Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears the Gentex rear view mirror has both amber and cool blue interior mood lighting capabilities according to the Gentex web page.

< http://www.gentex.com/wn_interior_lighting.html>

Quote from web regarding mood lighting....
"But perhaps the most interesting aspect of Gentex's Orca technology is that the blue-green and amber chips can also be illuminated independently. This allows the lamps to bathe the vehicle's interior in either a warm-yellow or cool-blue light. "

Would like to change my amber lighting to cool blue. Searched the manual, can't seem to find any info on doing this. Seems to be no technical link on the Gentex web page for info.

Does anyone have directions or any info on this possible change from amber to cool blue?

Thanks....I think that cool blue would look pretty neat with my pacific blue and chrome package. Plus it may also not reflect off the chrome as much and be slightly dimmer.

·
Registered
234 Posts
FarmTruck,
This is a very interesting thread. I felt pretty stupid last night (the first night out) with the SSR and I thought that I had left a map light on. I would like to switch to blue as well.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Would love to switch this light to Cool Blue as well.. soooo

<bump>

·
Registered
374 Posts
Focks said:
Would love to switch this light to Cool Blue as well.. soooo

<bump>
I think this was answered in another thread. The mirror sold to Chevy for use in the SSR has only amber/white LEDs.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Here is the Link <~~ click here
For the mirror with the compass and outside temperature.

If you don't care about the compass and outside temp, scroll further down the page, and you will find "Part #50-GENK42" It comes with the cool blue interior lighting, as well as amber or white lights. I am wondering if enough people were to ask about the mirror with compass and outside temp and cool blue, if they would make some up for us.

Just an idea and I will call them tomorrow to see what the judgement is.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
It's been reported that the compass doest not work properly because of magentic field interference from the folding hard top. That's why GM never put it in. Why have a compass if it's not accurate. There are other posts on this subject. Just thought I might save you some time. Or you can ask MITO if there is a wat to put a fixed antena some where out of the interference zone to get a accrate compass reading?

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
STORMCAT said:
It's been reported that the compass doest not work properly because of magentic field interference from the folding hard top. That's why GM never put it in.

That is the same story I got from Mito this morning. As far as getting the other mirror, "Part #50-GENK42" this mirror does the same thing as the stock SSR Mirror, but also has three different lights in it. An amber one, a white one for reading maps, and a cool blue to soften the interior at night. And you can turn them off comepletely if you want.

This can only be bought from a dealer. and not from the Mito.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Focks ...did they tell you

...did they tell to how to change the stock mirror from amber to cool blue, if possible.
It was my understanding from the manufacture info that the mirror could provide or produce either blue or amber mood lighting.

Forgive me if I missed it somewhere....

Just a point of info and clarification since in different posts we have been talking about a different mirror i.e. one with a compass.

Just wondering since I guess I helped start this issue.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
My understanding is that the part number I mention comes with all 3 lights, and you can push a button to rotate from light to light and then off and on.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Change the bulb.

All you have to do is change the bulb. The plastic covers pops off and the bulb then pops out. The bulb kind of looks like an in-line fuse. Buy the blue bulb and you are in business. Where you buy the bulb? I have no idea.

Matt

·
OP
8,226 Posts
temporary

STORMCAT said:
It's been reported that the compass doest not work properly because of magentic field interference from the folding hard top.

True, but the misreading is only temporary. Only when the top is ini operation, then the compass recalibrates and is accurate, but that mis-step prevented GM QC from passing it, otherwise it would have been included.

I will order this temp/compass mirror once we find out the proper hook up, I believe from the earlier post, someone is working on it.

These mirrors can be ordered and/or purchased from many vendors, not cheap, but I have seen their displays at truck supply houses and such in the past.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts