Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a post that someone was making a thick foam blanket that rested on the shelf behind the seats. I have used the search engine with no success.

Any ideas ?

·
Blues Brother 08/2016
137 Posts
Search for RNR. Road noise reduction. I just bought it and it is very good and worth the price. Beats the pillows or the beach blankets that I had stuffed back there. Jim

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Welcome to the Texas R's

Search for RNR. Road noise reduction. I just bought it and it is very good and worth the price. Beats the pillows or the beach blankets that I had stuffed back there. Jim

That's right a great product. And it's just up the road in Georgetown, Tx. Our Texas R's leader Larry Jones (HotSSR) make them.

Even better, we are having a Tech-Day in Georgetown Feb. 9th and would love to meet you.

The Texas R's have a great leader in the San Antonio area, and we have Newsletter for all the events in Texas. Would have to send it to you.

Email me at: [email protected] And if you ever have any questions about your SSR you can call me 972-814-8805

Hope to see you soon,

Frank

·
Blues Brother 08/2016
137 Posts
IMO Dicktator is always the one who leads the way in improvements and knowledge. Start simple and then add increasing complexity. So buy the RNR, that is easy and will always be a benefit. If that doesn't do enough, then start with the lining the the truck with sound proofing mats. Dicktator looks like he used the commercially available product. I have "soundproofed" three R's now and have used the roofing product available from Lowe's as others have done (Instant Waterproof Repairs 6-in x 25-ft Aluminum Roll Flashing Item #: 154017 | Model #: PS625 $15.28). Others smarter than me have researched the specs on commercially available products as well as the Lowes product and found them to be similar. The Lowes product is about 6 inches wide and is easy to handle. It really sticks because I have had to modify some installations (a little too aggressive) and it is a bugger bare to remove. Use the wooden wallpaper roller to adhere the product you choose.

The doors are important. The Lowes product is easy to install on the outside skin of the door and really easy to install on the inside as Dicktator's pictures show. If you install on the outside skin of the door you will dramatically improve the sound quality of the stereo speakers.

The first R I soundproofed the roof compartment and the second two I removed the waterfall and soundproofed the area behind the seats (not the roof compartment) by removing the carpet as far as I could (essentially to the seat tracks). The results were the same except you don't see the soundproofing when you put the carpet back.
Jim

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,956 Posts
I bought aluminum foil at Lowes in 3 foot roll, can do 5 SSR, doors/roof compartment.

I also did floor/cab while my seats were out to be upholstered.

I did roof headliner for heat/sound (Don't bother) waste of time/material on roof steel headliner, enough space to insulate without aluminum foil.

I did whole bed area, (don't bother) waste of time/material.

I am glad I did door panels, floor, roof compartment, that was a noticeable improvement.

Dicktator

Attachments

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,956 Posts
You need to do soundproofing in roof compartment on vent. GM started doing this soundproofing in mid 05 as part of production. They then made available a "kit" to do fix.

LOTS of noise with vent in front of rear tires with "no" soundproofing! Roof compartment is an open "tin" can when roof is UP.

Look up: ROOF VENT SOUNDPROOF

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

Dicktator

1. Kit from GM, cost $40.00 did not include tool. Price 12yrs ago.
2. Vent off, see outside fender panel, "no" insulation.
3. Buy Ceramic sponge at Home Depot/Lowes, $1.98, (lot less than $40.00), cut to 4"X6" and then in half, bingo, soundproofing kit.
4. Use tool or screwdriver to "pry" plastic vent off outside wall. (GM wants you to remove tire).
5. Sponge held on outside fender wall with clear waterproof silicone caulk.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The sound damper from Larry and Sue Jones really makes a difference in the cab ; when on course chip & seal pavement. Tire roar is reduced.

Kudos to Larry and Sue !

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
If all else fails crank up the volume on the radio. The R N R worked wonders for mine.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
What road noise?? I just unplug the hearing aids!!

In all honesty I guess I have low expectations. It's a convertible truck... a combination of the two most noisy vehicles on the road. Then we go and stick on loud mufflers and big honkin' stereo systems. I guess I just expect a lot of noise from these things and I love every minute of it.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,395 Posts
What road noise?? I just unplug the hearing aids!!

In all honesty I guess I have low expectations. It's a convertible truck... a combination of the two most noisy vehicles on the road. Then we go and stick on loud mufflers and big honkin' stereo systems. I guess I just expect a lot of noise from these things and I love every minute of it.
If it is too loud just turn up the loud pedal with the right foot.

Reactions: Guzzi Guy

·
High Plains Roadster
258 Posts
I put the sponge foam covers on the vents in the roof compartment as Dicktator described above. I also use the RNR (Road Noise Reducer) during the winter when I don't plan to drop the top. Yes, the RNR is a much better choice than stuffing a blankets or towels in the gap. Besides, the SSR is too classy a vehicle for that sort of approach. Both of these have made a significant difference in reducing road noise.

The more extensive sound proofing described would obviously do more but I never considered the R to be exceptionally noisy compared to other trucks I have owned. I never expected it to sound like a Sedan DeVille. Besides, I am too lazy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts