Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our local car club does not recognize an SSR as a classic car. They welcome me to park at their weekly shows but not participate in any fun events. Looking up the definition of classic car you can find many definitions but the one I relate to is it "being unique, limited production cruiser with great collectible potential" . They are often sold by Gateway Classic Cars. I am looking to improve on my argument that the "R" is a classic and present my case to the executive. Any suggestions or examples of why it should be considered a "Classic". Thanks

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,641 Posts
I have the same problem here in Rapid City South Dakota. There are two major car clubs here. I can park my SSR with hood up, sit in a lawn chair, visit with car buffs, etc. but I can not actually participate in any of their car shows or runs or club activities. It all boils down to their by-laws which state your car has to be made prior to 1985. They are kind and friendly just very matter of fact. I can not join. Period. I even suggested they have auxiliary members that would help with club activities etc. but NO! Their loss I guess.

If you check most car clubs are not Classic, they call their cars and trucks Custom or Hotrods.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,759 Posts
Sorry but I don't think the SSR fits into Classic either. Classic in my circles are usually considered to be 1972 and earlier. The SSR is more of a Modern Muscle car than a classic to me. Also I don't consider any car that relies on a factory computer for any function to be considered classic.

·
Registered
2004 UV
1,190 Posts
Would not fret it guys your with a group here that's 10 times better then a car club with their silly rules, as Dictator says no rules, no meetings, just show up and have fun. Whats better then to go to a rally or get together with 50-100 people in their R's cruise to different places and enjoy the day.
As far as what makes a car a classic most say it is a car 25 years or older so we have 10-11 years to go, get out there and enjoy the ride.

·
Super Moderator
14,094 Posts
This may be way off base but:
- were you born in the fifty's?
- what did you consider a vintage car when you were a young man?

When I look back in my yute and had my first car - 1957 Ford in 1966 at age 16, a 1952 vehicle was outdated and old, yet a 33 Ford was just ancient!
Think about where our people were in 1900 and what has happened in 118 years - how we are escalating exponentially in all parts of life

A 1940 vehicle was ancient to me in 1965 - a 1955 vehicle was a classic
As each decade arises, we close in on a vehicle status - outdated like a cell phone
Things happen so quickly in our world these days

As to what is considered classic, we need to consider the vehicle - what will future generations consider collectable?
There are some that will definitely fit the status, but so many cookie cutters - but has that not been the case over the years - just less volume

IMO, the SSR deserves Collector status now - insurance companies will not see it this way
Our SSR's are a rare example of a Concept Vehicle that made it to the market

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,594 Posts
IMHO ~~~ I'm thinking Jolly might be trying his best to fit in with a bunch of people with their noses way up in the air. - >:)

To go strictly by age means that its possible to have a rusted-out POS 1978 Ford and be accepted by the club. - :frown2:

Our trucks are totally unique and have no reference point of comparision. :smile2:

Yeah, to me my SSR is a classic!! Just look at its lines. They are gorgeous and without peers. I LOVE mine....regardless of what anybody else says or thinks. - :wink2:

===============
David :black:
images-9.jpeg

·
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
1,890 Posts
Ask the people at Philadelphia/Grundy Insurance, they insure my CLASSIC TRUCK! :blue: :flag

·
Premium Member
6,850 Posts
This don't answer you question about Classic but "Good Guys" has a Rod and Custom car show this weekend in Nashville it is open to 87 and older.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I take my truck to car shows because their are people that appreciate our trucks. I don’t go for trophies because I believe that I only want to be judged with other SSR’s. I used to own an Avanti and would only go for trophies when I was judged only against other Avanti’s. Just hang out with other SSR’s where you will be accepted. Attend all the rally’s you can.
Bob

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
This don't answer you question about Classic but "Good Guys" has a Rod and Custom car show this weekend in Nashville it is open to 87 and older.

Good guys, at least in Arizona, has all American Sunday. If it’s made in America you can bring it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
SOLD 04 UV Metallic (7/1/12-6/28/20)
1,205 Posts
Sorry but I don't think the SSR fits into Classic either. Classic in my circles are usually considered to be 1972 and earlier. The SSR is more of a Modern Muscle car than a classic to me. Also I don't consider any car that relies on a factory computer for any function to be considered classic.
Question: If someone swaps an "LS" engine into a 67 C-10 truck is it a classic since the engine is computer controlled?

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,759 Posts
Question: If someone swaps an "LS" engine into a 67 C-10 truck is it a classic since the engine is computer controlled?
My meaning is that the 67 did not rely on a computer to run the truck. Computer controls did not come into play till around the late 70s early 80s at least for the GM stuff I have worked on.

What a classic, hot rod, street rod, custom, you name it can be debated or argued for a long time. But in the end the important thing is to enjoy your vehicle and call it what ever you want.

Around my house everyone calls it my hot rod truck. It is the farthest from the fastest, or most modified of all the vehicles I own, but that is the name we stuck on it. And if some car club won't let a person in that wants to help and support their group it really is their loss not yours.

·
Super Moderator
14,094 Posts
Maybe we should dissect Classic/Collectable
Collectable to me is a vehicle that is a low production, can be a more recent model - Flassh might opine here as he has been a leader of a major car show for years
Classic may be 1972 or older, but that age line was drawn by 50 year old guys that are now 70 and refuse to extend the lines
That line was drawn because of the emissions crap and there really weren't a lot of vehicles built that might be considered "Classic or Collectable" as the 70's evolved, the 80's 90's.

So, if you want to draw the line for Classic as 1972 (I think it should be 1970) - so be it.
Collectable is a different issue, many vehicles through the next 4 decades are collectable.
The SSR may never fall into the Classic category by the "guys" that establish the guidelines, but it is definitely Collectable

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
There's a group here in East Texas that holds a "Car Show" every month at a different venue. I went to two of them when I first got Woodstock. Snottiest bunch of old farts I've ever encountered. Wouldn't come near the SSR. I tried small talk, complementing their rides etc., to no avail. They made it clear I was not welcome. Oh well, their loss.:grin2:

:yellow:
Willie

P.S. I would think the SSR is more a "collectable" than a "Classic." YMMV

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,834 Posts
My truck is fairly well modified mechanically and visually. But I do not feel slighted by car shows as the rules have been set for years before I bought the R. People who have hot rod or rebuilt old cars as bone stock. People who have spent time and money into their cars to have their personality come through. They don’t want someone like me and my R to drive off the lot and into the show. (Like not paying our dues yet) Hang on our time will come, and we “will be rare”.
There are many more shows you can be a part of that are open to all.
SSR events maybe should have more truck shows, where we compete against our own class. I was lucky enough to be best of show in Maggie valley against over 100 SSR’S. That was humbling and to this day most satisfying. Because it was with 100 of the best looking trucks that all wherein same age range and started life looking similar off the lot. The fanatic’s there knew SSR’s inside and out. You could not find better judges for the SSR than people that own one.
To Jolly go to the show and park just outside the event. Watch how many people walk over to check your truck out. Let that be your reward.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts