Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gas station down the street from where I live recently changed "brands" from Mobil to Shell and the new "management" installed two new underground tanks one for diesel and the other for RV Gas (90 Octane ethanol free). I very much like the idea of using ethanol free gas in both my 2005 SSR and my 2000 C5 Corvette (LS 1). Just wondering if the 2005 LS 2's were engineered and manufactured to use pump gas with 10% ethanol without causing any long term problems. I have been using 93 octane (Premium) ever since I have owned the C5 (since 2014) and so far have not noticed anything going wrong with the engine, exhaust or fuel systems...so far anyway. Tried doing a search about when the manufacturer's made the "switch" to making the engines safe to use fuel with 10% ethanol but not really able find anything really clear about that.
The cost of using RV gas (90 octane) along with 8 oz. of a high quality octane booster to bring the Octane up to 93 would cost about $20.00 more for a fill up (25 gallons).
To get rid of the ethanol in the systems of either vehicle can only be a plus I would think. :thumbs
Any help would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
soundhd, I use only Premium 93 Octane Shell with V Power in my LS2 and it runs fine. If I have to fill up with another brand, I always carry a bottle of Octane Booster just in case I need it. Had the "R" 9 years ... never used 100% Petro.

tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I was using 10% in my 05 and switched to a 94 Octane and I certainly found the power that was lacking with the cheap gas.. I as well keep a bottle of Octane Booster with me just in case...

Cadiman

:black::black::black:

Don't know where the E85 part came from ... Brain fart..:imsorry:

·
Daily Driver
8,940 Posts
Is A 2005 LS 2 Made to Use Pump Gas with 10% Ethanol Without Any Issues?
Of course it is. Think about it, it's a CHEVROLET for god's sake. Do you really think GM would put any engine in any car/truck that would self destruct on the wrong octane fuel?
All engines for the last 20 years or so are controlled by a bunch of computers, and the mandate given these computers by every manufacturer is don't do anything that will cost the company money. That means first and foremost don't harm the warrantied vehicle.

Ethanol burns cleaner and with more power than gasoline. It's better for your engine, but it cuts gas mileage by 30%.

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
I was using E85 in my 05 and switched to a 94 Octane and I certainly found the power that was lacking with the cheap gas.. I as well keep a bottle of Octane Booster with me just in case...

Cadiman

:surprise: Sure didn't know you could burn E85 in an LS2. :ssr

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,261 Posts
I was using E85 in my 05 and switched to a 94 Octane and I certainly found the power that was lacking with the cheap gas.. I as well keep a bottle of Octane Booster with me just in case...

Cadiman

E85 in our trucks?????? They were not built for it and I am sure would run like crap. E85 is 85% alcohol (ethanol) and 15% fuel. Vehicles need special programming and equipment to run it properly which we do not have. Normal ethenol at the pump is around 10% and the R will run fine with that.

I normally ran regular in mine, always from a "top tier" station and never had an issue. Sure, there will be a slight performance decrease when using regular but the engine adjusts for whatever you are using. I doubt that anyone could tell the difference if they were blindfolded and rode in a truck with premium vs regular in a non tuned truck. E85? Just no way I would attempt it.

The manufacturers water down the normal fuel with 10% alcohol nowadays, but when they offer true non watered down fuel it is normally at a much higher price than just a 10% price increase. That Sucks!

·
Daily Driver
8,940 Posts
Moscooter. I suggest you go back and read your link again, this time for comprehension.
The question was about 10% not E-85. Learn the difference.
The question was about LS-2 engines, not some 70's muscle car.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,026 Posts
LS2 motor is a high performance motor. All tuners say burn pure gas, no Ethanol and as high of octane that is available. We have 91 octane in our state without ethanol so I add a can of Torco racing fuel to bump it up. Most of us run about 5000 miles a year or less so if you add up the difference in cost it is very minimal. About $150.00 a year. Not worth damaging anything. Ethanol is very hard on seals and has very little power and you burn alot more of it so the cheaper price is mute.

·
Premium Member
2,616 Posts
Any car built in the last 20 years will run fine on 10% ethanol - all the car manufacturers expected that would be the case and designed for it!

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
Moscooter. I suggest you go back and read your link again, this time for comprehension.
The question was about 10% not E-85. Learn the difference.
The question was about LS-2 engines, not some 70's muscle car.
:|
Bruce,

I'm quite clear about the difference between E-85 and the 10% mix normally found at most pumps anymore. I'm not at all a fan of the ethanol at any level of mix. I recognize that most modern cars/trucks are capable of handling the 10% stuff without issue.

But as a Harley rider, I know any greater percentage ala the E-85 could/would be harmful to my bikes engine. Furthermore, I've had to spend money on repairs of my gas powered blower due to the contamination caused by that ethanol stuff. It's caused many problems for users of small gas engines in lawnmowers, chain saws, etc. Boat owners mostly hate the stuff and lots of repair dollars down the drain in the marine industry to fix related problems.

Bottom line, it's a political fiasco supported by the farmers that grow corn and the Senators from those states e.g. Iowa and surrounding states.

It should be ended and no longer supported as another subsidy..........but likely won't happen.:frown2:

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Ethanol

In Ohio during the winter months, the feds (EPA) mandate 10% ethanol in our gas. It supposedly helps the cars warm up faster and have less emissions, but it burns more fuel due to less efficiency. Waste of time and fuel. The EPA does not want to hear it even though it has been proven.
Running E85 when your vehicle is not a "flex fuel" vehicle will destroy the fuel system starting with the lines and the injectors.
Some states choose to run 10% ethanol all year (even though it is allowed to go to 15%). No matter what fuel (brand) you run in a mandated state, it has ethanol.
There was a time when I sold gas at my station, that I could refuse ethanol, but that was 15 years ago. No choice today.

·
Daily Driver
8,940 Posts
:|
Bruce,

I'm quite clear about the difference between E-85 and the 10% mix normally found at most pumps anymore. I'm not at all a fan of the ethanol at any level of mix. I recognize that most modern cars/trucks are capable of handling the 10% stuff without issue.
That's it, question answered, our work here is done.

But as....
There is no "but as", you're bringing in to the conversation fears, back in the days, unrelated machinery, bench racing gossip, and politics.
Trying to determine if the Ethanol lobby or Petroleum lobby is more evil is way beyond our scope.

I reacted badly to a bee sting when I was 10, so all bees must die forever.

There is what appears to be a sizable portion of our membership who don't have any automotive background at all beyond making payments and turning the key. That's fine, they like the SSR and that makes us family who help each other out. Part of that is helping them sort through the crap they hear that brings up questions like this, not add more confusion with extraneous information.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Ethanol was a solution to a problem that did not exist. Ethanol was forced on the public by congress from the corn growing states. Pure alcohol does burn cooler than gasoline, but it is nowhere near as efficient. It takes way more to produce the same power. Years ago we ran alcohol in our go carts. We had to use over 50% larger jets to get them to run good but you could lay your hand on the cylinder head. Just my opinion. I do not use any fuel with ethanol in my SSR or lawn power equipment. I do use the the standard fuel in my 2010 Colorado with the I5.

·
Super Moderator
13,933 Posts
Sometimes I am only a conveyor of information of somewhat significant interest but not necessarily of too much pertinence

1GCES14P53B100315 - 3.JPG 1GCES14P53B100315 - Ethanol 85 Fuel.JPG 1GCES14P53B100315 - HRPT.JPG 1GCES14P53B100315 - Paint mule perhaps.JPG 1GCES14P53B100315       WD1 Pilot.JPG

This was one of the Original 68 WD1 Pilots - #315
This SSR may have been called SSR Corn Likker
Pic 1 shows E85 on the driver door

BTW, pretty sure it was Rebel that provided these SSR historically important pictures :thumbs

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,367 Posts
All Texas pumps (All Grades) have a Decal----"May Contain Up To 10% Ethanol" no choice!! And there are at least 1 or 2 cars in Texas!

Nick

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
It's simple, actually. Go to the gas station. Pick the octane rating you want. Fill up ur truck. Go throttle the snot out of her and don't give it a second thought. No damage will occur because of the fuel you feed your baby. GM has seen to that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts