Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many have scraped a wheel.

For some reason I have scraped both front and rear drivers' side wheels. I think that the configuration of the fenders sticking out and the profile of the wheel/tire is the culprit along with my not realizing my proximity to those cement curbs. Very frustrated.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
been there, done that

Did it turning into my driveway, drive thrus are the worst..... :leaving

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Didn't want to admit it...but I have hit one wheel :mad

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts
ha ha ha

I did park like my old grandmother. Get out and look at a 2 foot gap to the curb, just a little over cautious. I found those $1.50 round concave mirrors help as you can see your tires in the bottom.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rebel, Like your idea of the mirrors to see the wheels. Hey what about those metal rods that my dad used to put on the fenders in the '50s.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
I'm guilty

Got a front and back rim scuffed. :(

·
Registered
66 Posts
Me Too

Me Too...... left front. first day of ownership.(Ug) The devices were called curb fellers or whiskers.....
Semper Fi
Joe

Attachments

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,105 Posts
Scaring myself

I have discovered that when you go in and out of a parking garage, if you can reach the ticket machine from the driver's seat, your back fender comes WAY too close to the machine. Kinda like driving a dually...........

Definitely scared the _ _ _ _ out of me.

I sympathise with the marked wheels. I am holding my breath for the first contact of my chromes with a curb...... Hope it is me and not my wife.

Mike

K

·
0 Posts
Not only did I scuff the rim, but I took a chunk out of my tire! I might've been taking the corner a little too fast. :mad :mad :mad

·
Registered
164 Posts
The painted rims can be fixed...

Those of you with the painted rims can get them fixed... had that done twice :mad ... the car wash was the culprit and they paid for the fix on both front and back rims... Ok.. so now you can bash me for being too lazy to wash it myself.. just don't have the time to do it often enough. But I'm planning on trading the painted ones in on chrome in the near future, so I'm not that upset any more. When I dinged the first one, I took it to the local Firestone place and they had it fixed overnight. My dealer also quoted me a price to get them fixed, but it was about $50 more than the Firestone dealer.

B

·
0 Posts
Thats the main reason why I changed tires on my SSR. The Toyo's have rim protection bead also. I think they handle better than the stock tires. Also wear better. Just had to go to a 275/45r/19 on front, but no rubbing of any kind. Have the same size for the back. I just used 315/35r/20 on back. the combination gave me about a 3/4" difference stance front to back. front .4" taller, back .4" shorter.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
After a while you get used to it. I scraped them a number of times. But not in about a year now.

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
All four of mine have marks. Maybe it's time to get them fixed.

Houtex, how many miles you have on the odometer now?? Have almost 32K after the trip to michigan and elsewhere around the Northeast. Almost time to send in the Extended warranty application.

P/P

Peace :flag

1 - 16 of 16 Posts