Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to help someone remove and replace a defective power outlet in the lower dash but having issues. Has anyone taken out the power outlets and remember how they come out or have a detailed picture?

Yes, I have bought the tool. Yes I tried the screwdriver trick to depress the 2 tabs. Yes, I read the manual, etc..... but nothing I do releases the metal insert. I know this has to be something really simple but this simple task has me very frustrated.

Only thing I can think of is something with the plastic surround needs to be depressed but I cannot see in there nor can I feel around very well.

Help

·
Registered
502 Posts
Repair Instructions
Cigar Lighter Housing or 12 Volt
Accessory Power Receptacle
Replacement
Tools Required
J 42059 Cigar Lighter Socket Remover
Removal Procedure
1 Remove the 12-volt power supply or cigar
lighter fuse.
2. Remove the socket by placing one side of
the "T" portion of the tool J 42059 into the socket
and into the square window tab.
3. Position the opposite "T" portion of the tool into
the opposing square window tab.
4. Pull the socket straight out of the retaining ring.
5. Remove the tool from the socket.
6. Disconnect the electrical connector from the
socket.
7. Using your finger, remove the socket retaining
ring by pulling the retaining ring out of the
mounting hole.

Installation Procedure
1. Position the retaining ring to the mounting hole.
2. Index the key to the retaining ring to the slot in the
mounting hole.
3. Install the retaining ring by pressing the retaining
ring into the mounting hole until fully seated.

4. Connect the electrical connector to the socket.
5. Position the socket to the retaining ring.
6. Install the socket into the retaining ring by
pressing in the socket until fully seated.
7. Install the 12-volt power supply or cigar
lighter fuse.

J 42059
Cigar Lighter Socket
Remover

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
It really would have been nice if the cigar/power outlets were on the ignition switch so power would stop when the ignition was turned off.
Should you have a radar detector or CB radio pluged in it would shut off when stopped for a resturant. Many years ago I contacted
Chevrolet with no help what-so-ever. LAZY ONE

·
Tech Support/Research
1,735 Posts
Power Outlet Removal

Here’s one method to remove the power outlet.
1. Clean the backside of the socket (barrel) of any accumulated dirt. The outlet is a snug fit within its housing and dirt will make removal more difficult.
2. Note that the chrome socket is retained by two plastic tabs that need to be expanded internally to release it (GM has a special tool for this).
3. Without the special tool I instead use a pair of internal/external snap ring pliers with 90 degree nosepieces attached as shown in the photo to expand the two plastic tabs that secure the socket in place
4. Push the socket forward and out of its plastic housing. If necessary, you might also consider the use of a lubricant or penetrant on the outside of the barrel to ease removal.

Attachments

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, after spending more time trying to do it correctly I ended up bending the outer ring inward and pushing it out backwards. Was much easier, replaced and working well. Not looking forward to the next one........

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Well, after spending more time trying to do it correctly I ended up bending the outer ring inward and pushing it out backwards. Was much easier, replaced and working well. Not looking forward to the next one........
That will also work! :thumbs

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,385 Posts
It really would have been nice if the cigar/power outlets were on the ignition switch so power would stop when the ignition was turned off.
Should you have a radar detector or CB radio pluged in it would shut off when stopped for a resturant. Many years ago I contacted
Chevrolet with no help what-so-ever. LAZY ONE
I for one am glad the power plugs don't turn off with the key. That is where my Battery Tender Plus is plugged in and keeps the system fully charged at all time.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
In my case the vehicle is used year around and tending to the battery is not a priority. There should be an easy way to switch over to
non-enabled when engine is off. Of the three units up front there should be at least one configured that way. Oh well, life sucks and
then you die. LAZY ONE

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In my case the vehicle is used year around and tending to the battery is not a priority. There should be an easy way to switch over to
non-enabled when engine is off. Of the three units up front there should be at least one configured that way. Oh well, life sucks and
then you die. LAZY ONE
There is a fairly easy way to do it. Simply disconnect the passenger side power outlet at the base of the dash and rewire it to the proper powered fuse behind the seats. Using a simple fuse tap you can run power from a different source and get the power only when the key is on. Would need to be careful about where you get power and how much you draw from where you tap from it but the items I plug in are minimal draws.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
There is a fairly easy way to do it. Simply disconnect the passenger side power outlet at the base of the dash and rewire it to the proper powered fuse behind the seats. Using a simple fuse tap you can run power from a different source and get the power only when the key is on. Would need to be careful about where you get power and how much you draw from where you tap from it but the items I plug in are minimal draws.
Thanks for the input, Drago2U.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts