Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So as members here recommended I contacted North Freeway Hyundai to see if they'd want to buy my SSR. It's in the for sale section of the forum. I was thinking about 30,000-32,000 because of all the mods and very low mileage (22k miles). They offered me $13,000 and.... Edit.... Am I crazy or is this a low ball offer? .. Edit....

Edit :I took out my comments regarding the employee since he was having a bad day and has since apologized. No need to mention that.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
your $30k to $32k is not realistic as is the offer from North Freeway. I would put a price of $20k on your ride since it is a 2003 regardless of the options and mods installed.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
22k miles? Really? I probably would just hang on to it.
your $30k to $32k is not realistic as is the offer from North Freeway. I would put a price of $20k on your ride since it is a 2003 regardless of the options and mods installed.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Yup, I agree with sbubbaaklein.

Sadly, most mods do not help resale value at all. Especially high performance mods. When you do mods on a vehicle, you have to do it because you like it. Not to realize increased resale value. Most buyers shy away from highly modified vehicles for fear they have been abused.

North freeway is actually not too far off for a wholesale price (maybe a couple of grand). Remember, they will have to ship it, do a complete detail on it and fix any niggly little things, pay a salesman to sell it, do all the paperwork and house the vehicle until it sells plus, make a profit.

Considering everything you've stated about your truck, I'd ask a retail price of $24K and hope someone offered $22K. Or... you can keep it and go throttle the snot out of it. It sounds like a very fun ride.

just my $.02

·
Premium Member
9,414 Posts
NFH is in the business of selling vehicles for a profit, so must purchase at wholesale. They rarely purchase 03s or 04s, preferring 05s and 06s.

The supercharger adds very little value to the truck for a dealer, so they won't offer any more than they would for a comparable 03 without one.

Sorry to hear the salesperson was rude. He should have told you they weren't interested, and wished you good luck with the sale.

If you check their retail prices, they have a 2003 with 53k miles, fully optioned, with custom wheels, for under $20k.

Starting from that price, adding in $2k for shipping, and some money for prepping the vehicle for sale, it seems $15k would not be out of line at wholesale.

You have a well equipped truck, but even assuming you could get $5k for the supercharger, it's still a $25k truck at RETAIL.

There are always lurkers on the SSR site looking to see what is available, and you might find a customer here. You are more likely to find a buyer on AutoTrader or Cars.com, or even on EBay by setting a reserve.

First suggestion would be to check all the above to see what 03s are selling for. That should give you realistic expectations for a selling price.

Good luck with the sale.

·
Premium Member
7,432 Posts
Flassh, you're right on it !! If redssrloaded can get a Dollar a Mile for his SSR he better jump at the offer. Personally I think that would be a great price for his "little red truck" tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
Spirited driver!
1,741 Posts
Real-world example: I bought my one-owner '06 9 months ago which had 11,100 miles and every option (3SS, chrome, carpet, etc.) for $23,900. I was also considering a '04 with supercharger and 22,000 miles on it for $22,000 at the time.

Sorry :crying:

·
Spirited driver!
1,741 Posts
Yes, I did get a good deal but it shows you what dealers are up against. I would have been happy with mine as high as $27k but it is definitely a buyer's market right now.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for your input. I will consider all this and make a decision soon. I am now leaning toward keeping and enjoying it a bit more. For that price, I should probably run it into the ground and then sell it for parts lol. I would probably get more out of it.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I got bent over when I traded mine (expected), but at 127k and in need of MULTIPLE components that seemed to be at the end of their life (trans, top pistons, knock sensor, belts, radiator, struts, tires, etc. etc) it was time. MAN do I miss my R, but didn't have the time and money to bring it up to snuff. When I get settled in Florida hopefully there will still be a buyers market now that I've learned a bunch about the SSR on this site for 6 years thanks to all of you.

·
Premium Member
7,432 Posts
Yes, I did get a good deal but it shows you what dealers are up against. I would have been happy with mine as high as $27k but it is definitely a buyer's market right now.
Really like your closing cliche/remark "If it doesn't turn turn you on when you turn it on ... drive something else" !!! :ssr :black: :yellow: :silver: :blur: :purple: :blue: and two tones of all colors. tennesseecozydog

·
DFW TX Crew
1,440 Posts
Two years ago I bought my 03 with 38,000 miles on it for $21k. It is not SC but I honestly would not want one that's highly modded.

Even if you listed it for $24-$25K would be a tough sale as I could easily get a decent mileage 05 for that money and similar power in the 05 without any mods.

Josh

·
Slingshot Rules!
77,360 Posts
I find these posts to be very disturbing . . .

Regardless of how much the customer believes his vehicle is worth, any vehicle not just an SSR, and/or how much they are expecting to receive for it . . . for any Company Representative to HANG UP on a customer is OUTRAGEOUS and EXTREMELY UNPROFESSIONAL.

Definitely NOT a company worthy of my business and especially not a referral.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,797 Posts
I find these posts to be very disturbing . . .

Regardless of how much the customer believes his vehicle is worth, any vehicle not just an SSR, and/or how much they are expecting to receive for it . . . for any Company Representative to HANG UP on a customer is OUTRAGEOUS and EXTREMELY UNPROFESSIONAL.

Definitely NOT a company worthy of my business and especially not a referral.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH.
Having been there and talked with the principals, I think maybe a call or note to the dealer expressing displeasure with the actions of a Named employee would be in order. Not that it would get you a better offer, but might save someone else the same treatment.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,638 Posts
I dealt with them and finally purchased from them and they were wonderful to me. Of course I did a cash deal. They picked me up at the bus depot and took me to the dealership. Showed me how to work everything on the truck and in a couple hours I was off to South Dakota. I left so fast I didn't get all the paperwork so they fedexed it to my door by the next day. Super service, super friendly, super polite. My opinion is the asking price was so out of line the sales person may have thought it was a prank call or a scam call and just hung up. That is what I do to those kinds of calls. If you know anything about the car business they buy low and sell high. The difference is the profit which goes to the business, the sales person, the other staff, any repairs the vehicle needed to get it ready for sale, etc. This is the cold facts, a vehicle is a commodity. Extras and add ons have no value. In order to establish the value the dealer looks at the books on this, comparable vehicles on the internet etc. Then he backs up about $3000 or $4000 back of low book and that is where he starts his offer. When the seller and the buyer settle on a price the dealer adds $4000 or $5000 onto the cost to cover the expenses covered above and that is the PROFIT I talked about. If the dealer pays over full retail price like this seller wanted the dealer is in the hole from the get go and makes no profit. That is not a business. That is called a hobby. My 2 Cents.

·
Premium Member
7,432 Posts
VERY well put Auggie Doggie !!! Have called them 3 or 4 times regarding a particular SSR they had in stock and they were very friendly ... never rude. I think you was right on it when you said "the asking price was so out of line the sales person may have thought it was a prank call or a scam call and just hung up" The next time I drive mine to Nashville, I'm going to go over to Auto Master's high end pre owned dealership, on Lebanon Pike, and just see what they are willing to give me. tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,638 Posts
VERY well put Auggie Doggie !!! Have called them 3 or 4 times regarding a particular SSR they had in stock and they were very friendly ... never rude. I think you was right on it when you said "the asking price was so out of line the sales person may have thought it was a prank call or a scam call and just hung up" The next time I drive mine to Nashville, I'm going to go over to Auto Master's high end pre owned dealership, on Lebanon Pike, and just see what they are willing to give me. tennesseecozydog :ssr
If they were to sell yours for say $25,000.00 they will offer you about $18,000.00. That would give them a little wiggle room for you and for them. See if I am close on this. Let me know.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts