Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has ever had this done to their SSR.

It's a clear plastic like material that covers 1/2 of the hood down to bumper to protect it from rock chips. I was even told it can be placed over the headlights. I was told today that I have several rock chips on the front of the SSR. I knew about three of them. Althought small,my body guy told me I had several and is suggesting this process. Has anyone ever had this done?

He says it's a wonderful material and with stands rock chips extremely well.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,069 Posts
Protective film

Deb,

Talk to AMPMOP.... He swears by the stuff he has on his. It is kinda pricey, but he said his paid for itself..... Remember the thing that hit his hood and took out his windshield? The coating took the first hit and avoided the paint chip. Probably absorbed enough energy to avoid the dent as well.

I'm going to get it done to my new truck.

Mike

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,271 Posts
Haven't done it yet but I have done some research. Do some reading on it in other car forums before deciding on what to do. Most say that the 3M material is better than most other products due to thickness and workability. The best price I have found so far is here at http://www.autopaintguard.com

Kinda pricey to say the least at around $400 for the entire kit ..... I did find some on EBay for around $30, for some reason I don't think it's the same :)

Good luck in whatever route you take.
:seeya

hotrodgirl said:
I was wondering if anyone has ever had this done to their SSR.

·
Premium Member
31,282 Posts
I have the 3M film.

I had it done just a few days before the homecoming trip. The entire front end, mirrors, and headlights are covered. I also had the short section just above the windshield done as I already had one tiny pin-sized chip up there too. It's not perfectly glossy (it actually looks like a paint job with moderate orange peel), so it's visible once you get up close. From about 5 feet away, it's hard to see it (you can usually catch the separation line), and from 10 feet or more, you'd never know it was there.

Cost me around $900.

This is not what I'd consider a do-it-yourself application. Not that decal film is very hard to put on, but it's hard to put on a compound curved surface like the SSR.

·
OP
8,225 Posts
you bet

Mikem-2005 is correct. Do a search on invisible bra. I probably will never own a new car or high-end vehicle without having the bra installed, pricey but worth it for the piece of mind and avoiding the hassel of paint/dent repair.
If I could cover my entire vehicle in it, I would, inside and out... :thumbs

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
My Xpel's been on for a year and a half. Check the threads for more info. It has saved my a$$ a number of timesl

1 - 8 of 8 Posts