Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
8,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marc, www.autonews.com has an article today headlined "disappointing sales of SSR gives headaches to dealers". Article says there is a 301 day inventory of SSR's sitting on Chevy dealer's lots. What is the normal, or suggested, inventory that GM wants for their vehicles? Just how much in excess is this 301 day amount? Thought you might know.

I didn't really know that answer so I asked someone that I thought might know more on this topic and I got this short but informative e-mail back.

"...We wanted 200 days... the gist is everyone who wanted an SSR has one. They have 17 weeks of downtime scheduled for next year!" :eek

·
Registered
45 Posts
inventory

I believe that is dead on. We all share the same sickness and enjoyment of a vehicle that's probably not a very good truck or car, but we love em anyway. Now that we were all gouged, there's no-one left to step up.

Are there any deals out there on '05 6-speeds? I for one want to stay in an SSR, but wuld welcome the additional power and more responsive transmission.

·
Registered
407 Posts
We may be going the way of the Prowler except that the SSR can be an everyday car (like for me) and regardless of inventory levels, reduced value, current pricing, etc. I love my SSR and love driving it each and every time.

I paid full sticker and thought I got a deal at the time and while of course I wish I had paid much less I am completely satisfied.

rick

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,814 Posts
The sad part

With slow sales, how long will it take for the General, to be willing to try something away from the security of the “look alike clone cars” again?
I wanted a SSR since my first sighting at Cobo, but they where priced out of my ballpark. Poor sales have pushed prices down, and I see them still dropping. Now I will buy cheaper than I would have paid before, if they had priced them right. I would like to see them keep making them even if small #’s. I liked the comment about who wouldn’t want a 54 / 55 vet, and they did not sell well at first. The thing is the Vet’s are still made, and this is what gives them the value, “heritage of a winner”. Now remember the “Feairo” (spelling) is there still a club. I’m still buying a SSR, and getting close. But the real big problem down the road is parts. (I’m Canadian EH! So I gave a nickels worth. Sorry.) :rolleyes:

M

·
0 Posts
Can anyone get us the article that appeared in automotive news? You have to be a subscriber to read online. :seeya

·
Premium Member
9,218 Posts
I checked it out today - you can sidestep your way into it by clicking the Autoweek icon on the right corner, the clicking onto the article. Worked for me - I didn't think I wanted to pay the $140.00 for an annual subscription.

Ray

·
Administrator
8,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
AutoWeek Article!

Scott 0168 said:
:thumbs It worked, thanks. I printed the article out for my scrap book!

Below is a reprint of that article:

Shine off SSR: Disappointing sales, 301-day supply of roadster pickup gives GM a headache
ROBERT SHEREFKIN | Automotive News
Posted Date: 12/13/04

SUPERIOR, Neb. -- The showroom at Alexander Motors Inc. here is so small that it can hold only one vehicle. For the past three months that's been a bright red 2004 Chevrolet SSR.

Problem is, dealer Rick Alexander didn't want the $42,245 roadster pickup. And he hasn't found a buyer.

He is not alone. This year, SSR sales through November totaled 8,538 units. That's far below General Motors' original annual U.S. sales target of 13,000 units.

The automaker's backlog of unsold SSRs is even more telling. As of Dec. 1, GM had 7,400 unsold units, for a 301-day supply. Automakers generally aim for a 60-day supply.

Chevrolet wants every dealer "to have the opportunity to get an SSR," says Chevrolet spokesman Joe Jacuzzi. "But we are not forcing dealers to take them."

Small, rural Nebraska dealers got them anyway. Alexander says that while he ordered the 2005 model, he didn't want the 2004 SSR. But one day in September, a car hauler showed up. "I could have halted delivery," he says, "but Chevrolet might have shipped it right back."

Alexander's dealership in Superior - a one-stoplight town and the hub of Nuckolls County - has two SSRs.

If the GM marketing wonks are right, Alexander is going to have a tough time getting rid of both. The SSR's target demographic is a male college graduate with a median annual household income of $130,000.

But Nuckolls County is a struggling farming area with 4,800 residents. Its median household income is $28,958, according to the latest U.S. Census Bureau report.

Alexander has tried to sell both SSRs on the online auction site eBay, with no luck. He thinks the 2005 model will be easier to sell because it has the more powerful 390-hp V-8, which has 90 hp more than the 2004 version.

Toby Miller, owner of Miller Brothers Inc. in Valentine, Neb., has a similar story. When he learned that an SSR was allocated to him, he tried

to cancel. But a GM representative told him, "There is nothing I can do. It's coming."

"I was lucky enough to find a guy to buy it," says Miller, who sells just 50 new cars and trucks a year.

The SSR was supposed to be a halo vehicle to generate excitement - and sales - for Chevrolet's other nameplates.

A market study by Foresight Research of Rochester, Mich., predicted that hubbub over the SSR would generate an additional 22,000 sales of Silverado pickups. Several companies paid for that study. One of those companies was ASC Inc. of Southgate, Mich., which builds the SSR for GM.

GM has resisted putting incentives on the vehicle, but a Chevrolet spokesperson says it's possible. To be fair, the SSR is not the only niche vehicle with a high inventory. For example, the Chrysler group has a 185-day supply of Dodge Vipers and a 286-day supply of Chrysler Crossfires.

And GM has had other nameplates with even more bloated inventories. Remember the EV1? In October 1999, the company had a 13,000-day supply of the vehicle. The electric-powered EV1 has since gone out of production. c

Staff Reporter K.C. Crain and Industry Editor Chaz Osburn contributed to this report

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm Confused... How could GM have only sold 8,538 SSR's? That means half of the SSR's built are still on the dealer lots?

·
Registered
277 Posts
New SSR's

Two local dealers must know something?????? Clippenger Chevrolet has four SSR's of a possible five cars in their showroom and Richard Hibbard Chevrolet has three SSR's in his showroom, which has only room for three vehicles, and four more new SSR's on the lot, all 2005 models, all automatics.

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
target demographic is a male college graduate with a median annual household income of $130,000
Not me either - My degree is from Stinky U - as my Pepe Le Pew t-shirt says...

..and if I made that kinda dough - that new Aston Martin would be parked next to my SSR!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts