Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I now have the rad tank and supercharger tank done out of polished aluminum. The evil genius who built the supercharger tank says my plastic clutch reservoir sucks, and that he can build me an aluminum reservoir that I would then polish to match the other containers.

It would be very easy to build out of aluminum tubing with a top tab that replaces the existing bracket arrangement.

I just don't want to create a situation where the brake fluid corrodes the reservoir, and potentially causes damage to the system.

If someone has a spare reservoir, it would be great to know the OD of the outlet at the bottom. I really don't want to remove the tube from the current reservoir and risk breaking it just to take a measurement.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
I now have the rad tank and supercharger tank done out of polished aluminum. The evil genius who built the supercharger tank says my plastic clutch reservoir sucks, and that he can build me an aluminum reservoir that I would then polish to match the other containers.

It would be very easy to build out of aluminum tubing with a top tab that replaces the existing bracket arrangement.

I just don't want to create a situation where the brake fluid corrodes the reservoir, and potentially causes damage to the system.

If someone has a spare reservoir, it would be great to know the OD of the outlet at the bottom. I really don't want to remove the tube from the current reservoir and risk breaking it just to take a measurement.

Thanks for any information you can provide.
The current master cylinders on your R are cast aluminum, if that answers your question. There are some real nice aluminum reservoirs already out there, if you don't want to bother making one. I can look up the info on mine if you're interested.

·
Premium Member
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The current master cylinders on your R are cast aluminum, if that answers your question. There are some real nice aluminum reservoirs already out there, if you don't want to bother making one. I can look up the info on mine if you're interested.
Thanks for the reply, Ken. I didn't realize the master cylinders were aluminum. All good with that part of the project.

I haven't had much luck searching for a reservoir so it would be great if you had a brand I could look for. I'm especially interested in how it mounts. I removed mine from the mount to check, and it looks like it would be fairly easy to have a horizontal tab that replaces the current metal mounting bracket, making the whole thing one piece.

Is it fairly easy to remove the lower hose to check the OD of the tube in case I get one made here? I don't want to risk breaking the plastic one before I'm ready to replace it.

I just got a cap with the bellows on it, and would want to use that with one of Dragon2U's billet cap covers, so would like one with the same thread size as the stock reservoir.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Ken. I didn't realize the master cylinders were aluminum. All good with that part of the project.

I haven't had much luck searching for a reservoir so it would be great if you had a brand I could look for. I'm especially interested in how it mounts. I removed mine from the mount to check, and it looks like it would be fairly easy to have a horizontal tab that replaces the current metal mounting bracket, making the whole thing one piece.

Is it fairly easy to remove the lower hose to check the OD of the tube in case I get one made here? I don't want to risk breaking the plastic one before I'm ready to replace it.

I just got a cap with the bellows on it, and would want to use that with one of Dragon2U's billet cap covers, so would like one with the same thread size as the stock reservoir.
I'll bump the thread "Clutch Decision" - there are some pics of what I came up with there. I believe I commented in that thread that my line from the reservoir was almost falling off, so I don't think you'll much difficulty with yours.

·
Premium Member
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'll bump the thread "Clutch Decision" - there are some pics of what I came up with there. I believe I commented in that thread that my line from the reservoir was almost falling off, so I don't think you'll much difficulty with yours.
Thanks, Ken

I did more searching last night, but I'm leaning towards the homemade version. I'll get it made out of 2" aluminum pipe and have the threaded top cut out of a billet piece. I'd like to use the existing mounting bolt on the fender of the truck for a welded tab, primarily because I can mount the existing cap to the raw tank first, and rotate the tank so I can have the tab welded in exactly the right spot so that the SSR logo on the cap faces forward at exactly the correct angle. I'd rather not risk damaging the cap trying to break the epoxy loose so the position of the aluminum cover can be changed. Talk about being anal!!!!

We'll see how it turns out, but its amazing how easily aluminum polishes out. I was able to completely sand out all the welds on the supercharger tank. I showed the finished product at our car club DQ night on Thursday. Couldn't believe how many people wondered how all those right angle bends could be made without any welding. I intentionally left the rear weld on the mounting plate.

Likely a project for next winter will be removing the Dragon2U rad tank, and making the welds disappear, including on the sight glass bung.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Thanks, Ken

I did more searching last night, but I'm leaning towards the homemade version. I'll get it made out of 2" aluminum pipe and have the threaded top cut out of a billet piece. I'd like to use the existing mounting bolt on the fender of the truck for a welded tab, primarily because I can mount the existing cap to the raw tank first, and rotate the tank so I can have the tab welded in exactly the right spot so that the SSR logo on the cap faces forward at exactly the correct angle. I'd rather not risk damaging the cap trying to break the epoxy loose so the position of the aluminum cover can be changed. Talk about being anal!!!!

We'll see how it turns out, but its amazing how easily aluminum polishes out. I was able to completely sand out all the welds on the supercharger tank. I showed the finished product at our car club DQ night on Thursday. Couldn't believe how many people wondered how all those right angle bends could be made without any welding. I intentionally left the rear weld on the mounting plate.

Likely a project for next winter will be removing the Dragon2U rad tank, and making the welds disappear, including on the sight glass bung.
Man, you are way, way, out of control - looks nice though!

·
Premium Member
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man, you are way, way, out of control - looks nice though!
C'mon, man. I'm only out of control with the simple external stuff. You and Jerry are way out of control on the internal workings - which I have zero understanding of.

By the way - really happy with how the Hurst linkage works. It's slightly louder than the stock linkage, but also much tighter. I guess the factory mounting has its good and bad sides, but the good of the Hurst far outweighs the bad.

I was able to simplify the shifter installation by cutting out the unneeded metal that interfered with the mounting bolts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts