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
2,350 Posts
Hey guy's, this is the one from Speed is the New Black. Classic car studios is the shop name while speed is the show name. Same guy's that bashed our trucks!

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I like that it's an SSR, I remember the unprofessional conversion from six to five wheel bolts was widely criticized.
I don't like the converted backrests and the outside mirrors. but that's as so often a question of your own tasteless.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry for the LS8 quote. I couldn't tell LSA with his accent. My bad hearing along with my Yankee roots. After watching the walk around video I can say I like my Blue better. For the time and $$ spent on it I don't care for it. Mirrors, I woul have done Moon-eyed mounted on the A pillars. Did then on my custom 67 Beetle and they were cool. Would look great on an SSR!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts