Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had trouble with the door handle hinge point breaking?

My door handle became loose to the point that it would not push the slide inside the door to unlatch the door. I pulled my door panel and found the plastic tabs that the handle is pinned to are broken. The tabs that the handle hinges on seem awfully flimsy.

Is there anything from Chevrolet about problems with door panel guts?

·
Premium Member
3,667 Posts
Haven't heard of it.

I've been on the website for over a year - never heard this one. :confused

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,147 Posts
I just heard through the grapevine that a friend just had one of his door handles break. Haven't talked to him to find out which one yet. So here's a second one. I told him about this site a while back but haven't seen or heard from him on here yet.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
dingbat said:
I just heard through the grapevine that a friend just had one of his door handles break. Haven't talked to him to find out which one yet. So here's a second one. I told him about this site a while back but haven't seen or heard from him on here yet.
Is your friends an 05 or 04? Maybe this has something to do with the redesigned door!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Mine started to not open the door sometimes. This past Thursday, it broke all the way. The only way to open the door is with the outside handle. I work at a dealership and they have been unable to get the part from GM, so far.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
broken door

The party that I purchased my 05 from had to have the driver's door handle replaced. Iv'e had no further problems with it.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
woohoo: Yeah, that SSR is a real party animal. Not surprised to hear you nought yours from a party! :lol

Jim G

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Party Animal

YEP.... INSTEAD OF A RHINO ON MY HOOD, I HAVE A GREAT BIG CAKE...STILL WAITING FOR THE CHIPPENDALE DANCER TO JUMP OUT OF IT. :lol :reddevil

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Mine Broke too !

I posted a thread about a month or so ago about my interior door handle breaking also. We have a 2004. The hinge for the interior handle is part of the door panel and is plastic. Not a very good set up.
Went to our local Chevrolet dealer and they had a new door panel in about 3 days. They put the '05 panel on and so far so good. I have not requested the 05 panel on the passenger side, kinda like it the way it is.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You Have All Jinxed Me !!!!

Everytime you all post about a new problem I haven't heard of yet, My poor "Lenore" gets it !!!! :banghead
After reading this post today, went to pick up the boss from work, and the door handle started acting up... Takes 3 tries to open it!!!
Or maybe it's just "Lenores" way of telling me she doesn't want me to leave :lol
I also had the "tink" problem fixed, until I read a post, then that driveshaft started "tinking" AGAIN . Guess it is time to go back to the SSR doc. I am now on a first name bases with everyone who works there!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Uh Oh.... David

I just got back from the shop with ours. We had this UNUSUAL problem with Hot Sausages coming out the right side tailpipe! :lol :party
:party :party :party

·
Registered
73 Posts
What are the differences between the 04 and 05 door panels? Is it any easier to get to the seat adjuster buttons?

Am I the only one who would like an "easy entry/exit" function? My Z06 has it. The seat will go all the way back and down to facillitate ingress/egress.

I have been using the "2" function for this, but occasionally I hit the "memory" button and screw up the seat settings. The "memory" button should be on the bottom, so it gets hit less.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My 04 drivers door handle broke wednesday with the pass side just about ready to break also :mad . GM Tech said he would order the parts to fix both sides. After reading the above post I better double check with him on his parts order. Sounds as if you have to replace the whole door panel. Oh well still the most bitchen ride out there bar none. :thumbs

Gary & Susan Wright
Decatur, Illinois
04 Silver ssr
04 SLK 230
1941 Willys Coupe

·
Registered
89 Posts
Monday the 04 got it's malfunctioning driver's latch fixed, started out to be a couple tries to unlatch, finally quit entirely, shortly after the body computer ate itself, shortly after the optional gauges ate themselves. Well, no tink....

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am still waiting for the parts to repair my inside door handle (driver's side). It has been a month so far, parts says eta is mid-September. Seems like a safety issue, if you cannot open you door and get out in a hurry.

Is anyone else waiting for parts for this?

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
door handle is so cheap, amazes me . . . . .

QnHouston said:
I am still waiting for the parts to repair my inside door handle (driver's side). It has been a month so far, parts says eta is mid-September. Seems like a safety issue, if you cannot open you door and get out in a hurry.

Is anyone else waiting for parts for this?
My '04 Ricochet Silver purchased in Feb 05, had the same problem. It worked for awhile by trying 2 or 3 times as a previous poster stated, then quit altogether. Another SSR identical to mine starts cruising around the Starbucks I hang out at in Valencia. Introduces himself and give me the address of this site (thanks, Terry). Turns out he had the same problem and it took months to get it fixed.

Chevrolet Dealer said "we'll get the part in 2-3 days and fix it in a jiffy"......Well, 2 weeks later GM notifies me that "my part is in, come pick it up". Dealer was supposed to call me, really screwed this up. She apologized, but wanted me to make an appointment to get the handle fixed ! ! I said you said just a "jiffy". They relented and worked on my SSR for about 45 minutes and said they need to order the whole assembly. I assume now a complete door setup for a '05. That was 2 weeks ago. I can't believe this from an American manufacturer ! ! Very disappointed in the service from my dealer (Rally in Palmdale, CA). :mad

Meanwhile, I have to go through the contortions to open my door from the outside. I agree it could be a real safety issue: Accident, car in water, all electric gone, window won't go down. Door won't open ! ! (Can you say Ford Pinto-type lawsuit ? ? :rolleyes: ) GM should take care of this and RIGHT NOW ! !

Gary

·
Registered
221 Posts
Chevy dealer has had a new door panel and inside door handle on order for My 2005 for about two weeks now. They had already worked on it three times and ordered and changed the latch assembly, but no luck it just got worse. Now I can only open the drivers door with the outside handle. They also have a console gauge set on order because the volt gauge reads 16 volts whenever the truck is running.

Rich

1 - 20 of 115 Posts